The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 26, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #7,306 of 17,484
Transcoding to mp3 vbr -2 :p 110GB magically becomes ~60...

Anyway I've been reformatting the SD and loafing around on other stuff so I haven't tried out updating the library yet, but good to know my wait is normal.  Thanks!

I would gladly take less tracks with me instead of having to go down this path, you could always get a SD to microSD adapter, and a 128GB SD card...

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #7,307 of 17,484
I wasn't convinced I could hear a difference in my previous portable setups (nicest headphones were Shure SE215 plugged in to my SGS3.. :p)

Perhaps I would see a difference between -2 and -0 with the X3, but I think I'll just wait for the 128GB microSD for now.

I mean, I could start to filter out musics but I feel like there will always be some weird situation where I suddenly want access to something I havent listened to recently, so a limited library always seems unfortunate :frowning2:

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #7,309 of 17,484
  Ok. Just for fun I pulled the SD card out of my wife's Clip and put in in the X3, then updated the library. The songs are listed under the album and artist in the clip without issue. In the X3, same thing. I can see the album and artist, but when I click them no songs listed. The songs are in the "Browse files". Also, like I mentioned earlier all the artists and albums from the card I used to have in the X3 are showing up in album and artist.

I ran the card through Mp3tag and here are screenshots. Anyone seeing any problems?

Click on them to make 'um bigger

I can't see the full paths on the screenshot but I seem to recall that there is a limit on the total length of the path for any one file (all the nested directories, plus the filename). Maybe you're exceeding that?

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #7,311 of 17,484
  Ok. Just for fun I pulled the SD card out of my wife's Clip and put in in the X3, then updated the library. The songs are listed under the album and artist in the clip without issue. In the X3, same thing. I can see the album and artist, but when I click them no songs listed. The songs are in the "Browse files". Also, like I mentioned earlier all the artists and albums from the card I used to have in the X3 are showing up in album and artist.

I ran the card through Mp3tag and here are screenshots. Anyone seeing any problems?

Click on them to make 'um bigger

I'm not too familiar with mp3tag (just downloaded it myself), but what i'd try is to delete all the tags for 1 album and let mp3tag auto update them, and see if they show up in your x3. If they do, then you should be able to batch process the rest.
Your screens are a little hard to read. Is there any way for mp3tag to show the tag properties of a file (looking for the type of tags eg.id3v1)?

Quote:
  I didn't understand a word you just said.....

I think what they're referring to is the total length of the folder+file name. If it is really long then the X3 could have trouble finding them, although I think Fiio has fixed this in an earlier firmware update.

If you have a way to upload a file or two (dropbox, etc), I can have a look at em for you, and see if I can find anything.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #7,312 of 17,484

I think what they're referring to is the total length of the folder+file name. If it is really long then the X3 could have trouble finding them, although I think Fiio has fixed this in an earlier firmware update.

If you have a way to upload a file or two (dropbox, etc), I can have a look at em for you, and see if I can find anything.

That's exactly what I meant 
smily_headphones1.gif

IIRC, Fiio fixed problems where you had multiple levels of folders but I think the maximum path length was still 256 - but my memory is far from perfect....

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #7,313 of 17,484
I am looking forward to an experiment when I get my new Audeze LCD-XCs next month. They are half the impedance and four times the efficiency of what I amusing now. The X3 might not 'need' the E12, like I am using now, when driving these 'phones. Going back to a single device would be nice.

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #7,314 of 17,484
Ooh, definitely let us know your impressions! It'll be interesting to see how they do. From your sig, I'm guessing your current 'phones are a pair of Thunderpants? Do you find they 'need' the E12?

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #7,315 of 17,484
Welp it appears that however the X3 does its library building can't support large numbers of files added at the same time... it simply hangs for a long time, says it finished updating, and then adds nothing at all.  I've been slowly adding music in increments of 500 or so and it seems to be doing alright now...

Dec 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #7,316 of 17,484
  Ooh, definitely let us know your impressions! It'll be interesting to see how they do. From your sig, I'm guessing your current 'phones are a pair of Thunderpants? Do you find they 'need' the E12?

That reminded me to update the home theater part of my .sig.

Needed as in having enough power and headroom to drive, no, most of the time (I would run out of volume control on a very few tracks recorded at a low level) with the 'pants.
However in A/Bing with and without, adding the E12 was a marked improvement, less sense of strain. This is not surprising as the Thunderpants (and I would guess the Dogs as well) are even less efficient than the LCD-3. However, Audeze is still calling for 1-4W for the X/XC. The E12 will put out about 1W into 22ohms so it will be interesting.I only spend a few % of my listening time in portable use so it isn't worth massively optimizing, but I do want it working nicely.

For desktop use, I am looking forward to my Geek Pulse (3W!) later in 2014 as a hopeful upgrade.

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #7,317 of 17,484

That reminded me to update the home theater part of my .sig.

Needed as in having enough power and headroom to drive, no, most of the time (I would run out of volume control on a very few tracks recorded at a low level) with the 'pants.
However in A/Bing with and without, adding the E12 was a marked improvement, less sense of strain. This is not surprising as the Thunderpants (and I would guess the Dogs as well) are even less efficient than the LCD-3. However, Audeze is still calling for 1-4W for the X/XC. The E12 will put out about 1W into 22ohms so it will be interesting.I only spend a few % of my listening time in portable use so it isn't worth massively optimizing, but I do want it working nicely.

For desktop use, I am looking forward to my Geek Pulse (3W!) later in 2014 as a hopeful upgrade.

Thanks! I've been looking into getting a pair of Mad Dogs, so I wanted to see how that pairing would go. I'm in the process of making a Millett Starving Student amp, so I'll hopefully have a decent home and/or office setup!

As for the XC's, I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't benefit significantly from an amp, even with their better efficiency... but we'll see! And, yeah, wow, 3 watts should do nicely!

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #7,318 of 17,484
I really wish we could list the songs according to their Track names. So far, we can list them according to file name, Artists or album.

Just being able to list all the songs according to their track names in alphabetic order would be great

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #7,319 of 17,484

Get back to us about the difference.  The numbers stated on FiiO's website has the E11 as much weaker than the HO of the X3 and yet it seems to get much louder than the X3.  I would say, based on what I hear, that the E11 does add some more impact to the bass over what the X3 does (I often run the X3 at +3 on the bass; would seem like the E11 has the same 'hump' with it set to 0 on the EQ switch).

In regards to the velcro idea; I enjoy finding ways to repurpose items.  I say it's because I'm frugal...the wife says it's because I'm a cheap person.

Ok.  Finally got round to trying the X3 with my E07K.  Connecting the X3 line out to E07K line in, the result was a lot warmer and less detailed and airy, than the X3 alone, with mids more recessed.  I didn't test for volume differences, as I never listen at uncomfortable volumes anyway.  The same lack of authority in the lower frequencies was evident, driving both my modified Grado SR80i and stock SR325i.  I suppose, what I am looking for is a little more current driving the phones.  So the X3+E07K combination doesn't suit my taste.  It's a shame in a way, as it renders my E07K obsolete, now that my X3 can handle DAC duties on my laptop.   Perhaps an E12 then, or I may also wait until I can hear an X5.  Still, fun to experiment :)

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #7,320 of 17,484
How did you get yours to work?  I'm having the same problem with mine.  I'm using a 64gb sandisk that I think is formatted to FAT32, but I'm not sure.  Still can't get it to recognize the disc.  Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back