The Entry Level Stax Thread
Aug 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #1,246 of 3,322
My mistake. Bottom of the line Stax is about $700.

So, again, how about that comparison against other's "entry level".

IOWs, let's not be disingenuous here, we're not discussing anything "entry level" in general.

Just in comparison to the Stax line which is pretty near a geometric increase in cost for each 'level'.

Diminishing returns kick in well before $4500 (sr-009) + $900 (bottom line 'good enough' amp) for the TOTL Stax. IMO.

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,248 of 3,322
Well for starters, I don't think any headphone below $800 can objectively have as linear of a frequency response nor as low of distortion as the entry STAX.

A modded KWH HOK 80, costs about $20 used + whatever time you spend modding, which may well be from weeks to months. Doesn't have exceptionally low distortion, but it's still 3% of $800 in cash.

Besides, I always thought of entry-level Stax as being the $150 second-hand models that aren't bad to this day.

Aug 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #1,249 of 3,322
Well for starters, I don't think any headphone below $800 can objectively have as linear of a frequency response nor as low of distortion as the entry STAX.

A modded KWH HOK 80, costs about $20 used + whatever time you spend modding, which may well be from weeks to months. Doesn't have exceptionally low distortion, but it's still 3% of $800 in cash.

Besides, I always thought of entry-level Stax as being the $150 second-hand models that aren't bad to this day.

I was thinking the original question was directed towards new, currently-produced models. The SR-202, no longer produced, can be found for around $200.

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #1,250 of 3,322
It may have been about new phones, but then, why limit your buying to new models, especially if looking for a deal? Unless the idea of buying second-hand is repulsive in some way.

The SR-5/Gold + SRD-6 combo can be had for $100 sometimes, but usually under $150, anyway.

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,254 of 3,322
My mistake. Bottom of the line Stax is about $700.

So, again, how about that comparison against other's "entry level".

IOWs, let's not be disingenuous here, we're not discussing anything "entry level" in general.

Just in comparison to the Stax line which is pretty near a geometric increase in cost for each 'level'.

Diminishing returns kick in well before $4500 (sr-009) + $900 (bottom line 'good enough' amp) for the TOTL Stax. IMO.

Don't take it so seriously......you need a drink!

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #1,255 of 3,322
So my SRS-2107 basic set (SRM-252s and SR-207) came in. I'm still in the early stages of discovery and only have a few hours on them but I have to say I am very positively surprised. Clear, fast and detailed sound, beautiful mids, nice (non-sibillant) treble and beautifully textured and defined bass which goes deep (in my view they are absolutely not lacking in the bass category). Soundstage is not really big (not so important for me) but instruments are well separated.

Cons? Yes, there are a few: Comfort is better than expected but I still need to take them off after 2 hours to give my ears a "physical" break. Build is a little bit plasticy but seems solid. And of course they look goofy but I only wear them inside the house anyway.

Now I would not be a real "head-fier" if I was not already wondering what the SR-407 might sound l like :D

Found a farewell letter from my wallet on the kitchen table this morning...

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #1,256 of 3,322
This is my first post here so hello to all.

I've bought a vintage SR-Lambda almost a year ago on this forum, thanks to you guys :) I'm not a high-end guy with a superior hearing, using it mainly for composing music and like the clean, indifferent sound. Now looking for some other options for a slight upgrade but I don't know how far should I go for a noticeable difference. I'd like to ask what would be the next reasonable step up from this model. I'm using it with hifimediy DDX320 and SRD7SB.

Thanks!

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #1,257 of 3,322
SRM-1/mk2 pro (PS section re-capped).
It will improve details / extension of you Lambda...and the pro output makes you ready for the next upgrade 
biggrin.gif

Ali

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #1,258 of 3,322
So my SRS-2107 basic set (SRM-252s and SR-207) came in. I'm still in the early stages of discovery and only have a few hours on them but I have to say I am very positively surprised. Clear, fast and detailed sound, beautiful mids, nice (non-sibillant) treble and beautifully textured and defined bass which goes deep (in my view they are absolutely not lacking in the bass category). Soundstage is not really big (not so important for me) but instruments are well separated.

Cons? Yes, there are a few: Comfort is better than expected but I still need to take them off after 2 hours to give my ears a "physical" break. Build is a little bit plasticy but seems solid. And of course they look goofy but I only wear them inside the house anyway.

Now I would not be a real "head-fier" if I was not already wondering what the SR-407 might sound l like :D

Found a farewell letter from my wallet on the kitchen table this morning...

I've never tried it myself, but someone who's opinion I trust, told me to upgrade the amp before upgrading the SR-207 'phones.

I agree on your bass and treble comments!

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #1,259 of 3,322
It looks like Tyll officially published the measurements for the SR-207:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207SB2217.pdf

as well as a STAX SR-40 Electret and SR4 Adapter:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR40ElectretSR4Adapter.pdf

Original article:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-update-september-2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Back