The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
Feb 5, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #1,996 of 3,155
thx nc8000 makes sense, was hoping the m3u was kind of agnostic to higher level folder structure as long as the files & playlist file were in the same folder - hopefully I won't need to edit that for each file but can keep it to edit it once for that folder. not sure this sentence expresses what I'm trying to say though :) but again thx.

Feb 7, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,997 of 3,155
a note on the power of the dx90 amp.  i just got a mr. speakers alpha prime.  in a report from canjam on innerfidelity, dan clark [mr. speakers himself] said the primes were harder to drive than the alpha dogs, and he recommended a minimum of 200mw@50ohms output.  so i assumed my dx90 wasn't going to be up to it.  i had noticed, for example, that on high gain the dx90 could drive hd700's but produced a smaller soundstage than when using a more powerful amp.  the alpha primes show lower impedance, but as planar magnetics the impedance rating doesn't tell most of the story.

i got an ifi micro idsd, thinking that would surely be powerful enough for the alpha primes, plus would allow me to compare a different dac, and different amp by either using the dx90 only as a transport via the coax out, or using the dx90 only as a dac via the line out.

i won't go into the various comparisons of different configurations, but the dx90 alone, on medium gain, was as good as any.

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #1,998 of 3,155
I was looking into buying the DX90 and it sounds pretty impressive, especially being able to replace the battery. I cant stand any electronics were you cant change the battery. All batteries have a cycle life and if you cant replace it your stuck sending it to the manufacture to have it replaced. I think my mind is made up and finally going to order one.

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #1,999 of 3,155
  I was looking into buying the DX90 and it sounds pretty impressive, especially being able to replace the battery. I cant stand any electronics were you cant change the battery. All batteries have a cycle life and if you cant replace it your stuck sending it to the manufacture to have it replaced. I think my mind is made up and finally going to order one.

it's not just replacing a battery at the end of its life, it's being able to carry charged spares and have essentially unlimited playing time.

Feb 7, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #2,000 of 3,155
the battery thing is just the 'icing' on the sound 'cake'

looking at the DX90 amazon reviews , seeing 83% being 5/5 (and this goes up to 97% if we include the 4/5* reviews) you know this ****'s for real

http://www.amazon.com/iBasso-DX90-Resolution-Connection-Distributor/product-reviews/B00JRGLX3G/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

plus it looks/feels good in your palm
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #2,001 of 3,155

The other bonus is nowadays with microsd cards you don't have to worry about not being able to replace storage either. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #2,002 of 3,155
I have a number daps, yeah, a few, and while I like the internal storage ok, I like to switch music types and I realize I forget that I even have anything on the internal storage because I put in the micro SD card I want to listen to. I have pure rock, jazz, classical, western, reggae, a few cards that are mixed, with section for western, rock and whatever. With the 128gb cards and even my 64gb cards, my needs are met. I enjoy the AK100II and its storage but still, I don't use it much, I normally prefer to go with the SD cards. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #2,003 of 3,155
i recommend one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXY9E0I/

there are other versions of this card but the others are all dark. i recommend this one not for the american flag, but because the white color allows you to see which slots are occupied, and also makes it easier to write a title on the back for each slot.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #2,004 of 3,155
  i recommend one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXY9E0I/

there are other versions of this card but the others are all dark. i recommend this one not for the american flag, but because the white color allows you to see which slots are occupied, and also makes it easier to write a title on the back for each slot.

The one I use is smaller has 9 slots and one for a regular SD card or adapter. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #2,005 of 3,155
Hi- I was wondering which portable AMP+dAC would fit the ibasso.
I really want to connect a DAC through the coaxial cable
Any recommendations?

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #2,006 of 3,155
Hi- I was wondering which portable AMP+dAC would fit the ibasso.
I really want to connect a DAC through the coaxial cable
Any recommendations?

Why do you want to do that ?
Both the amp and dac in the DX90 are more than good enough for most purposes.

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #2,007 of 3,155
Why do you want to do that ?
Both the amp and dac in the DX90 are more than good enough for most purposes.

Sorry for the ignorance but does the dx90 have a dac? Is it switchable?

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #2,008 of 3,155
I know it can be used as a PC DAC but does it have it's own internal DAC? So the electric format be transferred to analog?

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #2,009 of 3,155
The one I use is smaller has 9 slots and one for a regular SD card or adapter. 

I just got my dx90, and like it. I've filled up my 128gb micro sd card, and can see the benefit of getting a holder such as those described here to switch multiple micro sd cards in and out.

QUESTION: wouldn't the dx90 need to scan the media library of the swapped micro sd card each time? My scan takes 40 minutes, and this swap may be a little impractical "on the fly." Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Feb 8, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #2,010 of 3,155
I know it can be used as a PC DAC but does it have it's own internal DAC? So the electric format be transferred to analog?

the dx90 consists of a dac with 2 parallel sabre chips and parallel amplifiers.  i've been experimenting with running it coax out to an ifi micro idsd.  the idsd has dual burr brown chips.  the idsd isn't burned in yet, but so far i have to say i like the dx90's dac a lot better- cleaner, clearer output.  i've also run the dx90 line out to the idsd's analog input to try the idsd's amp instead of the dx90's.  the major advantage with the idsd is bass boost and the "3d-holographic" analog crossfeed, which does add something.  i thought i'd need something as powerful as the idsd micro to power my mr. speakers alpha primes, but i've discovered that they sound fine directly out of the dx90 on medium gain.
 ​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back