The Fiio X5 Thread
Feb 17, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #15,826 of 19,652
I'm just guessing: The ten EQ bands have no hard boundaries, but permeate and thus add to each other. So if you care for a flat response between as large as possible an aera, you necessarily end up with dropping-off extremes, since outside of them there are no frequency bands anymore which would add to the curve, compensating for the individual drop-offs outside of their center frequencies.

Yes, that is essentially correct.
The EQ bands do overlap and will add to each other, for example, if you boost adjacent bands, the two bands will combine to boost the frequencies between the centre frequencies of the bands..

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #15,829 of 19,652
  Gents,

maybe someone can help me figure something out. I've been running some tests with copper vs silver cables, and I have found a consistant and repeatable difference in the Group Delay within the 45-51Hz region

Pink is silver, black is copper

what is this group delay and how would it affect the audio? the fact that it is only (afaict) in the low bass region, seems to contradict the usual "silver is brighter" idea

Sorry, but my ears noticed an increase in brightness when I replaced stock for Headphone Lounge's silver lidz for my 846s.
Oh, and thanks for answering my original question about the X5's EQ.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #15,830 of 19,652
  Do you know if DSD DST file support is on the FIIO plans to X5?

Regards!

The X3 II is said to play DSD natively. Currently the X5 converts to PCM on the fly. In order to play DSD natively through an external DAC you need to put it in a FLAC wrapper (DSD over PCM).

I think you'll find X5 already supports DSD.  Ain't never heard of DST.  Could you elaborate?

There is no mention of DST (compressed DSD) support and I don't know of any player that supports it. I'm guessing that it requires too much processing power to make it viable for the few who would make use of it. Would certainly save a lot of storage space, though.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #15,831 of 19,652
From Joe in the X1 thread...........

1. The equalizer is off when it is off on the X1.

2. When enabling the equalizer in the X1, instead of just dropping the digital gain to make digital headroom like in the X3, it also raises the analog volume to compensate. Thus volume 88 with EQ on corresponds to full analog volume with EQ off. This behaviour also proves that the EQ is really off when it is off.

This would be a great implementation on the X5 if it could be done (crosses fingers).

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #15,832 of 19,652
Question
If you wish to create a playlist on the player itself, it says new playlist 1,2,3 etc.
Where are these stored? on the SD card? Is there a way to backup the playlists created with the internal device?
Is there a way to name them etc. to add mutiple files at once to a playlist on the device, WITHOUT aid of computer?

Thank you.

Also are there any good solutions for mobile battery charging?
I had one mobile battery bank ordered from a chinese site, but the fiio X5 doesn't charge with it, just switches off.
Any compatible recommendations?

Anyone know if a 1 Terabyte USB HDD will work? and if so which one you know to be compatible? Or is 750 GB the max? (as Fiio stated they would support 1 TB. *750+250 of the SD's?)

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #15,833 of 19,652
  Question
If you wish to create a playlist on the player itself, it says new playlist 1,2,3 etc.
Where are these stored? on the SD card? Is there a way to backup the playlists created with the internal device?
Is there a way to name them etc. to add mutiple files at once to a playlist on the device, WITHOUT aid of computer?

Thank you.

Also are there any good solutions for mobile battery charging?
I had one mobile battery bank ordered from a chinese site, but the fiio X5 doesn't charge with it, just switches off.
Any compatible recommendations?

Anyone know if a 1 Terabyte USB HDD will work? and if so which one you know to be compatible? Or is 750 GB the max? (as Fiio stated they would support 1 TB. *750+250 of the SD's?)

I've got 2 Romoss battery banks that work perfectly with the X5

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #15,836 of 19,652
  The X3 II is said to play DSD natively. Currently the X5 converts to PCM on the fly. In order to play DSD natively through an external DAC you need to put it in a FLAC wrapper (DSD over PCM).

There is no mention of DST (compressed DSD) support and I don't know of any player that supports it. I'm guessing that it requires too much processing power to make it viable for the few who would make use of it. Would certainly save a lot of storage space, though.

You're right.  The X5 converts on the fly to 88.2khz if I recall rightly.  Not sure why it doesn't convert to 176.4, assuming I'm in any way correct.

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #15,837 of 19,652
These models support DSD without converting to PCM
http://bt-test.ru/reviews/obzor_audiopleera_qls_qa360_apparat_prishel_v_chernoj_korobke_i_zazvuchal_kak_shalyapin/
http://hi-news.ru/audio/obzor-pleera-cayin-n6-novichok-s-zayavkoj-na-liderstvo.html

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #15,839 of 19,652
please, do not start a file type and format discussion in here;
there are people who belive that adding empty bits of daca does not help at all. there are people who belive that if music is recorded between 20hz-20khz, adding any empty pieces of data is useless. 
and there are people who belive otherwise.

if you want a reason for x5 to exist, it is a very very amazing quality for the money, considering storage and all; At this price up to this date it is the only dap that sounds as great, has 2 microsd slots, can be used as a DAC has enough power, and the sound itself is amazing, and looks and works nice, at this price.
most competition is either lacking lacking in one of these places or it is much more expensive.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #15,840 of 19,652
Originally Posted by skerry2006aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

if you want a reason for x5 to exist, it is a very very amazing quality for the money, considering storage and all; At this price up to this date it is the only dap that sounds as great, has 2 microsd slots, can be used as a DAC has enough power, and the sound itself is amazing, and looks and works nice, at this price.
most competition is either lacking lacking in one of these places or it is much more expensive.

+1

Although I think DX90 (unfortunately only 1 microsd slot) is pretty much on par in the same price league...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back