The DIY'rs Cookbook
Apr 1, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #991 of 1,974
  Did you figure out how to get the latch off the XLR connector? The post someone linked later in the thread mentioned a SIM card removal tool with an unspecified modification. I tried some small flat metal objects in the top hole and wasn't able to get it to come off.

I am thinking about buying one of these LPSes with dual outputs http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-mirror-style-S130-Ultra-Low-Noise-Linear-Power-supply-2-way-LPS-DC-5V-24V-/132021195239?hash=item1ebd1391e7:g:59AAAOSwuzRXeg55. I could use one +5V and another +6.3V to power both my RN3 and MC-3+USB. I am thinking about just running the wires directly so I don't have to hassle with getting connectors and fitting them to the chassis.

There was talk about wiring the earth ground from the LPSes to the devices they're powering, but you're just using a floating ground right?

I fabricated a 'tool' to insert into the connector body and was able to remove the 'push' button on a 'spare' connector.
But I wasn't able to extract the 'broken' one using the same tool in the 3+, so I left it.

It looks like that is a true dual output LPS so it should work for you.

No, I have stayed with grounding the minus side of the LPS to the chassis ground, due to the lower noise I measured and listed in my previous post.
Which in turn means my chassis is connected to the ground connection from the ac mains.
So no, my setup isn't floating.

JJ

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #992 of 1,974
  Did you figure out how to get the latch off the XLR connector? The post someone linked later in the thread mentioned a SIM card removal tool with an unspecified modification. I tried some small flat metal objects in the top hole and wasn't able to get it to come off.

I am thinking about buying one of these LPSes with dual outputs http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-mirror-style-S130-Ultra-Low-Noise-Linear-Power-supply-2-way-LPS-DC-5V-24V-/132021195239?hash=item1ebd1391e7:g:59AAAOSwuzRXeg55. I could use one +5V and another +6.3V to power both my RN3 and MC-3+USB. I am thinking about just running the wires directly so I don't have to hassle with getting connectors and fitting them to the chassis.

There was talk about wiring the earth ground from the LPSes to the devices they're powering, but you're just using a floating ground right?

I have that same lps both configured for 5vdc to run the 2 Mutec non-usb in my chain. You can message the seller if you want a different color display and power button led. I think the default is green. I picked blue to match the other 2 Meiyan lps that I got. I wired the RN3 the same as JJ did with the negative output of the regulator board connected to earth ground. The Mutecs are powered up with floating ground.

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #993 of 1,974
On the effect of the LPS mod to the Rednet
I had been primarily using my horn speakers and could hear the positive effects to the sound, particularly the soundstage width and layering.

Some intense listening last night on my Stax 009s and Carbon amplifier and it is apparent another aspect is TEXTURE. I think as the last part of digital glaze has been eradicated, probably as the SMPS was so close to the super sensitive digital circuits, it is now very easy to hear texture changes in the music. Before there was a hint of particles or grain to everything. Now that has been removed, parts of the music that have smooth transitions in timbre become very clear, a feature pretty much lost before. Like a super sharp lens looking across a lake, the ripples and graduation are there to see (hear) and they are perfect graduations, not stepped as you often see in dodgy printed leaflets for example.

It might sound left of centre my description, but this small effect has huge implications to the sound. It seems to have taken elements that were glued together and separated them out and gives you the ability to hear then in isolation, even as they all play at the same time. The other fantastic aspect of all this is the treble ranges are cleaner and more liquid but not hard or brittle, just really clean. At first you think, were are the edges, the detail? But it actually contains more detail than before, as those edges before were a false friend. They were infact intermodulation distortion at the edges of the notes, a false detail.

The overall signature in my setting has also gained some body and flesh to the midrange, and a touch of warm overall which is welcome, especially in digital.

In my Audio Note DAC 5 I changed the caps on the line stage in January for Duelund Copper cast which predictably was a big change in signature. I have done that on other DACs and tube amplifiers before, so it was expected. But the LPS mod to the Rednet is as big a change, possibly bigger. It sounds like a new front end TBH. Everything I love about my DAC has been focussed on and improved.

This is a key ingredient IMO to getting a balanced system, and as a free ticket (130USD) to a big gain in sound quality. I would say to get this jump for example, you could easily spend another 10K on top of your exiting DAC. It also tells me anyone running a decent hifi system who doesn't utilise these golden nuggets is missing out.

Many folk IMO are unaware of the importance of power supplies in the entire chain. And that includes starting at the mains supply and working forward to the last component in the chain.
Hifi products are built to a budget, and the oversampling numbers and format wars sell DACs. But it is pitiful how many 'high end' DACs have cheap opp amps and weak power supplies to support their 'high end' digital interfaces. The Rednet is reasonably priced, and is primarily an audio network device for a DAW. I can understand why they fitted a nasty SMPS for cheapness, and WW voltage compliance, and seeing the SPDIF output as a monitoring feature in a studio, not mission critical to networking the audio. If someone produced a Dante box for home audio, it should include a LPS supply as a matter or course.

