The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 27, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #14,236 of 17,484
Aye aye sir, brick it is.

Especially since this appears to have hit the market (not on Amazon - "yet", I´m hoping)

http://www.fiio.net/en/story/222

Sexy, sexy brick magic!

For some reason the FiiO website wants me to select english or chinese every time i go there, and after that directs me to the front page.
So i have no idea what should be behind your link...

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #14,238 of 17,484
I just updated my X3 to firmware V3.3. It says the update was successful, however when I checked the "about the X3" screen
it says I'm still running 3.21 Beta. Is this screen just not getting updated or is the update not working even though it indicates it is?

Thanks for any help.

UPDATE: The new equilize feature isn't showing on the "play settings" so I assume I'm still running v3.21beta. I unzipped 3.3 on a 2gb card
to run the update. Any Idea what I might be doing wrong?

UPDATE: I've resolved the problem. I deleted all the old firmware versions and moved the files from the 3.3 update folder to the root.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #14,239 of 17,484
Dec 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #14,241 of 17,484
Is anyone willing to provide me a copy of the Chesky songs that were included on the X3's internal drive? I stupidly deleted them before copying them over to my computer.

i asked the same before 
redface.gif
 ............. same here .. i deleted my friend deleted them by stupid move !!

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #14,244 of 17,484
I hooked up again my Fiio X 3 on my Mark Levinsons and B&W 800 D.  What is weird, using this tool as a Dac, it has some qualities, my BD player , Oppo 93, not has. What is very obvious, is that "live feeling", being there in the studio, what I noto find anywhere. The phase is perfect. Like on all Leonard Cohen's recordings, He is just in front of you and his backing vocalists, are distinctly far behind home and isolated, living a life of their own. For me mids and highs are perfecting. For me detail is not hearing much highs, no it is hearing everything, but with depth, a 3 dimension feeling over the instruments.  

What is weird, and I not know if I am the only having this, it is "emotional". Some  records want to make me cry of beauty, as the essence of the music if finally revealed. Bass is sometimes a bit too "thick", but because highs and mids are so transparent, I can take that for granted. I am not that a fan of "lonesome tonight" of Elvis Presley, but the emotion , presence of his voice is outstanding. And I hear very clear that at the end, that voice that was standing right in front all the time is mixed more to the back in the end.  Also although sound is warm and transparent at the same times, highs will be present when you need them. 

I prefer to have that little bump in the bass, keep then also the transparency and the detail, then go back to colder, and less transparent devices. But this is my little problem. I find it very uncomfortable to get my Fiio x3 attached to my computer, as the battery gets load all the time, that MUST decrease the battery life. I know that Fioo make usb  dacs but that are also headphones amps, but that I not need. I would like to find an outstanding (which not always mean expensive, looks how much pleasure the X 3 gives me) USB dac, as similar sound as the X 3, same musical feeling, but being just an USB dac. I never heard the X 5, which is of course also a portable player, and not sure if I would like it over an X5 as I heard it is a bit colder, so not know if I should search a sound in that direction. The Fioo E 17 got a very average review on "What hifi", and it looks very weird that that would compete with the much more expensive Dacs. But then the X3, even not perfect, gives me such a musicality and pleasure......

Somebody has a suggestion?

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #14,246 of 17,484
that album as a flac is 2.85gb. do you know of a free file sharing site?

I use Dropbox. Putting a folder with the tracks in it should work fine. Providing limited access so just us dummies who deleted it can access it would be preferred to prevent piracy.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #14,247 of 17,484
Found link and DL the 3.3 FW for X3___
But  I have X3-FW.rar and 3.3 for windows,
and I use a Imac,

What do I do now?  Previous updates went fine,
what is a   .rar  and how to use with Mac?

Thanks for any help in advance !!

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #14,248 of 17,484
  Found link and DL the 3.3 FW for X3___
But  I have X3-FW.rar and 3.3 for windows,
and I use a Imac,

What do I do now?  Previous updates went fine,
what is a   .rar  and how to use with Mac?

Thanks for any help in advance !!

Should have stayed with a PC.  

Try Google search and if that fails try this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rar-extractor-free/id646295438?mt=12

Dec 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #14,250 of 17,484

Users who are viewing this thread

Back