The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 24, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #15,316 of 19,652
Hm, I do have a modded FW installed, but its modded over 2.4 so I dunno why I'm still experiencing the lag...
The lag was present with stock 2.4 FW as well.

The lag has to do with a choice between loading album art quickly or listening to music quickly. Without album art there is no lag with the information, or there shouldn't be enough to complain about.

For the sound quality of the X5 at this price something has to give and it seems like the buffer for art is what has been sacrificed. Early on with the first FW the art would load quick but the music lagged. There was a revolt and FiiO changed it.

I listen to my DAP so that's where I prefer the speed priority when changing songs. I don't care if the album art and info takes 0.693018251 seconds to load instead of instantly.

Edit: If you haven't done so already reducing your album art to 500x500 or less it would likely load faster.

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #15,318 of 19,652
I've been thinking of just hooking up X5 to my laptop and using MP3Tag to remove all album art to save mSD space, X5 memory, and speed up the UI. Has anyone stripped all album art from their files? If so, has it made your X5 faster?

When I play tracks with no art work the info displays near instantly (using my new theme no less). 
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #15,319 of 19,652
The lag has to do with a choice between loading album art quickly or listening to music quickly. Without album art there is no lag with the information, or there shouldn't be enough to complain about.

For the sound quality of the X5 at this price something has to give and it seems like the buffer for art is what has been sacrificed. Early on with the first FW the art would load quick but the music lagged. There was a revolt and FiiO changed it.

I listen to my DAP so that's where I prefer the speed priority when changing songs. I don't care if the album art and info takes 0.693018251 seconds to load instead of instantly.

Edit: If you haven't done so already reducing your album art to 500x500 or less it would likely load faster.

Ah I see, most of my album art is 500x500 so I guess I'll just have to live with it. Not a big problem though and the sacrifice is worth the SQ in my opinion. Thanks for the explanation~

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #15,321 of 19,652
Awesomez!!!

Did you drop in a smaller font file in your mod? After TheoS53 started doing that, I found pretty noticeable speed improvement from that alone.

Actually no, I have all the font and languages the same as the official FW. I only did the visual tweaks. Works well enough for me but you're right, TheoS53's theme is a bit faster.

Off topic but I looked at the X1 FW and they are able to change the text colour in all levels of the interface. I'm sad to see this is not available with the X5 FW customization. ARE YOU LISTENING JamesFiiO or Joe Bloggs?! It would be truly awesome to change the theme config.ini file and it actually changed the text colours like on the X1.

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #15,323 of 19,652
You guys removed the extra languages as well right? I want to leave those in but I'll try the fonts. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #15,325 of 19,652
Well, not explicitly removing extra languages. It's up to the font we choose. I like using the Ubuntu font, which is used in an international Linux distribution, so I imagine it's passable for international folks :)

Haven't had any complaints about lack of international compatability yet.

I see. I just thought I read 'English only' somewhere. We can take this to the custom thread. :wink:

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #15,327 of 19,652
EXPOSURE!!!!!

:D

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #15,329 of 19,652
about album art. after experimenting with it, if it is embbeded in the file, the file load much slower and is prone to skipping and stuttering, and noise. i used only mp3tag.

my advice is to keep only one cover.jpg in the folder with songs, it works much faster and it is problem free.

removing the album art should only be done when the files are on computer, then you transfer them to microsd. This is because removing the album art does not empty up the space continously, but it empties small parts of space.

Jan 24, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #15,330 of 19,652
I've been thinking of just hooking up X5 to my laptop and using MP3Tag to remove all album art to save mSD space, X5 memory, and speed up the UI. Has anyone stripped all album art from their files? If so, has it made your X5 faster?

Heya nmatheis,

I stripped out all album art from my files when I first got my X3 (before getting an X5). I figured there was no point trying to look at a static image on a tiny screen (plus my eyes are old and crappy). I have never experienced any lag with the X5 - everything is zippy.

Hope this helps

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back