The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 27, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #571 of 17,484
Well, might not be as flat in impedance phase like a dynamic but something like a ER4P will have a linear enough phase that won't change the FR much even with 10ohm of output impedance. Another case, though not a single BA but a dual and not exactly very low in impedance, is the TDK BA200. It doesn't get affected by output impedance by much because of the impedance compensating circuit it has. But that's probably anither discussion on its own.

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #572 of 17,484
A bit more impression:

Tested 24/96 FLAC and not problem on playback. Didn't test 24/192 files because I don't have any, though I don't see why it won't work.

S/PDIF output works as well, but it will automatically disable the headphone-out. No problem with 24/96 FLAC over S/PDIF as well, as long as the receiving end (the DAC) support it. I fed X3 to both HM801's and HM901's DAC + amp - okay, both of them sounds nicer than the X3's build-in DAC + amp, but not in such a way that you will say 'this sound is definitely worth a lot more than X3'. I know we talked about X3 not designed to be an 'audiophile's DAP', but now I think it is as close to one without spending big bucks.

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #573 of 17,484
Quote:
A bit more impression:

Tested 24/96 FLAC and not problem on playback. Didn't test 24/192 files because I don't have any, though I don't see why it won't work.

S/PDIF output works as well, but it will automatically disable the headphone-out. No problem with 24/96 FLAC over S/PDIF as well, as long as the receiving end (the DAC) support it. I fed X3 to both HM801's and HM901's DAC + amp - okay, both of them sounds nicer than the X3's build-in DAC + amp, but not in such a way that you will say 'this sound is definitely worth a lot more than X3'. I know we talked about X3 not designed to be an 'audiophile's DAP', but now I think it is as close to one without spending big bucks.

Thank you, I was expectiong Fiio to do a good job with the X3, but not that much....
eek.gif

I am drooling for pictures.....PLEASE.

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #574 of 17,484
Apr 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #575 of 17,484
That looks pretty nice, more UI pictures please!

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #577 of 17,484
Quote:
A bit more impression:

This might be a silly question, but how much better is the X3's SQ than your Clip+ SQ?
(I have a rockboxed Clip Zip - not sure how the SQ differs from the Clip+, but presumably close).

Edit: I see that you did answer that to some degree here:

Quote:
Still a bit too early to say for sure, but on rough comparison, it is better than Nano 7G, Clip+ and Fuze. I'll put it at around the same level as HiSound Nova 3. One thing that is noticeably better on X3 is the power amp section, which is very tight and well controlled.

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #578 of 17,484
Quote:

This might be a silly question, but how much better is the X3's SQ than your Clip+ SQ?
(I have a rockboxed Clip Zip - not sure how the SQ differs from the Clip+, but presumably close).

To put them into a simpler, easier to understand form - If I were to classify DAP into 5 ranks (the bad, the okay, the good, the distinguished, and the great), I'll put Teclast X30 into the okay, Clip+ / Fuze and Nano 7G into the good, HM602 and Teclast T51 into the distinguished, while HM801 and HM901 into the great. At this point, I'll put X3 into 'the distinguished' as well. It isn't among the best, but it is noticeably better than what I consider to be good, solid sounding DAP.

Clip Zip uses the same chip set as Clip+, so I do believe they are comparable.

Apr 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #581 of 17,484
Quote:

To put them into a simpler, easier to understand form - If I were to classify DAP into 5 ranks (the bad, the okay, the good, the distinguished, and the great), I'll put Teclast X30 into the okay, Clip+ / Fuze and Nano 7G into the good, HM602 and Teclast T51 into the distinguished, while HM801 and HM901 into the great. At this point, I'll put X3 into 'the distinguished' as well. It isn't among the best, but it is noticeably better than what I consider to be good, solid sounding DAP.

Clip Zip uses the same chip set as Clip+, so I do believe they are comparable.

Thanx a lot for your comments, ClieOs.

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #582 of 17,484
Apr 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #583 of 17,484
I skimmed the 38 pages and it will be interesting as other people pointed out how it will compare to the Cowon J3.  One thing I like about the J3 is the size, X3 is a lot thicker, but the deal or no deal for me will be how it sounds without it having something similar to Jeteffect 3.0  and BBE+

I'm sure many Cowon owners like myself will be watching this with a whole lot of interest.....

Apr 27, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #585 of 17,484
Quote:
I skimmed the 38 pages and it will be interesting as other people pointed out how it will compare to the Cowon J3.  One thing I like about the J3 is the size, X3 is a lot thicker, but the deal or no deal for me will be how it sounds without it having something similar to Jeteffect 3.0  and BBE+

I'm sure many Cowon owners like myself will be watching this with a whole lot of interest.....

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back