The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Feb 18, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #5,071 of 7,793
Well of course I am taking about a different mastering process.  Isn't that the point?  I don't know how one does a proper AB with a hi res source and a hi res master as the test would have to be compared with a down rez version of the hi rez file which is almost sure to sound worse.

There is no real apples to apples here on an objective basis.  No disagreement about that.

One simply has to take a leap of faith and listen to the hi res file on a standalone basis and determine if that is worth it to you or not.

If you are on this forum you already have a hi rez DAP so it is fairly easy to give this a try and see for yourself.  Look at the title....192/24 is in the title.  That is there for a reason.

By the way I really do not care if you listen to hi rez files or not.  I don't sell them for a living so I am just encouraging you to give it a shot as one hobbyist to another.  Don't agree?  No sweat off my back and my feelings will not be hurt.

Lately I have been having fun modifying ipods to hold more storage and I am most definitely fooling with redbook resolution there.  Most of my friends are redbookish.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #5,072 of 7,793
You missed the point. I have Gear that is resolving enough. I have access to high res masters. I've taken a high res master, re sampled it myself to redbook, then compared the two (level matched to within 0.1dB and tested via abx). I can't tell the difference. There have been no tests (to my knowledge) where people actually can. There are a lot of claims of people being able to tell e difference - but when asked to substantiate the claims - no-one is willing to submit themselves to an independent test. That to my way of thinking is telling in itself.

If you believe you can tell the difference - fine. It doesn't interest me one way or the other. I don't want to take away your enjoyment of what you experience with hi-res. But if you can prove you can tell the difference - that I am interested in. It would have to be tested independently though. I suspect you won't be interested in going through the trouble of doing though - so let's leave this topic agreeing to disagree.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #5,073 of 7,793
Just got my X1 in the mail yesterday and charged it up overnight. Looking forward to loading it up with music and putting it through it's paces!

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #5,075 of 7,793
Congrats ....enjoy your new player ...cheers

Thanks! Question - is it better to load music via USB with the card installed in the X1, or with the card in the card reader in my laptop? I already formatted it in the player itself, just curious if there's a better way to transfer music between the two...

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #5,076 of 7,793

Thanks! Question - is it better to load music via USB with the card installed in the X1, or with the card in the card reader in my laptop? I already formatted it in the player itself, just curious if there's a better way to transfer music between the two...

The card reader should give you faster speeds. It's usually normal for it to take a while though either way, depending on the speed of your card.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #5,077 of 7,793
  The card reader should give you faster speeds. It's usually normal for it to take a while though either way, depending on the speed of your card.

Thanks for the info! I got a PNY 64GB Class 10 for $23 on Amazon, took about 15 min to transfer 25GB of music via card reader. Not bad!

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #5,078 of 7,793
Brooko,

No point in my going through an ABX test as you yourself noted that my results would not be sufficient to convince you. 

You personally can't hear the difference with hi def files. 

Definitely good news for you.  Now you save a ton of money as you will not be buying music you already have in hi def  all over again.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #5,079 of 7,793
  Brooko,

No point in my going through an ABX test as you yourself noted that my results would not be sufficient to convince you.

No problem 
beerchug.gif

Can I also infer from the above that you haven't performed a properly volume matched abx test - using tools like foobar's abx comparator, and taking a high-res master, and resampling same file to redbook and comparing?

You don't need to answer - I'm just curious if you've ever actually done one?

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #5,081 of 7,793
http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/19/8068465/sony-memory-card-premium-sound-sr-64hxa

sony is offerring " microsdxc for premium sound"

Sent from Encrypted Transmission by KFX

Sounds like snake oil.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #5,082 of 7,793
Feb 19, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #5,084 of 7,793
Brooke. I will submit that some hi res re asters sound no better than the old masters. And some sound better. Yes I just compare the high res releases to the old flac versions. That is my true test.

Definitely crap science on my part. But at the end of the day my test is the pocketbook. Is the new release worth buying to my ears. And sometimes the answer is yes and sometimes it is no. A true abx test does not answer the upgrade value question. It just answers the hi res vs red book question. To me the real question is whether one should purchase the new release or not.

Funny story in the day I purchased a mobile fidelity release of hot dawg by David Grisman. I already had a nice version on cd from a&am. My wife challenged me to a blind a b test. I said ok. She played the two CDs and I had to admit. I could not hear the difference.

Punchline? She faked me out and played the same thing twice. So my defeat was a victory.

Your mileage will surely vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back