The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 19, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #10,306 of 17,481
This weekend I played around with the DAC setting on my X3, mainly just to figure out how to do it. (I'm on a Mac.) Thanks to a Panda video, it was easy to do.

It  allowed me to set the Fiio X3 to 96/24, while leaving the Mac's headphone setting at 44.1/16. Since I have a fair amount of 96/24 ALAC files (ripped from DVDA discs), is there any disadvantage to also setting the Mac's headphone setting to 96/24 as my regular setting?

Or is there any reason for setting the DAC for the X3 at 192/24, if I don't have any 192/24 files?

May 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #10,307 of 17,481
I have also recently tried out the X3 as a desktop DAC and it does the job just as effectively as my FiiO E10. I like the fact that the X3 has a bigger range of EQ. I prefer to listen to my computer audio through the E10 though because of the dial.

May 19, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #10,308 of 17,481
im unable to do that using windows 7
How to delete the database file in the X3 disk?
1. Please connect the X3 with your computer via the USB cable first, and find the X3 disk in the
computer after the X3 has been regconized.
2. Double click the X3 disk to enter the X3's internal memory. On the pop up dialog box, please go
to Tools—>Folders Options—>View—>Advanced Settings, and in order to display all the files in
the X3 disk, it is recommended to UNCHECK "Hide protected operating system files" option and
CHECK "Show hidden files, folders, or drives" under the folder of "Hide files and folders". You can
refer to the two red boxes on the attached picture.
3. After the second step done, please just delete the pop up database file named
"usrlocal_media.db ".
4. Disconnect the X3 with the computer, and update the library manually so as to create a new
database file (usrlocal_media.db) in the X3.
Note: Following Step 3, it's suggested to restore the settings mentioned in Step 2 to factory
default, in order to avoid deleting other important operating system files by mistake.

what should i do
ive deleted all the music but the library is full
updating the library takes 40 min and doesnt change anything

May 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #10,318 of 17,481
How does the X3 handle gapless playback?

Wanna pull the trigger but just want to confirm.  Torn between the X3, X5 and DX50 or 90.  I have products from both iBasso and Fiio so know what they are about in terms of customer service and sound.  Just looking for a few deciding factors.

Thanks!

May 21, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #10,319 of 17,481
  How does the X3 handle gapless playback?

Wanna pull the trigger but just want to confirm.  Torn between the X3, X5 and DX50 or 90.  I have products from both iBasso and Fiio so know what they are about in terms of customer service and sound.  Just looking for a few deciding factors.

Thanks!

Well, prior to the beta firmware version 2.14b, I'd say...badly. Depending on what you're playing, it seems spotty, and in the case of 24 bit, 192 kHz FLAC, frequently crashed my unit.

With the 2.14b firmware, it's much better. It's not "true" gapless, I don't think. For anything I've tried that's under 24/96, it sounds flawless, but as soon as you get to 24/96 or 24/192 FLAC, you can notice a bit of a click when it's transitioning to the new track.

That's just my personal experience, so your mileage may vary.

May 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #10,320 of 17,481

Well, prior to the beta firmware version 2.14b, I'd say...badly. Depending on what you're playing, it seems spotty, and in the case of 24 bit, 192 kHz FLAC, frequently crashed my unit.

With the 2.14b firmware, it's much better. It's not "true" gapless, I don't think. For anything I've tried that's under 24/96, it sounds flawless, but as soon as you get to 24/96 or 24/192 FLAC, you can notice a bit of a click when it's transitioning to the new track.

That's just my personal experience, so your mileage may vary.

Thanks umdesch4,

Most of my gapless albums are 16/44.1 (house, trance, live etc.).  So basically with 16/44.1 it plays flawlessly on the transition with no clicks?

I also have been trying to keep up with the firmwares.  I'm guessing if I purchase from Amazon it would come with the 2.1?

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back