The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 28, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #4,591 of 9,972
smily_headphones1.gif
Well Guys I made a decision based on overall reviews, and Opted for the X3ii over the X5ii. Mostly because of Smaller size, no personal need for 2 storage cards, and Overall: there apparently from most impressions, ISN'T a gigantic difference between the the two in sound Quality.

So NOW for another Long-winded review:

I Like it. ALOT. Wouldn't change a thing except maybe offer it in the Gold color of the X1 as well.

Thanx for your patience.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #4,594 of 9,972
cool.gif
Amazon is good. Amazon is wise....

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jun 28, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #4,595 of 9,972
The only problem I have found with DSD so far is, getting straight DSD which isn't classical or jazz music is troublesome. I know some artists have released these on Hybrid SACD discs although as I don't have a player or a way of extracting them as a ISO file as yet, I have been finding extremely difficult getting music I want to listen to.

I have mostly been going for lossless FLAC encodes in preference to AAC , WMA and MP3.

Jun 28, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #4,597 of 9,972
smily_headphones1.gif
Without a ridiculously technical explanation Can I download DSD directly from a Website like Blue Coast Records to my Fiio X3ii or is there some type of Software/converters needed? It says it supports Native DSD.

Or am I being naive?

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 28, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #4,598 of 9,972
  Hi, I've created a little how-to for the X3 and DSD in Linux, using mpd.
it's very simple. just look at my review. here's the link:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/13086

What OS are you using? Kernel etc.

thanks, I'll give that a look.

I'm using a custom build; voyage linux and the latest 3.19 kernel with some other dsd (not DoP but native stuff) patches, plus alsa patches and mpd patches :wink:  I am wondering if I have to add usb-ids (vid/pid) to the kernel recognized dsd/usb list.  and also set the 32 bit endian-ness stuff (some vendors go one way, some the other and that's why we still need vendor specific patches up and down the stack).

so, let me be sure I understand: you have this player connected to your linux box over usb, you can play a native dsd file from mpd and you can get 88.2 (etc) bitstream in pcm from the fioo's coax out (or analog from the line-out if you select that in the fiio's menu) ?  is that correct?  I can get any 24/192 and lower pcm file to play thru usb/linux/alsa/mpd but not dsd (dsf, etc) yet.  if you can, that's good news to hear!

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #4,599 of 9,972
The X3ii is an incredible value. But between tablets, old phones, laptop, I always have something around that has storage. Of course, there is the inconvenience of otg cable etc. Have any of you preferred an under $200 dac/amp to the x3ii dap?

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #4,600 of 9,972
The X3ii is an incredible value. But between tablets, old phones, laptop, I always have something around that has storage. Of course, there is the inconvenience of otg cable etc. Have any of you preferred an under $200 dac/amp to the x3ii dap?

Just for reference, I enjoy it about as much as I enjoy the Herus+, despite the Herus being a more resolving, detailed unit. I also prefer it to my Magni/Modi stack (at least the Modi side of it).

Jun 28, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #4,601 of 9,972
I've got a couple hours of listening in with my new X3II.  I am very pleased with the SQ compared to my X1.  I've gone back and forth between the two and the X3II just sounds awesome.  I haven't dabbled into USB otg, DAC, or anything else.  I'll do that over the coming days.  I am running it without an amp on low gain and it's pushing my HD558 just fine at 39/120.  At this point, I have the EQ off and don't see myself stacking it with my amp any time soon.  The X3II definitely has more clarity and I'm hearing a little more detail in my music.  Not sure my X1 will get as much use unless I use it through my car audio system.... we'll see.

Jun 28, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #4,602 of 9,972
The X3ii is a splendid, very musical player. It's now my backup unit to the X5 Classic. I don't think I'll ever bring myself to sell her.

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #4,603 of 9,972
From the Posting Guidelines:

Quote:
 Respect the OP's (original poster's) intentions and try and keep comments on topic. If you feel a strong need to (continue to) discuss a particular, but off-topic subject in a thread, start your own thread and direct post a link in the thread rather than derail that thread. If it's not a discussion worthy for a thread, consider taking it to private messages.

DON'T reply If someone makes an off-topic, rude or otherwise inappropriate comment, or a post appears to be trolling or spam. Report it by clicking on the red flag and filling in the box explaining what the problem is and let the moderators take care of it. If something is inappropriate or rude, what is the point of giving it more attention by replying to it and/or quoting it?!? If nobody replies to or comments on a trolling or abusive post 100% of the time the person goes away!

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #4,604 of 9,972
  From the Posting Guidelines:

Quote:
 Respect the OP's (original poster's) intentions and try and keep comments on topic. If you feel a strong need to (continue to) discuss a particular, but off-topic subject in a thread, start your own thread and direct post a link in the thread rather than derail that thread. If it's not a discussion worthy for a thread, consider taking it to private messages.

DON'T reply If someone makes an off-topic, rude or otherwise inappropriate comment, or a post appears to be trolling or spam. Report it by clicking on the red flag and filling in the box explaining what the problem is and let the moderators take care of it. If something is inappropriate or rude, what is the point of giving it more attention by replying to it and/or quoting it?!? If nobody replies to or comments on a trolling or abusive post 100% of the time the person goes away!

i hope you don't mind me asking, but i'm not sure if this was posted in the right thread?

Jun 29, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #4,605 of 9,972

i hope you don't mind me asking, but i'm not sure if this was posted in the right thread?

Yup, I just deleted two pages of off-topic arguments. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back