I have flagged up the Rednet on whatsbestforum.com, but folk over there are more or less closed to the idea, seeing it as an SPDIF convertor and nothing else. Short sighted IMO. The fact many modern DACs sell on the numbers game (sample rate) means they have to use USB, and then we are back to where we started (noise).

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #995 of 1,974
  On the effect of the LPS mod to the Rednet
snip Some intense listening last night on my Stax 009s and Carbon amplifier and it is apparent another aspect is TEXTURE. I think as the last part of digital glaze has been eradicated, probably as the SMPS was so close to the super sensitive digital circuits, it is now very easy to hear texture changes in the music. Before there was a hint of particles or grain to everything. Now that has been removed, parts of the music that have smooth transitions in timbre become very clear, a feature pretty much lost before. Like a super sharp lens looking across a lake, the ripples and graduation are there to see (hear) and they are perfect graduations, not stepped as you often see in dodgy printed leaflets for example.

It might sound left of centre my description, but this small effect has huge implications to the sound. It seems to have taken elements that were glued together and separated them out and gives you the ability to hear then in isolation, even as they all play at the same time. The other fantastic aspect of all this is the treble ranges are cleaner and more liquid but not hard or brittle, just really clean. At first you think, were are the edges, the detail? But it actually contains more detail than before, as those edges before were a false friend. They were infact intermodulation distortion at the edges of the notes, a false detail.

The overall signature in my setting has also gained some body and flesh to the midrange, and a touch of warm overall which is welcome, especially in digital.

In my Audio Note DAC 5 I changed the caps on the line stage in January for Duelund Copper cast which predictably was a big change in signature. I have done that on other DACs and tube amplifiers before, so it was expected. But the LPS mod to the Rednet is as big a change, possibly bigger. It sounds like a new front end TBH. Everything I love about my DAC has been focussed on and improved.

This is a key ingredient IMO to getting a balanced system, and as a free ticket (130USD) to a big gain in sound quality. I would say to get this jump for example, you could easily spend another 10K on top of your exiting DAC. It also tells me anyone running a decent hifi system who doesn't utilise these golden nuggets is missing out.

Many folk IMO are unaware of the importance of power supplies in the entire chain. And that includes starting at the mains supply and working forward to the last component in the chain.
Hifi products are built to a budget, and the oversampling numbers and format wars sell DACs. But it is pitiful how many 'high end' DACs have cheap opp amps and weak power supplies to support their 'high end' digital interfaces. The Rednet is reasonably priced, and is primarily an audio network device for a DAW. I can understand why they fitted a nasty SMPS for cheapness, and WW voltage compliance, and seeing the SPDIF output as a monitoring feature in a studio, not mission critical to networking the audio. If someone produced a Dante box for home audio, it should include a LPS supply as a matter or course.

I have flagged up the Rednet on whatsbestforum.com, but folk over there are more or less closed to the idea, seeing it as an SPDIF convertor and nothing else. Short sighted IMO. The fact many modern DACs sell on the numbers game (sample rate) means they have to use USB, and then we are back to where we started (noise).

Excellent…!

Nice report full of insights which are based upon the results of much fussing and experimentation.
And as I see it, your results are the fruits of hard earned, long term diving down the rabbit hole and NOT getting lost along the way.

And I too noticed the seeming lack of appreciation that this fairly inexpensive mod, can in fact, make.

To us, those sufficiently motivated enough to actually drill holes and solder wires etc, it is simply revelatory.
But there are plenty of others don't seem to be anywhere near as enthused.
Perhaps it’s the skill sets and experience (or lack there of) at performing these sorts of mods.
But then there are some who have performed this mod and weren't all that impressed as well.

Curious isn't it?

JJ

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #996 of 1,974
Has anyone tried the Uptone Ultracap LPS-1 to their LPS converted 3/16 yet? Should work with 5 volt and 1,1 amp max I think.

Tommy

Not I.
But perhaps others who post in this little back alley have tried it and will comment.

And those UltraCaps while nice and all are still quite expensive, and from what I understand the charger is running all the time (or nearly so) anyway.

Which means the PSU is charging a bank of batteries and is contributing it's noise to the ground plane all the while running on the other bank of UltraCaps.

Which in my mind kinda muddies the whole intent of running on this (or any) form of a battery bank, which is, they're primary advantage is supposed to be, that they are free of any such PSU noise sources.

But having not heard one, I can't really say if they truly are a 'better' source of power, SQ wise, or not.

JJ

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #997 of 1,974
System status report.

I have been patently waiting for the SQ to peak and it has danced around and peeked at me from around the corner and is slowly meandering towards what it is capable of,
but,
it still hasn't reached the peak SQ and the metallurgical count up timer is now at 1780hrs thus far.

