The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #14,221 of 17,484
I do a similar thing with my X5. It's the centre of my listening experience either as a transport, DAC to line out, or stand alone DAP. I love the flexibility of having multiple output options.

I would go x5 in a heartbeat but I'm unsure if the x5 alone (without a portable amp) would drive my alpha prime headphones well enough.

I may have to compromise and get an x3 with cayin c5 instead. Or wait for cayin n6 if it's close to being available in uk/eu.

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #14,222 of 17,484
Good suggestion, the only problem though is that I'm not able to update the FW either. When doing the back+power button routine, the unit displays 'wait for sd card' and after a minute says 'format not supported or file not found', and that's that.

Is there any other way to update the firmware? Thanks

Firmware update only works with fat32 formatted cards. To make sure this is the case format the card with the X3. You said before that the X3 could not format one of your cards.
Possible explanation could be the card is faulty, the pc formatting utility you used messed up your card - happened to me once - or the X3 is faulty). Perhaps you can borrow a micro sd card from someone or buy a small card (cards up to 32 gb come preformatted in fat32) and try it with a new card? To make sure your card reader is notthe problem, put the new card into the fiio and connect the fiio to your pcs usb port, then put the firmware file onto the x3 using windows explorer.
Make sure the firmware file is unzipped and put it into the topmost level of the file system (if the card lists as drive H: on your pc, put it into H:\)

Dec 26, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #14,223 of 17,484
Anyone any idea where to look for the cause that the DAC works for 90 seconds, 2 minutes at most and a lot less if I play high bitrate files? It just hangs and does nothing.

X3, 3.30 firmware, 2.23 usb drivers.  Windows 7 64 bit.

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #14,225 of 17,484
  Anyone any idea where to look for the cause that the DAC works for 90 minutes, 2 minutes at most and a lot less if I play high bitrate files? It just hangs and does nothing.

It could be windows turning off the USB port after idle for too long?

You could just try this. Connect your X3 and go to device manager and select view>devices by connection. Then go to ACPI x64 based PC>Microsoft ACPI Compliant system>PCI bus and find the USB root hub that the X3 is connected to. Once you have done that, right click and go properties>power management. unclick 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. 

It might not solve your issue, but it's worth a shot.

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #14,226 of 17,484
Thinking of adding a fiio e12a - the IEM special - to my x3. Getting new Shure 535 phones, and from what I´m hearing the e12 would add layering and detail. What do yo u guys think? Will it?

It´s kind of a principle thing as well. I wanna bow out of the head-fi game with the 535s (at least until I get the cash for A&K 240 and UE´s or some crazy stuff like that), and I want to finish with a portable stack. Just love those nerdy things. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #14,227 of 17,484
  It could be windows turning off the USB port after idle for too long?

You could just try this. Connect your X3 and go to device manager and select view>devices by connection. Then go to ACPI x64 based PC>Microsoft ACPI Compliant system>PCI bus and find the USB root hub that the X3 is connected to. Once you have done that, right click and go properties>power management. unclick 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'. 

It might not solve your issue, but it's worth a shot.

Can't even find it in there. 'sides, this doesn't rhyme with an inactivity timeout

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #14,228 of 17,484
Thinking of adding a fiio e12a - the IEM special - to my x3. Getting new Shure 535 phones, and from what I´m hearing the e12 would add layering and detail. What do yo u guys think? Will it?

It´s kind of a principle thing as well. I wanna bow out of the head-fi game with the 535s (at least until I get the cash for A&K 240 and UE´s or some crazy stuff like that), and I want to finish with a portable stack. Just love those nerdy things. 

While I've not heard the 12A (I own the original E12 among other amps) I find the line out on the X3 to be very capable (more so than the headphone out in my opinion) so adding a good amp will be a great solution to improve the sound quality.

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #14,230 of 17,484
Anyone any idea where to look for the cause that the DAC works for 90 minutes, 2 minutes at most and a lot less if I play high bitrate files? It just hangs and does nothing.

What mSD card are you using? Did you format the card with the X3? Do you have any files besides folders with music on the card?

Another thing to look at is the tags in the music file or the album art size. Unrecognized tags and large artwork (over 1000x1000 pixels) will crash the device.

Edit: Just read your post again and realized your using it as a DAC not as a stand alone DAP. Apologies.

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #14,232 of 17,484

I looked for it, it just isn't there. That has nothing to do with be bothered.

What I mean is, disable power management for all your USB ports. So that whichever port you plug the X3 into, you can be sure it's not the idle thingy that's causing the problem. Hope that helps.

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #14,233 of 17,484
Well, this extends the functionality to a little over 3 minutes.  Impressive!
confused_face_2.gif

It's almost like it's a buffer issue somewhere..

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #14,234 of 17,484

I listened to both my X3 and X5 alone with my 535s and enjoyed both a great deal. Now I listen to the X3 alone with them in the gym and I listen to my X5 through an e12DIY and it sounds finer to me. I have no experience with an e12a but i doubt it will sound worse. When I bought the e12DIY I was hoping it would not impress me enough to carry a brick around. Brick is the rule. The e12DIY just adds life to the sound. I haven't tried to AB the X5 with or without the e12DIY much, it just sounds so nice I leave it attached.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #14,235 of 17,484
  Brick is the rule. 

Aye aye sir, brick it is.

Especially since this appears to have hit the market (not on Amazon - "yet", I´m hoping)

http://www.fiio.net/en/story/222

Sexy, sexy brick magic!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back