The Entry Level Stax Thread
Aug 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #1,202 of 3,322
Hi,
I need advice on pricing for STAX SRM 006-T amp with SR - 404 headphones. I think the 404 is lesser version, but both mint. Asking price is 700 euro (cca 930 $) for combo. I would be grateful for short impression if someone has experience with this setup.

I have basically the same combo, but with the slightly updated 006ts. It's very capable but leans towards brightness, so be careful what you feed it with. Ideally you'd want a smooth sounding digital source (assuming that you're not using analogue... ) as any harshness will probably sound unpleasant through the Stax system, which is revealing and won't sweeten the sound.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #1,203 of 3,322
My first post, but I'm not a new audiophile.

Posting to say I appreciate this thread and that I'm expecting an SR-307 and SRM-323S tomorrow.
(Are we allowed to mention vendors here? I'm in USA, placed an order with an Indiana company which claimed "in-stock" yesterday, got FedEx tracking number today.)

I've had a pair of SR-5 / SRD-6 since the early 1980's when I bought them used from original owner / friend.

Sadly, I never really used them much due to the discomfort. (**Great** sound, but like hammering on your toe - it feels so good when you stop / take them off.)

I've been primarily using HD-650 for the last few years - *excellent* comfort and damn good sound. I'm convinced that these Stax will have better sound, to my preference, than the 650's. Just a kilo-buck bet that the comfort of this new Stax generation will be acceptable.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #1,204 of 3,322
Apologies, I left out relevant information.

I'm driving both of those headphones with a Denon 5700.

And I'm pretty sure the SR-5's sound better with this than they did on the Yamaha R100 twenty-five years ago.

Every link in the chain counts.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #1,205 of 3,322
Your ears are a bit sticking-out, and you have the marks of the inner plastic grid on your earlobes after a listening session ? Know that feel, bro
biggrin.gif

Maybe also a bit too big and SR-5 is rather on-ear than over-ear to you ?
Anyway, this "new Stax generation" is not that new : 1979 for the first Lambda 
wink.gif

Ali

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #1,206 of 3,322
Would I be correct in assuming that the 2170 combo unit would be the darkest and have the most mid bass quantity out of all the current Lambda's or am I mistaken? 

I'm considering trying out the Stax sound but at a lower price point - I already have a person who would buy them off me if it didn't work out.

Aug 13, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #1,207 of 3,322
"Dark" and "mid-bass" aren't the words that come to mind when Stax is about (except SR-007).
All Lambda share amazing clarity. Extension, behaviour in the midrange and detail retrieval are the main differences.
Generally speaking, the older the more midrange / the less extension and details, with some exceptions (bright-ish Lambda Signature)...the older the better, for some Stax addicts.
Current x07 range are technically the most advanced Lambda (extension, details), but some may find them too cold, unnatural in detail retrieval and with kind of glaring issues. Through this point of view, SR-207 is indeed the better choice.
But no mistakes : a bright / glaring Stax is still far more mellower than a not-so-well driven HD800, you'll never have any harshness or fatigue.

Ali

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #1,208 of 3,322
My first post, but I'm not a new audiophile.

Posting to say I appreciate this thread and that I'm expecting an SR-307 and [COLOR=333333]SRM-323S tomorrow.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333](Are we allowed to mention vendors here? I'm in USA, placed an order with an Indiana company which claimed "in-stock" yesterday, got FedEx tracking number today.)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I've had a pair of SR-5 / SRD-6 since the early 1980's when I bought them used from original owner / friend.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Sadly, I never really used them much due to the discomfort. (**Great** sound, but like hammering on your toe - it feels so good when you stop / take them off.)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I've been primarily using HD-650 for the last few years - *excellent* comfort and damn good sound. I'm convinced that these Stax will have better sound, to my preference, than the 650's. Just a kilo-buck bet that the comfort of this new Stax generation will be acceptable.[/COLOR]

The Stax will be more natural and less mechanical sounding than the Senns.
(In my opinion!)
I find that my Stax SR-207 are fairly comfortable.
The Stax should also have a purer, less distorted midrange and treble.
(Ummm...... In my opinion....):D
I hope you enjoy your Stax system.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #1,209 of 3,322
I now have about three hours 'on-ear' with the new toy.

I won't be going to the effort of this very helpful (to me) post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615975/comparative-review-of-the-sennheiser-hd650-and-the-stax-sr-202

But after I have lived with them for a little while I will come back to post a few more details / opinions than this brief response.

First, IMO, the HD-650 are no slackers sonically.

Second, "fairly comfortable" would have to be the operative description for my impression of the SR-307 "ear speakers". *NOT* as comfortable as the HD-650. I rate the comfort on these Stax as: Acceptable.

My current bottom line assessment - the purchase was worth it to me.

The HD-650's will now be dedicated to the Theatre room for 'after hours' video viewing rather than doing the commute they had been doing and the SR-307/SRM-323s combo is now permanently in my critical listening location being driven off the pre-out jacks of an AVR-5700 receiver.

I am, with my whole three hours of working through 'listening tests' of tracks I am *very* familiar with, totally satisfied that this purchase was a worthwhile upgrade, sonically, from the HD-650s and look forward to years of "hey, I didn't hear *that* before / as well" experiences.

The Stax will be more natural and less mechanical sounding than the Senns.
(In my opinion!)
I find that my Stax SR-207 are fairly comfortable.
(Ummm...... In my opinion....)
biggrin.gif

I hope you enjoy your Stax system.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #1,210 of 3,322

BTW, the Stax also have a clear advantage, to me, in the low end.

Significantly deeper extension and clearly better definition.

And for that comparison I have a pretty good quality sub-woofer in the Theatre room.

The Stax can't make my butt vibrate
smile.gif
, but I *can* hear that they go lower than the HD-650s.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #1,212 of 3,322
The 307 really benefits some simple EQ. Just say if interested.

I think they sound kinda disjointed without EQ, which is obvious compared to the LS.

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #1,214 of 3,322
  Hello, can anyone recommend a case suitable for transporting of the Lambda earspeakers? Am looking for something sturdy but not the heavy suitcases.

Cases able to carry a pair of DT250 should accomodate a pair of lambdas.

Yesterday I dusted off my Lambdas as I dan't listened to them in over 6 months due to they being in the loudspeaker room where I listen mostly to... loudspeakers!
It's insane how you're left wondering how little audio reproduction has evolved in the last 30 years... the speed, clarity and... that midrange. Did a bit of Opeth, Haken and Porcupine Tree... not enough sleep lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back