The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 25, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #9,406 of 17,484
DB Update seems to work much better and faster. Mp3 decoding with critical files (like some of those posted earlier in this thread) seems to be improved as well. The max volume is an issue though, for that reason I've created a modified version of the 2.14beta FW that goes to 11! 
biggrin.gif

DISCLAIMER: This is a modified version of the official Fiio 2.14beta FW. Since you can set your X3 to  higher volume levels with this modifed FW (but still pretty much on par with pre 2.14beta FW revisions) please make sure that you don't set the default volume too high in the X3 settings and approach your desired volume levels carefully from that setting as there's a real danger of damaging your IEMs/headphones and/or your hearing if you are not careful! The max volume setting has been changed from 60 to 120, effectively doubling the number of volume steps.
This modified FW is being linked to for educational purposes only and I advise to use it at one's own disgression.

With that out of the way, this modified firmware gives the user 120 instead of the previous 60 volume steps and a higher max. output than the original 2.14beta FW. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d04t4h7es74kshd/x3_FW2.14beta_volumemod120.zip

Edit: The version for download now will revert to the default volume that can be set in the Play settings screen.
Upon first boot it's been set to 40 (equivalent to 20 on pre 2.14beta FW), please change as desired before listening to music.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #9,407 of 17,484
but which of the two do you think will be better to pair with the hd 558?
Probably better to ask that in a Sennheiser thread than here with a spanking new beta firmware on Fire! :D

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #9,408 of 17,484
DB Update seems to work much better and faster. Mp3 decoding with critical files (like some of those posted earlier in this thread) seems to be improved as well. The max volume is an issue though, for that reason I've created a modified version of the 2.14beta FW that goes to 11! :D

DISCLAIMER: Since you can set your X3 to very high volume levels with this modifed FW please make sure that you don't set the default volume too high in the X3 settings and approach your desired volume levels carefully from that setting as there's a real danger of damaging your IEMs/headphones and/or your hearing if you are not careful! The max volume setting has been changed from 60 to 140!
This modified FW is being linked to for educational purposes only and I advise to use it at one's own disgression.

With that out of the way, this modified firmware gives the user 140 instead of the previous 60 volume steps and a significantly higher max. output than the original 2.14beta FW and previous FW revisions. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/enmv6l0bon7qlbb/x3_FW2.14beta_volumemod.zip

Wha... how...? :blink:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 25, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #9,412 of 17,484
  razorblader, this is official? How did you get the source code? Intended improvement is appreciated. 

Cheers.

No, not official, just my mod, please use with caution.

I assume he edited default.ini in system_attribute folder of the firmware. Firmware extraction tools that were provided by FiiO are still working with 2.14 firmware :wink:

Yup, exactly. 
wink.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #9,414 of 17,484
@razorblader: Can you only increase the volume? It'd be nice to have more steps but retain a reasonable volume limit - similar to the iBasso players.

Can one simply edit the .ini file(s) in a text editor?

The modded FW gives you more useable volume steps as well as a higher max volume compared to the original 2.14beta FW.
It's not just the 'old' 60 steps (FW 2.1 and before) plus some additional volume if that makes any sense.
Older max. volume at 60 is basically 120 now.

The .ini files can be modified with any text editor.

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #9,415 of 17,484
First impression of the BETA posted earlier today:

Low volume even on high gain setting.
Gapless works great.
In general, fast, very fast!
Media library update without any issues and also faster.
Artist --> Albums works great.
Mp3 decoding is flawless.
Sound seems more detailed?

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #9,416 of 17,484
The modded FW gives you more useable volume steps as well as a higher max volume compared to older FW revisions.
It's not just the 'old' 60 steps (FW 2.1 and before) plus some additional volume if that makes any sense.
Older max. volume at 60 is more like ~95 to 100 now.

The .ini files can be modified with any text editor.

Might give this a shot. Maybe cap the volume at 100 instead of 140. Is it pretty obvious which parameter to change?

Apr 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #9,418 of 17,484
Might give this a shot. Maybe cap the volume at 100 instead of 140. Is it pretty obvious which parameter to change?

I've corrected my modded version to 120 steps as more steps won't work (max. volume).
It's the best setting giving you max. volume if needed and the most volume steps possible.

It's the max volume setting in the default.ini file:

<max_vol>120</max_vol>//

Users who are viewing this thread

Back