The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #3,871 of 17,484
Quote:
Previous statement still stands: how can you know you don't like it, if you haven't even listened to it?
And from the reviews so far it seems it's a more than decent amp.

I will second this. I have listened to a number of high end amps, and the X3 while not the absolute ultimate, definitely holds its own in comparison.

'Phones differ. Personal preferences differ. Reviews are all well and good, but ultimately each listener needs to decide for themselves and not pay so much attention to what others say.

All we are saying is, try it first and maybe save yourself a ton of money. Afterwards if you are not satisfied, then get an amp.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #3,872 of 17,484
Quote:
I have an X3 and I decided I need an external amp. :) 

Cool. You tried it out first 
wink_face.gif

Any idea what you are going to go for?

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #3,873 of 17,484
Question, now that the Fiio x3 is out has anyone compared the x3 vs. the colorfly C3 and c&c bh amp. is there enough variation to get that as well. I'm completely happy with the fiio but always looking for more.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #3,874 of 17,484
Quote:
Cool. You tried it out first 
wink_face.gif

Any idea what you are going to go for?

Actually it's funny because I bought an external amp BEFORE buying the X3 because I anticipated the amp section of the X3 to be poor already based on the product description.  It's just the amp I bought does not work well with X3 so I'm moving onto the UHA-4 or UHA-6. Haven't decided yet. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #3,875 of 17,484
well people can use whatever amp they like, but you sure don't need one just for driving power.
I find you can remove the little harshness/dryness on some women voices or high pitch instruments with the pico slim or plugged into O2. but I am very satisfied using the X3 alone on most of my gear.

discovery of the week:  my really bad sony xba-1 I use for sport is transformed with the X3. call it reborn, digivolved, supersayaned, or whatever, but the super low impedance does wonder on that little buddy. (when anything above 3ohm turns it into a distorted screamer) .
I would like to hear about other xba-XX owners who have the X3 if we can expect them all to become good on super low impedance.

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #3,876 of 17,484
Quote:
Question, now that the Fiio x3 is out has anyone compared the x3 vs. the colorfly C3 and c&c bh amp. is there enough variation to get that as well. I'm completely happy with the fiio but always looking for more.

I"m not sure what you mean by variation but if you want to try use the C&C with X3, I recommend not to if you are using sensitive gear. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #3,877 of 17,484
Quote:
Previous statement still stands: how can you know you don't like it, if you haven't even listened to it?
And from the reviews so far it seems it's a more than decent amp.

It's a decent amp, pretty good clean and clear.  But since I already have the C5 amp, I paired it with the x3 out of curiosity and found that the C5 with bass boost on sounds better (less warm, clearer, fuller bass) vs the internal amp at bass +10.  However, if one doesn't max out the bass, you can hardly tell the difference in quality between the 2 amps.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #3,879 of 17,484
I"m not sure what you mean by variation but if you want to try use the C&C with X3, I recommend not to if you are using sensitive gear. 

If the C3 is similar to the C4 I would say the opposite.
I found the X3 to be more analytical than my C4 (see my comparison in this thread). I suspect this is due to the C4 not having a bipolar power supply and requiring very large electrolytic caps in the signal chain as a result. Electrolytics are notoriously non-linear at higher frequencies. What does the C3 have for power supply? Same question on the DX50.

Aug 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #3,880 of 17,484
+1 I do own it and Im listening to it right now and I can say it is impressive. I own a Cowon D3 and a ipod classic with theE17 and the E07k and this is new go to.

My amp has been retired to laptop duties only now. The sound quality and amp performance of the X3 are easily good enough for me to use it as my sole portable unit.

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #3,883 of 17,484
Quote:
well people can use whatever amp they like, but you sure don't need one just for driving power.
I find you can remove the little harshness/dryness on some women voices or high pitch instruments with the pico slim or plugged into O2. but I am very satisfied using the X3 alone on most of my gear.

discovery of the week:  my really bad sony xba-1 I use for sport is transformed with the X3. call it reborn, digivolved, supersayaned, or whatever, but the super low impedance does wonder on that little buddy. (when anything above 3ohm turns it into a distorted screamer) .
I would like to hear about other xba-XX owners who have the X3 if we can expect them all to become good on super low impedance.

I use the X3 with the XBA-30´s when outside and I can´t complain at all. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #3,884 of 17,484
This talk about amps getting me intrigued lol. other than the Pico slim and uha4 are there any digital volume slim amps that's around the same size as the x3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back