The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Dec 16, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #331 of 7,793
  low impedence headphones should be fine.  virtually all daps can handle that 

most inefficient headphones are othodynamic.... and the people who own them wont be trying to run them striaght from a dap

My point is, your previous blanket statement "low impedence headphones should be fine.  virtually all daps can handle that" is misleading. You have to consider sensitivity also. A newbie, without realizing how important sensitivity spec is, may buy an orthodynamic headphones thinking "low impedence headphones should be fine" out of a portable DAP. It should be impedance and orthodynamic by the way. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #332 of 7,793

My point is, your previous blanket statement "low impedence headphones should be fine.  virtually all daps can handle that" is misleading. You have to consider sensitivity also. A newbie, without realizing how important sensitivity spec is, may buy an orthodynamic headphones thinking "low impedence headphones should be fine" out of a portable DAP. It should be impedance and orthodynamic by the way. 

ty for the correction...it's always nice to have grammar perfectionists go over your writing.   

If a newbie buys a 1000+ dollar orthodynamic headphone and tries to run them from a 100 dollar dap.... he deserves it.  

You have to consider sensitivity also. A newbie, without realizing how important sensitivity spec is, may buy an orthodynamic headphone (remove the "s" it's not needed)  thinking "low impedence headphones should be fine" out of a portable DAP. It should be impedance and orthodynamic by the way. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #333 of 7,793
Chaps, would you mind not fighting through this thread? I mean, I think it is better that we stop by our own will otherwise Anak or Currawong will make us stop.

I doubt that we want this thread to get locked or users get banned.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #334 of 7,793

ty for the correction...it's always nice to have grammar perfectionists go over your writing.   

If a newbie buys a 1000+ dollar orthodynamic headphone and tries to run them from a 100 dollar dap.... he deserves it.  

You have to consider sensitivity also. A newbie, without realizing how important sensitivity spec is, may buy an orthodynamic headphone (remove the "s" it's not needed)  thinking "low impedence headphones should be fine" out of a portable DAP. It should be impedance and orthodynamic by the way. 

i think u are wrong
low impedance is harder to drive than higher impedance and not vice -versa.

generally speaking impedance of a player should be one fifth or less of the headphone impedance to drive properly and considering average impedance of 3-4 of ipods and walkmans(not talking of high end stuff) u would beed a headphone with at least 20 ohm or higher to work at its peak.of course when impedance reaches more than 60-70 then again they cannot be drived properly from a dap.in a nutshell i was saying this for EARPHONES and not HEADPHONES.

yes sensitivity is imp too but more or less all have about 100-105 or more level and i am assuming sensitivity in this range in this scenario to isolate the effects of impedance.

folks,thats my understanding.if i am wrong pls point out.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #335 of 7,793
i think u are wrong
low impedance is harder to drive than higher impedance and not vice -versa.

generally speaking impedance of a player should be one fifth or less of the headphone impedance to drive properly and considering average impedance of 3-4 of ipods and walkmans(not talking of high end stuff) u would beed a headphone with at least 20 ohm or higher to work at its peak.of course when impedance reaches more than 60-70 then again they cannot be drived properly from a dap.in a nutshell i was saying this for EARPHONES and not HEADPHONES.

yes sensitivity is imp too but more or less all have about 100-105 or more level and i am assuming sensitivity in this range in this scenario to isolate the effects of impedance.

folks,thats my understanding.if i am wrong pls point out.

Serious? Try driving a 600 ohm headphone from a ipod... See how well it sounds.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #336 of 7,793
Serious? Try driving a 600 ohm headphone from a ipod... See how well it sounds.

did u read what i said??

i said above 60-70 ohms its again difficult for a dap just like below 16-20 is

and i already clarified that this post was for earphones which won't go above 50-60 generally but some low impedance stuff like xba-1,2,3 can pop out once in a while

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #337 of 7,793
Lower impedance is easier to drive... Unless it's highly inefficient.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #338 of 7,793
Lower impedance is easier to drive... Unless it's highly inefficient.

i have read rule of one fifth in other places,pls confirm

thats why earphones below 12 or lower are just not driven with dap's having 3-4 impedance but clip+ with 1 can easily drive them

once again this stuff is complicated and apparently there another factors too.but whatever care must be taken not to take a risk and get something with such low impedance and cry later
beerchug.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #340 of 7,793
Dec 17, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #341 of 7,793
Have a look at ultrasones models. Some of them are like 96 db/mW
Then look at sennheiser momentum. It's 110 db/mW

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #345 of 7,793
Holy crap Fiio is really starting to pull out the big guns. They are going to have a dap for the super affordable, affordable, and decently affordable while having a decently solid amp and dac selection.

As a previous owner of a few fiio products, I gotta say this company is really starting to impress me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back