The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 6, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,471 of 17,483
Quote:
I'm asking about an existence of a DAP based on a dirt cheap (less than 10$) DAC and you recommend ~800-1000$ ones based on a different DAC?

Your idea of a DAP that is less than $800 with a Sabre based DAC chip is just... well delusional. You want a Sabre based DAP, then execpt to pay-up, simple. People can dream I guess... 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #1,472 of 17,483
Quote:

Your idea of a DAP that is less than $800 with a Sabre based DAC chip is just... well delusional. You want a Sabre based DAP, then execpt to pay-up, simple. People can dream I guess... 
rolleyes.gif

This will be the last Sabre-related post, I swear
biggrin.gif

The Sabre chip in question (ES9023) is very cheap, there are 30-40$ USB DACs based on it sold by Hifimediy.
The chip itself costs less than 10$. There is no reason why DAP based on this chip should cost 800-1000$.

DX100 and HM901 use ES9018 - a much more expensive DAC, that also requires a lot more work around it.

If anyone wants to discuss lack of ES9023-based DAPs, please either PM me or start a new thread.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #1,473 of 17,483
Quote:
biggrin.gif

The Sabre chip in question (ES9023) is very cheap, there are 30-40$ USB DACs based on it sold by Hifimediy.
The chip itself costs less than 10$. There is no reason why DAP based on this chip should cost 800-1000$.

DX100 and HM901 use ES9018 - a much more expensive DAC, that also requires a lot more work around it.

If anyone wants to discuss lack of ES9023-based DAPs, please either PM me or start a new thread.

ROFL... You're flogging a dead horse, mate.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #1,474 of 17,483
Quote:
Sorry, ClieOS, if you mentioned it before...but, considering also what canikickit1 just said: do you know how the X3 SQ could compare to a Rockboxed ipod? ( I have a 5.5 gen video myself).
Thanks!

I don't own a RB'ed iPod. I own stock Nano 4G and 7G, neither is as good sounding as X3 subjectively and objectively. That aside, I also don't think the older iPod has any hardware advantage over X3.

Quote:
Based on the actual experience from many headfiers that iBasso DX100 (or HDP-R10) & Hifiman HM-901 have already proven they are among the best sounding DAPs. And so happened they are using dual ES9023 DAC chips. This gives impression that ES9023 is a better DAC chip.

Not trying to revive the ESS discussion here, but I want to point out that DX100 only uses one DAC and it is about the same level as HM901. Yes, I heard both before and I think you are assuming too much on the dual DAC theory.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #1,475 of 17,483
Quote:
biggrin.gif

The op-amp in my VentureCraft Socket 1 costs about $15, does that mean the DAC should cost $80? Your idea that parts cost is all that determines the MSRP of a product is ignorant. Plus, this isn't just the common practice in the audio market. The materials used to make shoes costs a few dollars, but they sell for hundreds. Welcome to the free market, welcome to the world.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #1,476 of 17,483
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Quote:

The op-amp in my VentureCraft Socket 1 costs about $15, does that mean the DAC should cost $80? Your idea that parts cost is all that determines the MSRP of a product is ignorant. Plus, this isn't just the common practice in the audio market. The materials used to make shoes costs a few dollars, but they sell for hundreds. Welcome to the free market, welcome to the world.

I don't know what color and font to use to make people read without skipping every second word...

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,478 of 17,483
Hey guys, it might not be a bad idea to fork this off into a PM-based discussion (or branch out into a new thread if you feel it to be community-worthy). 
smile.gif

Also, as a reminder:

Quote:
As stated in Head-Fi.org's Posting Guidelines /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Avoid getting personal. Do not make personal attacks, even veiled ones, such as "All people who believe X are deluded.", "All people who can't hear the difference between Y are deluded.", "This will be fine for people without hearing problems." etc. If you disagree with someone's opinion, discuss the opinion, not the person. Likewise, avoid weasel or derogatory words such as shill, fanboy, koolaid, audiophool, snakeoil, placebo etc.

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #1,479 of 17,483
Quote:
Hey guys, it might not be a bad idea to fork this off into a PM-based discussion (or branch out into a new thread if you feel it to be community-worthy). 
smile.gif

Also, as a reminder:

Ah snap! Moderator Warren stepping in!

5OSx0.gif

sorry :)

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #1,480 of 17,483
Quote:
Tell me, after you get the X3 you will go on the DX50 thread and ask the same question? Never is enough isn't it?

I ask because in the pre-order for $ 235 on Ebay. And the seller said that he expects the player from the manufacturer on the 6th of June ... Will be delivered by EMS. That is why I specify. We (4pplz) at the Russian forum player.ru also did pre-order on Ebay.
I just do not want a refund. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #1,481 of 17,483
Update: the 1.0 firmware certainly did the machine good. Battery life slightly longer and most importantly, the bug whereby you can't hear the first 2 second of the song is fixed. After few days o usage I feel that the whole os is more stable, did not have any error ever since upgraded firmware.

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #1,483 of 17,483
Quote:
Clieos when and where you will review the HM901?I really enjoy reading your reviews. Thanks

No fixed schedule yet, but hopefully within the next few weeks. Like most of my future review, it will be posted on my blog only in an effort to scale down.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #1,484 of 17,483
The HM901 was not my cup of tea when I demoed it. Sure it sounded good. Not good enough for me to pay its price tag though.

I find its ergonomics clunky and cumbersome. The UI is laggy and not as responsive as the other direct competitors at a similar price point. Just my 2 cents though.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #1,485 of 17,483
Quote:
The HM901 was not my cup of tea when I demoed it.  I find its ergonomics clunky and cumbersome.

If the stiffness of the volume and control wheels was some kind of practical joke, I was not amused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back