The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jul 30, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #3,121 of 3,155
I did btw, the sound changed, but really can't tell difference between iPhone 6s' sound and the dx90's , expendeture-wise it should sound better , but it doesn't (((. Maybe firmware can save the situation? which one would you recommend? to my ears the sound won't change much. when enabling equalizer, the sound losses its panorama or something, so I didn't like it. Idlike to have a wide wide stereo, and base too, now (and before too) the bass wasn't impressive (although I am not a bass head), any thought on how reinstate good sound? thanks

Well, I don't have the DX90 MM2 anymore.
As I remember, I have tried every single firmware, official from Ibasso and Lurker ones to find the one I prefer.
My favorite was the 2.5.1 L0.
From memory I would suggest you to try 2.4.0 L1.
Btw did you get some new battery such as Jubatec ones?

Aug 4, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #3,122 of 3,155
Well, I don't have the DX90 MM2 anymore.
As I remember, I have tried every single firmware, official from Ibasso and Lurker ones to find the one I prefer.
My favorite was the 2.5.1 L0.
From memory I would suggest you to try 2.4.0 L1.
Btw did you get some new battery such as Jubatec ones?

I tried new normal samsung battery, same same. No difference in sound or battery life,wonder if an extended battery will be any different.
I am now MM2, and looking for my FW. So far 2.0 sounds nice, but its luggy on buttons , and skips some tracks when played image files, ((( even 2.05 seems to have less life compared to 2.0. I wrote to Paul Basso about the bugs, but he said these bugs were fixed in the next fw's. Now FW development for DX90 is discontinued, there will be no new FW's , unless somebody could fix FW from bugs without changing it, like lurker 2.0 L 1 (?) any thoughts?

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #3,124 of 3,155
You could try the firmware from Fidelizer audio.

you mean free purist rom or a paid custom firmware? I tried purist on not yet-modded dx90, now I just can't find it, it disappeared.
I also think it's useful to have rockbox to edit/remove stuff, but those are late firmwares and there are not all of them. (based on 2.5.1 + L3, by cholero@head-fi, etc.
anyways, thanks for being with me. Any good thoughts of yours are appreciated.

Aug 5, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #3,125 of 3,155
I tried new normal samsung battery, same same. No difference in sound or battery life,wonder if an extended battery will be any different.
I am now MM2, and looking for my FW. So far 2.0 sounds nice, but its luggy on buttons , and skips some tracks when played image files, ((( even 2.05 seems to have less life compared to 2.0. I wrote to Paul Basso about the bugs, but he said these bugs were fixed in the next fw's. Now FW development for DX90 is discontinued, there will be no new FW's , unless somebody could fix FW from bugs without changing it, like lurker 2.0 L 1 (?) any thoughts?

....and there is no 2.5.1 L0 (?), do you have a working link for fidelizer FW? thanks

Aug 6, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #3,127 of 3,155
thanks for showing all lurker's firmwares. fidelizer download link is not working! I think I got to move towards rockbox-enabled firmware. I was shocked how vinil-like warm RB played the other day (FW1.8L). I installed napych's bootloader followed by full RB build from the same page, but updated the build with the official latest RB for DX90. RB sounded different from the 1st experience. Does the FW affect SQ in RB? It should not. And it's possible that DX90 started playing this warm after an extended play. This makes me speculate that it could be new parts installed by Sanmigel not burnt in well, or it's a weak battery, or the player needs some warm-in time to reach this SQ. I will try burning-in the player again (was done before modding), and probably will look into buying a big battery. For this warmth of sound I would give up on 24bit files without blinking the eye. Does any of this make sense to you? thanks

Aug 6, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #3,129 of 3,155
thanks for showing all lurker's firmwares. fidelizer download link is not working! I think I got to move towards rockbox-enabled firmware. I was shocked how vinil-like warm RB played the other day (FW1.8L). I installed napych's bootloader followed by full RB build from the same page, but updated the build with the official latest RB for DX90. RB sounded different from the 1st experience. Does the FW affect SQ in RB? It should not. And it's possible that DX90 started playing this warm after an extended play. This makes me speculate that it could be new parts installed by Sanmigel not burnt in well, or it's a weak battery, or the player needs some warm-in time to reach this SQ. I will try burning-in the player again (was done before modding), and probably will look into buying a big battery. For this warmth of sound I would give up on 24bit files without blinking the eye. Does any of this make sense to you? thanks
I never tried Rockbox on DX90.
FYI http://www.mediafire.com/file/4kufx6hqs8yudtr/DX90-2.5.1-WindowsX-Purist.zip
Yes, do some burn-in for some time.
If you have found your sound, I have nothing more to say.

