The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #1,366 of 17,484
I have been on the latest FW 1.0 for a few days now and it is really stable. In fact, I haven't resetted it since FW 0.89 two weeks ago. I think most of the major bugs have been ironed out.

HOw does it sound? Is it better sound quality than an ipod 5.5g through a lod?

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #1,367 of 17,484
Quote:
HOw does it sound? Is it better sound quality than an ipod 5.5g through a lod?

I never listened to an iPod 5.5 before, but the link to the review is on the thread title and you will find a few comparison there.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #1,369 of 17,484
CleiOS, Does this need an amplifier to sound better? I'm actually frustrated with amps (charging, cables, bulk etc,) and would like to know if this sounds great right out of the box.

Thanks
it sounds great, as it's an E17 dac/amp but can also play music. :wink:

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #1,370 of 17,484
Quote:
CleiOS, Does this need an amplifier to sound better? I'm actually frustrated with amps (charging, cables, bulk etc,) and would like to know if this sounds great right out of the box.

Thanks

It has been covered on the review so I am just going to quote it:

Quote:
Sound Quality
Objectively, RMAA measurement shows X3 as an impressive device: flat 20Hz-20kHz with very low noise and excellent stereo crosstalk. The same result is also confirmed by FiiO’s own measurement using their Audio Precision tool (and published in their website). Output impedance is measured to be around 0.3ohm. Output power (both in voltage and current) is compatible to that of E17 and most good portable amp in the market. Line-out is 1.7Vrms – short of the common 2Vrms line level standard but far exceeding the old iPod 0.55Vrms. Headphone-out at max volume (60/60) is 1.47Vms for low gain or 2.94Vrms at high gain with 1kHz test tone. All and all, the measurement points to a very solid player that should have no problem driving anything from low impedance CIEM to 300ohm full size.

One last question to answer: Does X3 needs amping? To put it short and sweet, no…well, mostly. There is very little to gain (and even positively lose) in sound quality by amping the X3. Unless we are talking the top of the line (ToTL) portable amps here, say O2, JDS Labs C5, FiiO own E12, UHA-4, etc , otherwise the benefit of amping is simply not there. The internal amp of X3 can rival the SQ of just about any mid to upper-mid range portable amp. The basic design of X3’s DAC and amp section come from E17 Alpen. But FiiO pumps the voltage up a little more on the X3 so the overall SQ is actually better than E17, most noticeably in overall dynamic and cleanness of the sound, given that X3 doesn’t have to deal with any possibility of USB noise, jitters, or ground loop. But even with the ToTL portable amps, the increase of SQ just isn’t night and day. So whether it is worth carrying another piece of gear is really a question of whether you will find the improvement substantial enough in your own rig. In my own opinion, X3 is already an excellent all-in-one solution.

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #1,371 of 17,484
Quote:
it sounds great, as it's an E17 dac/amp but can also play music.
wink.gif

yes, the output power is a little bigger than E17.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #1,372 of 17,484
Thanks a lot, I didnt think of it that way. I had the E17 a year ago, but gave up on all portable amplifier because of hassles (for me that is)
It was a great little device but now knowing it will have bigger screen and play music, gives me a sign of relief.
Quote:
it sounds great, as it's an E17 dac/amp but can also play music.
wink.gif

Sorry, I just skimmed through the review and overlooked this part. I was thinking 10 hours might be to short compared to the walkman Z. Less charging, more longevity of the device. I hope they can bump it up a bit more to atleast 15 hrs (as someone mentioned earlier through an update)

Quote:

It has been covered on the review so I am just going to quote it:

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #1,373 of 17,484
it just seems a bit unclear to me that the X3 has a little more power than the E17 when ClieOS says its (X3) high gain setting is equivalent to the medium gain of E17.. Does that mean X3's power is a bit more powerful than E17's medium gain but not the high gain? Sorry if this creates confusion to some but I'm a little bit confused too.. Hope someone clarifies this. Thanks..

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #1,375 of 17,484
Quote:
it just seems a bit unclear to me that the X3 has a little more power than the E17 when ClieOS says its (X3) high gain setting is equivalent to the medium gain of E17.. Does that mean X3's power is a bit more powerful than E17's medium gain but not the high gain? Sorry if this creates confusion to some but I'm a little bit confused too.. Hope someone clarifies this. Thanks..

I don't remember saying X3 is more powerful (voltage and current wise) than E17 myself. But I did say that at the same volume, X3 sounds cleaner and more dynamic.

Quote:
What do you guys think about X3->optical out->Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII? Would it sound better than stock x3?

That won't work since X3 doesn't have optical out. I think you mean coax-out. In any case, using coax-out to UHA-6 MK2 means you are limited to 24bit/96kbps max.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #1,377 of 17,484
Quote:

I don't remember saying X3 is more powerful (voltage and current wise) than E17 myself. But I did say that at the same volume, X3 sounds cleaner and more dynamic.

That won't work since X3 doesn't have optical out. I think you mean coax-out. In any case, using coax-out to UHA-6 MK2 means you are limited to 24bit/96kbps max.

I don't mind limited capability, just mind about sound. Thanks anyways.

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,378 of 17,484
If X3 is supposed to be E17 that can play music, why its Bass Boost centered at 100Hz?
Isn't E17's Bass Boost much lower? I think  even E12 centered around 70Hz.
Such high Bass Boost will definitely muddy up the mids.

Also, is there a plan for X3 version that can be used as a DAC/Amp?

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #1,379 of 17,484
Hi ClieOS,
May I know where can I update my firmware to 1.0, currently using 0.98beta. Thanks alot for your help. Quite noob in fw updating actually. Previously all using apple products.

A picture to show the nice and solid dac! Lol

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,380 of 17,484
Quote:
If X3 is supposed to be E17 that can play music, why its Bass Boost centered at 100Hz?
Isn't E17's Bass Boost much lower? I think  even E12 centered around 70Hz.
Such high Bass Boost will definitely muddy up the mids.

Also, is there a plan for X3 version that can be used as a DAC/Amp?

Who told you the bass boost is centered around 100Hz? (s)he is dead wrong. It is identical to E17.

SpectrumX3Max.png

Also, there won't be a version of X3 that can be used as external DAC/amp. Same to X5.

Quote:
Hi ClieOS,
May I know where can I update my firmware to 1.0, currently using 0.98beta. Thanks alot for your help. Quite noob in fw updating actually. Previously all using apple products.

Here:

Quote:
FW 1.0 has been released. It has been quite stable so far.

To update, you'll need a TF card (format to FAT32, if it doesn't work, format to FAT16).
Put the firmware ("X3.fw") on the root of the TF card, plug it into the X3 (off),
Press the 'Menu/return' button and 'Power/play' button at the same time to turn on X3, and it will show 'updating' and a progress bar.
If you don't see the progress bar, turn X3 off by pressing the Power button for 10 seconds, then repeat by pressing menu and power at the same time.
Some time it takes a second try for the progress bar to show up.
Wait for the progress bar finish and the X3 turns off, then restart and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back