The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Jul 31, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #3,091 of 3,155
I just tested some old firmwares again and spent a good time doing a comparison..

I still find the 2.2.0 official to sound the most natural and uncolored, compared to lurker's and other ibasso official firmware.

How about you guys?
I try now 2.2.0 again, its good only cause its really more flat, and you can enjoy the upper basses much more, buut the highs are not well rendered at all and the sounstage is bad. Before that I was with 2.4.0 lurkers, exciting it was, but the highs were too gained although well rendered and the sounstage was extremely blowing. Curious to try 2.5.1 now but dont know anything now. With 2.2.0 I can hear hours of music cause with 2.4.0 only 3 tracks... And then tinnitus, cause tooo gained in highs and I have 5 speaker IEMs of highest quality.

Aug 3, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #3,094 of 3,155
Just picked up one if these after about a year of wondering about them. I've been using a Fiio X5ii through E12 &/or Objective 2 into Hd650's up to now mostly and I wasn't sure that the 90 would be noticeably different let alone an 'upgrade'.

Well, after a day to burn my head in, the jury's back: Holy Carp! This thing is incredible. Listening now to the Remastered Marley 'Survival' in flac - the clarity & depth of the bass, the instrument separation and soundstage, the vocals: all just amazing. But it's also 'musical' and involving. Crazy.

I rockboxed it but the UI just immediately irritated me (though I loved it on my old Sansa Clips & Fuze for instance). It just seemed too raw an interface, somehow. The latest Mango seems absolutely fine to me. Looking forwards to reading back through these threads now. Maybe I'll run the Lurker versions? I guess these are kinda 'suck it and see' in terms of the differences between them? To a newbie the difference between them seem none too clear - but I guess you gotta listen to each of them to know? I'm just enjoying it too much to be diverted by trying to install different firmwares!

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #3,095 of 3,155

I downloaded this and then read the text on the linked page - which managed to confuse me pretty quickly and deflate my interest in having a go with it. "Since many people asked for Gaplass and Equalizer, I decided to lower the bar for people who want it." What? How does making gapless work 'lower the bar'? Perhaps this is just a translation/ language glitch? If gapless does work on a 2.5.1 Mango build then that's a pretty big deal of course.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #3,096 of 3,155
Quick question: is it possible to run Headwhacker's Rockbox in a dual boot alongside the current unmodified Mango 2.5.1? It looks to me that this is not currently possible but it's tricky to get one's head around the possibilities here. Help very gratefully accepted! (Though it occurs to me I'd be better off asking this in the Ibasso Rockbox thread! Doh!)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #3,097 of 3,155
hallo i just had this DX90 for a while now and i want to give a little impression regarding the 2.5.1 L2 firmware by Lurker, thank for your great work:) btw, back to the point to be honest i'm surprised to heared the differences is quite significant although in the github said no sound differences with the stock one. I used both iem and headphone ATH m50x for my listening session and surprisingly enough its sound good warm and rich sound come out from the cans while listening to DX90 running 2.5.1 stock firmware, compare to 2.5.1 L2 imho its sound rather too clean or rather bright compare to stock 2.5.1 firmware. so long story short i still prefer the richness and darker sound that come from stock 2.5.1 firmware:)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #3,098 of 3,155
hallo i just had this DX90 for a while now and i want to give a little impression regarding the 2.5.1 L2 firmware by Lurker, thank for your great work:) btw, back to the point to be honest i'm surprised to heared the differences is quite significant although in the github said no sound differences with the stock one. I used both iem and headphone ATH m50x for my listening session and surprisingly enough its sound good warm and rich sound come out from the cans while listening to DX90 running 2.5.1 stock firmware, compare to 2.5.1 L2 imho its sound rather too clean or rather bright compare to stock 2.5.1 firmware. so long story short i still prefer the richness and darker sound that come from stock 2.5.1 firmware:)

Glad for you mate. :beerchug:
ATH M50x, which I found them sounding flat and "boring", I would not pair them with DX90 on 2.5.1 by Lurker as well.

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #3,099 of 3,155
Aug 16, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #3,100 of 3,155
Glad for you mate. :beerchug:
ATH M50x, which I found them sounding flat and "boring", I would not pair them with DX90 on 2.5.1 by Lurker as well.
i also found something interesting about m50x cable where the coiled cable sound better than both straight cables, at least for me which pair with DX90 stock 2.5.1

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #3,101 of 3,155
I found conflicting information - does the DX90 send DoP without converting file formats?

Sep 13, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #3,102 of 3,155
I found conflicting information - does the DX90 send DoP without converting file formats?
Send DoP? The DX90 plays DSD but down samples it to 24/192.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Sep 13, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #3,103 of 3,155
Send DoP? The DX90 plays DSD but down samples it to 24/192.
Wow, I wasn't clear at all haha. I meant can the DX90 send DSD through DoP (DSD-over-PCM) through the digital coax port, or does it only send it via D2P (DSD-to-PCM) downsampled to 24/88? I got a Chord Mojo and I use the DX90 as a transport, and was wondering if I could feed the Mojo pure DSD without tinkering.

Sep 14, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #3,104 of 3,155
Wow, I wasn't clear at all haha. I meant can the DX90 send DSD through DoP (DSD-over-PCM) through the digital coax port, or does it only send it via D2P (DSD-to-PCM) downsampled to 24/88? I got a Chord Mojo and I use the DX90 as a transport, and was wondering if I could feed the Mojo pure DSD without tinkering.
you mean how ibasso dx90 spdif out work? cause in fiio player there are D2P and DOP but ibasso dx90 dont have the option so it make you(us) wonder, right?.

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #3,105 of 3,155
you mean how ibasso dx90 spdif out work? cause in fiio player there are D2P and DOP but ibasso dx90 dont have the option so it make you(us) wonder, right?.
It's great that the FiiO has both, but it doesn't connect to USB hard drives unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back