Aug 6, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #3,130 of 3,155
FYI http://www.mediafire.com/file/4kufx6hqs8yudtr/DX90-2.5.1-WindowsX-Purist.zip

Fabi, thanks for supporting me here. Just for the record, and if intrested, rockbox is very nice sounding thing, BUT for some reason it's not that wide as original FW, and I got to deal with that. The builds on this page https://napych.com/other/rockbox-for-ibasso-dx90/official-rockbox-binary-builds/ are optimized for dx90 , the official rockbox website's are not. I think my sound should be maximum close to FW2.0, same wide and fat sound. what that could be?

Aug 13, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #3,131 of 3,155

Hello, if you are still there, I found my favorite firmware 2.1.5L2, BUT it almost have no bass, the others not much more too. is it normal? I have MM2, I even asked the Sanmigel, he said he had checked everything, all frequencies, and he said no such thing like burning-in existed (!). Is Dx90 really not very bassy from the very birth? is it an audiophile thing when it's not too much bass?). I am so confused. thanks

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #3,132 of 3,155
Hello, if you are still there, I found my favorite firmware 2.1.5L2, BUT it almost have no bass, the others not much more too. is it normal? I have MM2, I even asked the Sanmigel, he said he had checked everything, all frequencies, and he said no such thing like burning-in existed (!). Is Dx90 really not very bassy from the very birth? is it an audiophile thing when it's not too much bass?). I am so confused. thanks
Well - iBasso did include a burn-in cable with the DX90! I was never one to buy into the burn-in mythology but I can say that with my DX220 the sound quality did appear to improve after 20 - 40 hours of listening. Does that make me a believer - not necessarily...

With respect to bass - my DX90 provided gobs of great bass (using Sony MDR-EX650 T iem's and low gain for the most part) but then again I did use custom EQ settings and boosted the low and high frequencies in a more classic V shape with the recognition that activating EQ results in a 6 dB cut across the board first. I also ended up on FW 2.4.0 from iBasso.

Suggest using the EQ to get the sound you like - don't be afraid of EQ - it is your friend :ksc75smile:!

Cheers,
Tim

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #3,133 of 3,155
2.1.5 firmware was not really into bass as I remember.
It was rather a large, airy, analytical sound.
Perhaps you could try EQ

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #3,134 of 3,155
Well - iBasso did include a burn-in cable with the DX90! I was never one to buy into the burn-in mythology but I can say that with my DX220 the sound quality did appear to improve after 20 - 40 hours of listening. Does that make me a believer - not necessarily...

With respect to bass - my DX90 provided gobs of great bass (using Sony MDR-EX650 T iem's and low gain for the most part) but then again I did use custom EQ settings and boosted the low and high frequencies in a more classic V shape with the recognition that activating EQ results in a 6 dB cut across the board first. I also ended up on FW 2.4.0 from iBasso.

Suggest using the EQ to get the sound you like - don't be afraid of EQ - it is your friend :ksc75smile:!

Cheers,
Tim
that was my first thought to use EQ but it cuts off all sound and dynamics??? Have you developed some presets?

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #3,135 of 3,155
that was my first thought to use EQ but it cuts off all sound and dynamics??? Have you developed some presets?
I do not hear any negative impacts on sound quality using the EQ - as long as you don't overdrive any frequency into clipping you should be just fine. Like I mentioned - when you turn EQ on it automatically applies a -6 dB to all frequencies so if you set any of them to +6 dB you are essentially going back to flat response. Try a little experiment by turning on custom EQ and set all 10 bands to +6 dB - you should find no discernible difference in sound from that to EQ Off.

Here are the settings I used for years on my DX90:
33hz = +7
63hz = +6
100hz = +4
330hz = +2
630hz = +1
1khz = +2
3.3khz = +4
6.3khz = +6
10khz = +7
16khz = +6

I listen predominately to heavy metal, hard rock, and classic rock which some smatterings of country and pop/rock.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back