The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages
Sep 2, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #751 of 1,083
Received my E10K in the post this morning.... bloody hell it's even smaller than I thought!!

Hooked it all up and put on my G4ME Zeros.... wow, the headphones actually vibrate with bass now! Everything sounds a lot crisper and punchier. First impressions are good :) haven't sat down and had a gaming sesh yet, and I'm yet to try out my Audio Technica cans and V-Sonic in-ears but i'm sure they'll sound equally as good.

Hooked up my Mackie MR8s via an RCA cable and they sound terrible :frowning2: worse than through the laptop, much worse in fact. I've tried fiddling with the gain and bass switches, still sounds really crackly and distorted. Also tried adjusting the various volumes, didn't make any difference. I had no time to adjust any sound settings on the laptop as I had to go to work, but I'll have another go later on tonight - any suggestions?

I'm still waiting for the Duel XLR>3.5mm TRS cable to arrive, I'm hoping perhaps that will help? But it definitely sounds like something isn't right. Great through headphones, worse through speakers.

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #752 of 1,083
Ok, so I got home and my XLR>3.5 cable arrived. Plugged it in to the E10K and directly in to the back of the Mackies and WOW does this thing sound good!!! No more crackles, just crisp clean highs and punchy bass.

I have a question for you Arsis as you also hook up your Mackies (or anyone else who knows), should I have it on high gain or low gain when hooked up to external active speakers? And what about to my G4me Zero headphones? Thanks guys.

Would recommend this little beast to anyone.

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #753 of 1,083
Ok, so I got home and my XLR>3.5 cable arrived. Plugged it in to the E10K and directly in to the back of the Mackies and WOW does this thing sound good!!! No more crackles, just crisp clean highs and punchy bass.

I have a question for you Arsis as you also hook up your Mackies (or anyone else who knows), should I have it on high gain or low gain when hooked up to external active speakers? And what about to my G4me Zero headphones? Thanks guys.

Would recommend this little beast to anyone.
Hi/Lo doesn't matter unless you're on Lo and have t turn the volume knob all the way up to get it loud enough. I have Mackie HR824 and they are plenty loud on Lo gain.

Sep 3, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #754 of 1,083
Hi/Lo doesn't matter unless you're on Lo and have t turn the volume knob all the way up to get it loud enough. I have Mackie HR824 and they are plenty loud on Lo gain.

Yeah, there's a significant volume difference but low is plenty loud

Sep 17, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #755 of 1,083
Hello all. Any IEM listeners using this on their desktop? I'm hoping to use this with my CIEM's (1964 Ears v6)

Sep 17, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #756 of 1,083
Hello all. Any IEM listeners using this on their desktop? I'm hoping to use this with my CIEM's (1964 Ears v6)
I am and I really like it.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #758 of 1,083
The FiiO E10K works perfectly fine on Windows 10, yes?

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #760 of 1,083
I have the original e10 but it's taken some abuse lately. Can anyone tell me how the e10k compares to the original? I tried an explorer merdian2 from a friend for a little bit and couldn't really tell a difference (I could but it wasn't worth the price imo) and am wondering if the e10k is a suitable replacement.

Sep 20, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #762 of 1,083
I have the original e10 but it's taken some abuse lately. Can anyone tell me how the e10k compares to the original? I tried an explorer merdian2 from a friend for a little bit and couldn't really tell a difference (I could but it wasn't worth the price imo) and am wondering if the e10k is a suitable replacement.
I have both. The original is a bit warmer with a tiny bit more background hiss. The K is quieter and crisper. Yes a worthy replacement. My preference depends on which phones, genre, production quality etc.
There is a difference but it would be hard for me to decide which is better. With my 598 i prefer the original. With my Havi B3 Pro 1 I prefer the K.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #763 of 1,083
I know this was discussed a while back, but I'm not sure I saw the answers I'd like. Take a look below:

Above: should I match that setting with the source I'm listening to? So what for Spotify (Yeah, I know)? Steam games?

Above: For sample rates, should I select all of those since the Fiio supports up to 96 KHz?

Thanks.

Sep 24, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #764 of 1,083
  I know this was discussed a while back, but I'm not sure I saw the answers I'd like. Take a look below:

Above: should I match that setting with the source I'm listening to? So what for Spotify (Yeah, I know)? Steam games?

Above: For sample rates, should I select all of those since the Fiio supports up to 96 KHz?

Thanks.

Hi, the sample rate sent to the E10K depends on which output you slelect on the music player. Take the Foobar2000 for a example, if you select "DS", then the sample rate which the E10K handle is related to the setting on your computer (as shown in the first screenshot). But if selecting "KS" or "ASIO" output, then the E10K will directly receive the sample rate of the file itself. 

the computer setting the sample rate of the file the sample rate sent to the E10K
      DS
          44.1 kHz             96 kHz                     44.1 kHz
   KS/ASIO          44.1 kHz             96 kHz                     96 kHz

As for those sample rates on the second screenshot, you can select all or not. The slection may not influence the E10K's work. 

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #765 of 1,083

Thanks.

It doesn't really matter that much--
1. If you're listening to music stored on your computer, you have the option of using WASAPI or ASIO output, which offers bit-perfect output without resampling (e.g. foobar2000 with WASAPI plugin).
2. If you can figure out the source sample rate of the material you're listening at, you may set the Default Sample Rate for the E10K to be the same and that would avoid resampling.
3. Or you can just set the Default Sample Rate to some high rate like 96000Hz and have anything that doesn't go through WASAPI to be resampled to this. This works fine, as long as your system's resampling algorithm is high quality. For Windows 7 a hotfix was needed to fix the resampling quality:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2653312

But from your screenshots I see you're running Windows 8 at least, if not 10.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back