It's times like these where I start to wonder if I have something setup incorrectly, like a fuse in 'backwards' (been there done that etc.).
These metallurgical experiments sure can take their own sweet time, let me tell ya.

Still the system, temptingly, starts to blossom and the SQ becomes compelling only to slip into a lack of focus in a day or so.

But then I have been starting other count up timers, due to fussing etc, and the latest of these is at 430hrs which has been in the middle of the territory of a TD (toilet dump) in the past.

And I must admit that right now Diane Schuur is sounding mighty nice indeed.

JJ

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #998 of 1,974
JJ
My observation thus far is the LPS on my Rednet may have fully burnt in at 1 week on 24/7. It seems now to be stable. The caps on the LPS and the transformer are quite small items so it may make sense that this will speed up as compared to a big new power amplifier for example with huge capacitance and big mains transformers.

Another point, there is a big difference in source material, which can confuse the issue somewhat. For my tests I tend to stick on 6 tracks I know very well, and use those as a datum point. I am possibly odd but seem to have a way of 'remembering' a sonic signature of those 6 tracks. For example, I listened to them on a BHSE with the Esoteric K-01 well over a year ago, but I can remember how they sounded. Clues are length of decay after a loud section in the music, soundstage width and timbre, especially female vocals and depth and frequency response. These things have progressed beyond that on my current DAC and Carbon amplifier, then again after some cap upgrades on the DAC, tube rolling in the DAC and this week, the LPS mod in the Rednet. It has all been a solid sound quality curve in the right direction i.e. better in all areas.

The texture aspect I spoke about the other day is something I noticed in that progression, but in the Rednet it seems to be very obvious a change. It must be the reduction of hash and general power supply noise polluting the data, bit like taking a photograph with condensation on the lens. Now it is all in focus, tight and clean.

Last point, before I got the PS Audio P10 power regenerator, I used to prefer the sound of my system late at night and into early morning much more than the day time (peak mains usage in the street). After installing the P10 I get 100% consistent sound quality 24 hours a day, actually better than the best times of the day. So I wonder if any variances you pick up (on the same tracks) may be due to this?

Hope this helps

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #999 of 1,974
astrostar59 said:

Last point, before I got the PS Audio P10 power regenerator, I used to prefer the sound of my system late at night and into early morning much more than the day time (peak mains usage in the street). After installing the P10 I get 100% consistent sound quality 24 hours a day, actually better than the best times of the day. So I wonder if any variances you pick up (on the same tracks) may be due to this?

I agree. After a tweak I think that it is pretty hard to compare apples to apples as far as SQ improvements without some kind of AC isolation or regeneration. Otherwise you are at the mercy of your home appliances, your neighbors, and the mains grid. I have a 1000VA isolation transformer now and I find the SQ to be much more consistent for each listening session AND improved in an absolute way.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #1,001 of 1,974
  Not I.
But perhaps others who post in this little back alley have tried it and will comment.

And those UltraCaps while nice and all are still quite expensive, and from what I understand the charger is running all the time (or nearly so) anyway.

Which means the PSU is charging a bank of batteries and is contributing it's noise to the ground plane all the while running on the other bank of UltraCaps.

Which in my mind kinda muddies the whole intent of running on this (or any) form of a battery bank, which is, they're primary advantage is supposed to be, that they are free of any such PSU noise sources.

But having not heard one, I can't really say if they truly are a 'better' source of power, SQ wise, or not.

JJ

Hi JJ:

Sorry, but you are incorrect about the UltraCap LPS-1 with regards to the charging and ground-plane noise.  There are 4 entirely separate ground domains on the LPS-1 board, and the only things that cross them are 10 optical isolators.  The bank that is charging contributes ZERO noise to the ground-plane or output of the bank that is actively supplying the ultra-low-noise output (which is via cascaded regulators).  If it did, then the whole point and complexity of our design would have been for nothing.

And of course we are not using ANY batteries!  
wink_face.gif

Here you can see the ground planes, and in the board photo you can see the 10 white opto-isolators crossing those moats.

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #1,003 of 1,974
  DC jack transplant performed.
I need to redo the crimping, as it seems the connection isn't stable (my DAC's lock LED is blinking, when connected to the RN3).
Either that, or the LPS-1 doesn't have enough juice, but I doubt it.

If you are talking about the crimp on the multi-pin connector. I did a light crimp and left enough bare wire above the connector to flow a bit of solder onto the wire. Makes a stout connection.

BTW. Excellent reversible mod you did there.

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #1,005 of 1,974
Just made an order from Digi-Key. Hopefully the pre-crimped 300 mm cables will fit :). I will use the IEC as Clemmaster did. Hopfully the Q204-ND will fit my Mutec, it will be my next project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back