The Entry Level Stax Thread
Jan 8, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #1,397 of 3,322
After an hour with the STAX SR-X, the on-ear form factor really hurt and proves once again that my ears aren't so great at dealing with on-ear designs.
I haven't bought the replacement pads yet, someone on this thread linked me to leather pads & I have a browser window open for them, but those leather pads also look pretty thin and I was wondering if Beyerdynamic on-ear pads could be taped on instead? Any other suggestions for on-ear comfort?

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #1,398 of 3,322
How does an entry level Stax setup compare to a similarly priced pair of dynamic headphones? Maybe around a $500 price point. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #1,399 of 3,322
How does an entry level Stax setup compare to a similarly priced pair of dynamic headphones? Maybe around a $500 price point. 

It would by far surpass it, you have to enter the > $1000 category to have better in the dynamic world, and that is without the amp.

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #1,401 of 3,322

I have a Lambda Nova Basic Set, and it easily defeats Grado GS-1000 and PS-1000 headphones in detail, clarity, bass, and soundstage. The delivery is much more neutral though. I'm going through my music collection and hearing details in music I've known for years that no other pair of headphones has ever revealed to me. If you can get a Lambda Nova or 2170 set for around 500$, I would get them. Your ears will thank you.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #1,402 of 3,322
I have a Lambda Nova Basic Set, and it easily defeats Grado GS-1000 and PS-1000 headphones in detail, clarity, bass, and soundstage. The delivery is much more neutral though. I'm going through my music collection and hearing details in music I've known for years that no other pair of headphones has ever revealed to me. If you can get a Lambda Nova or 2170 set for around 500$, I would get them. Your ears will thank you.

i am in the same situation but with the hifiman 400.... The stax lambda nova is my first choice,  the hifiman he 400 are less detailed , less natural, but i enjoyed them also....

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #1,403 of 3,322
What is the cheapest way for me to amplify a pair of Stax headphones? I was looking at a pair of 207 - 507 headphones, but don't want to purchase the amplifier with them. I have a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 speaker amplifier right now. I have read that you can use a transformer box, but I'm not exactly sure where to find that or if it'll work well (if at all). Could anyone point me in the right direction? 

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #1,404 of 3,322
What is the cheapest way for me to amplify a pair of Stax headphones? I was looking at a pair of 207 - 507 headphones, but don't want to purchase the amplifier with them. I have a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 speaker amplifier right now. I have read that you can use a transformer box, but I'm not exactly sure where to find that or if it'll work well (if at all). Could anyone point me in the right direction? 

My experience with speaker amps (good ones) adapted to Stax cans suggests it won't be as good as a real Stax or other electrostatic type amp, especially in terms of timbre, texture, space, and a relaxed & graceful delivery. If one is patient, good used Stax amps come up frequently. Once you get a real electrostatic amp, you are set for whatever Stax cans you want.

I got my SRM1 MKII Pro for sub $400 two to three years ago. It drives both Normal and Pro bias cans, works great with my 407s, and I've had a blast at meets driving many different Stax (including the Normal bias Sigmas in the pic).

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #1,405 of 3,322

I have a set, but I think the SRM-Xh driver set of my Stax delivers current as well as music to my headphones, so I don't know about connecting the Stax to a non-Stax amplifier.. Or are the 207-507 headphones 'electrets'?

Feb 3, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,406 of 3,322

hello,

you are looking for one of these:

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wee.html

Feb 7, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #1,408 of 3,322
  Just picked up an SR-5 and SRD-7 from CL. Looking forward to trying them out! First I have to figure out how to hook it up...

Man, I love how the black SR-5 looks! If you don't like it, I'll take them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #1,409 of 3,322

nice man.  you probably picked up the pair I was trying to get in wisconsin.  Guy backed out on me to sell local.  good for you.  That is the sr5 gold nb.  it far surpasses the sr-5.

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #1,410 of 3,322

nice man.  you probably picked up the pair I was trying to get in wisconsin.  Guy backed out on me to sell local.  good for you.  That is the sr5 gold nb.  it far surpasses the sr-5.

Yeah, probably the same guy. Sorry about that! Are the gold versions really supposed to be better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back