The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Oct 30, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #16 of 567
I've had them for 3 week and they are just GREAT straight out of my iPod
happy_face1.gif

I am selling my er4s..

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #17 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by R3SET /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does these compare to the Philips SHE9850? Will the Shure olives fit the HF5?

Yes, they pair perfectly and sound is greatly enhanced. Follow my steps in the first post if you wish...

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #18 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by McCol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my HF2's today(hope its okay to invade the HF5 thread!) and so far I am really impressed with these.

HF2 owners are welcome as well as anyone who wishes to contribute...

darthsmile.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #19 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by CENTRAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please push the tip all the way using your thumb while you hold the earphone steady with the other hand. The Black Foam should now be touching the main earphone and no stem at all should be visible.
beerchug.gif

I remember reading somewhere about somewhere recommending a "spacer mod" w/ olives on etys and that is opposite of pushing it in all the way down. Which should we be doing? I don't really know what the pros and cons are either way...

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #20 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by busstonedfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading somewhere about somewhere recommending a "spacer mod" w/ olives on etys and that is opposite of pushing it in all the way down. Which should we be doing? I don't really know what the pros and cons are either way...

I tried the "spacer" by leaving some space at the end of the stem 1mm or so...

In my opinion the result was worse. Less bass and a somehow disintegrated feeling to the sound.

It is really so easy to try both ways when using the black foams, since they grip well on the stem and leavind some space will not affect the rest of the insertion process. I strongly suggest you try yourself and report your findings to all of us...
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #21 of 567
I can't, my olives are stuck all the way down, and I feel like if I force them off I'll break the stem... so I'm leaving until time to replace them, and going to cross that bridge when I get there

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #22 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by busstonedfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't, my olives are stuck all the way down, and I feel like if I force them off I'll break the stem... so I'm leaving until time to replace them, and going to cross that bridge when I get there

Place the earphones in a plastic bag (preferably the ones that have a zipper-like ending and seal tight. Then place the bag in the fridge for some time. People report this will enable you to remove the tips easily. There is some related topic in head-fi, please use the search feature to see the details.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #24 of 567
you're right, some people say it helped them. Never had this issue myself...

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #25 of 567
just ordered me some Ety HF5's in black, coming tomorrow..can't wait!!

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #26 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just ordered me some Ety HF5's in black, coming tomorrow..can't wait!!

Welcome man!

I' certain you will enjoy them! just treat them right!

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #27 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i wonder if anyone has used these with an p to s adapter

I have used mine with a homemade 47-ohm adapter and it was very nice. I actually made the adapter for another iem, so it probably wasn't optimal, but I liked it a lot. It broke several months ago. (My soldering skills kind of suck)

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #29 of 567
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have the ability to do an UN-AMPED comparison with ER4P, preferably with an Ipod product?

I have owned both but not together. From memory I want to say that un-amped, HF2/5 are clearly superior.

Reason: HF5 is much smoother sounding and the treble is not as harsh. Transients are better too most likely due to 16 ohms versus 27 ohms of ER4P. These are both 2 big areas ER4P struggles with that seem to be "fixed" with HF5. Comments?

I'm in the process of comparing the HF5 and the 4P right now. Source is FLAC encoded audio via an unamped 8GB Sansa Clip. Since my goal is maximum portability, unamped performance is my primary concern in this evaluation.

So far I agree with your assessments above. Overall the HF5 definitely sounds smoother to me than the ER-4P. HF5 bass is more pronounced and perhaps a bit on the flabby side with certain recordings. HF5 vocals sound more liquid and pleasing to me than they do on the 4P. The HF5 also has more immediacy, placing me closer to the music than its more expensive big brother. In contrast the 4P has airier high frequencies, is more analytical, and the overall sound signature is more distant and open. Both sound marvelous. It's simply a matter of personal taste and budget concerns. IMO you can't go wrong with either of these IEMs.

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #30 of 567
got my HF5's yesterday, only had a proper chance to get to grips with them today.
First things first, baby blue's are too small, the standard tri-flanges fitted, provided incredible isolation and whilst not uncomfortable, I really felt them in my ears which distracted from the music. Klipsch ovals on, excellent comfort with decent isolation (ymmv), not as mch as the tri-flanges but very very good isolation none the less.
stoked up the mptrois player and put on a few tracks of varying genres. Now my first thought - 'hmm'. Never having owned ety's before I wasn't quite sure what to expect but from reading various reviews and being told they are very RE0 like then I didn't think I would be bowled over by the sound sig out of the box and I wasn't, but I wanted to try a pair of ety's.
And I'm very glad I have, because I actually love them. Out of the box the 530's blew me away with its powerhouse mids. The FX500's with its ridiculously low bass. The ety's there is nothing for me that immediatley jumped out and said hey look at me, you could say the highs but they also felt very inline with everything else, its all very balanced, yet as more listening goes on I realise these are not cold like the RE0's. They feel very romantic, they are soft and incredibly inviting into the music but at the same time ridiculously detailed, its not immediately obvious but with each song I felt more and more taken by what I was hearing. The only other IEM to achieve this effect was the UM3x's (for different reasons). There is just a distinct balance and 'rightness' to everything, they aren't too cold, not too warm, not too bassy, not by any means harsh, the mids aren't forward, they are there in check with everything else. Its a very pleasing sound signature that grows on you, one I could listen to all day and feel the music as it was intended.
But I will say if you listen to hip-hop and rap only, I say look elsewhere, there are better options for these genres.
Are these my favourite IEM's? no, because I don't have a favourite IEM. But these are wonderful and certainly going to be a mainstay in my IEM lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back