The DIY'rs Cookbook
Jul 26, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #646 of 1,974
One small thing I did more to fix a tripping issue was clean up and re screw the terminal wires on the ring.
Not the same as a dedicated line to the fuse board. . But it helped....
Just tell the wife so she doesn't turn it back on when your are sanding wires....and terminal blocks ..

One of the 'tricks' in tweaking the power distribution in any house is to check ALL of the breakers for tightness of the wire clamp screw.
And while doing so pull the wire out and check for 'damage' (darkened due to heat, or corrosion etc.).

This should ONLY be done IF you KNOW what you are doing, since you are working with live circuits which can do BAD things if not done safely.

And a procedure that is recommended by electricians is to trip each breaker and reset it on a yearly basis.
This also applies to the main breakers that feed the entire panel.

This of course will kill all the power for that panel (the whole house etc.) so clocks and always on loads will need to be reset.
Also it’s a good idea to power down all electrical loads (computers, TV's etc.) before tripping any of the breakers.

JJ

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #647 of 1,974
Yes of course a safety first safety last...mine was a corroded junction into an extension.
I had a friend check my work with his tester..
Major work a certified electrical contractor. I just don't know where to run a line yet so I can't tell my electrican...

Sorry for not mentioning the obvious safety implications...

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #648 of 1,974
  How do you fix 'poor' wiring in a random house? I'm curious how one goes about setting the dedicated runs to power audio equipment, as right now I'm not quite sure how it would go...

There are a great many variables involved in answering these questions and a fair amount of experience needed in order to actually fix 'poor' wiring.

In my house 'fixing' the P&P wiring really isn't an option, at least not unless I want to rewire particular (or all of the) branch circuits.  This usually involves an electrician and $$$$.

But if you have sufficient hands on experience, adding another branch circuit usually isn't a big deal, provided there is sufficient access, everywhere.

In my case I just ran a piece of romex from my main panel to the location where I needed it.
And later I extended it to my current location and then re-terminated it.

In more complex living situations (apartments, etc.) where sufficient access is not readily available or where there are other factors (domesticity comes into play) then it becomes more complex, and costly.

But there are a few tricks that can be applied even if a re-wire job is unlikely.
One is to make sure that ALL of the splice points in the branch circuit being used for powering the audio system are in good shape and are 'healthy'.
This means mapping out all of the duplex receptacles that are on the same branch circuit, and making sure they are not damaged, worn out and have the screws tightly clamping the wires.
In some cases moving the audio system closer to the main panel will greatly help as will be seen in the next few posts dealing with my ASCC findings.

But generally just making sure the electrical service for the entire house, and especially the branch circuit used for the audio system is 'up to snuff' will yield beneficial results.

And I even went as far as soldering the romex wires together at my 1st Splice (more info in the next ASCC post) for the extension of my dedicated branch circuit that feeds my audio system.
This may seem a little 'out there' but the results were definitely 'Better' as the SQ took yet another step up.

Like I indicated, an answer is very much situationally dependent and based upon how much of a 'need' there is to improve the electrical service that feeds our audio systems.

JJ

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #649 of 1,974
Yes of course a safety first safety last...mine was a corroded junction into an extension.
I had a friend check my work with his tester..
Major work a certified electrical contractor. I just don't know where to run a line yet so I can't tell my electrican...

Sorry for not mentioning the obvious safety implications...

Oh and for fuse panels (instead of breaker panels) if ANY of the panel runs warm or hot then it is a point of 'high' resistance and will act as a CP and will limit the ability to dump current in large(r) amounts.
In some cases this can lead to house fires where the heat builds up enough to combust the surrounding materials (definitely NOT a good thing).

I prefer to use Scotch Brite instead of sand paper to clean up the threads of both the fuses and their respective sockets, and use contact enhancer ProGold etc.

And if the mating surfaces are really bad (corroded or have turned dark due to heating) replace these 'worn out' components.

In some cases you can even measure where the voltage sag is reduced and sometimes by significant amounts, by cleaning up the mating surfaces, or re-terminating the wires where that are clamped down.

JJ

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #651 of 1,974
I was listening to the Grand Canyon suite, the Telarc version with 'REAL' claps of thunder and lightning strikes. 
atsmile.gif

And all I could do was to break out in laughter, especially when the lightning strike was, oh say 100 (or less) yds away, and then when the reverberations took over…

MOST impressive, I must say.

There was no, even hint, of system breakup or clipping or strain as the impact hit and then as the acoustic energy spread out and away.

This is a first for this level of ease of delivering such dynamics and acoustic power, at least for me.
And like I mentioned earlier, cannon shots, muskets, shotguns, any and all manner of explosive percussive acoustic energy reconstructions are simply effortless.

And I figure an analog system (a rock in a groove) would have some difficulty with this degree of a 'change of state' involving such dynamic, fast, high energy, low frequency, signal without some form of mistracking, overload, or something…

And certainly it would be way more $$$$$$+

Yeah I'm digg'n this RN-3 and what it's bring'n to the Parhté… 
atsmile.gif

JJ
ps right now 3-4 star tracks are kick'n… 
atsmile.gif

Jul 29, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #652 of 1,974
What and how do we know what IS ‘Better’?
or
It’s all in our heads, or is it?

Part 23-C             ASCC test results, Whooa A Change Up

The next ‘location’ we’ll look at shows the test results of my dedicated ‘extension cord’ that feeds my computer and its peripherals.
This cable is made up from a heavy duty stranded 14gauge wire, industrial rubber jacketed power cord that I re-purposed as a separate branch circuit.

It’s approximately 30-40’ long with 2) standard (aka contractor grade) duplex receptacles in a 4 square box.
It ain’t pretty but it gets the job done.
And it measures much better than the post and pillar wired, in wall receptacles.

#2 ExCompCbl+.jpg

The aspects of interest and significance are that everything has improved by a factor of ≈ 2 (or better).
The Voltage Drop % numbers are roughly 1/2 of the numbers from the bathroom CGFI (which are the best set of numbers from test #1).

And this applies to the ASCC numbers where now we’re seeing 0.73 KAmps (730 amps), up from 420amps.

What doesn’t make much sense is how the Ω readings are jumping around, but that may be due to he fact that the computer was running while taking these readings.
But even so they are significantly reduced from the previous set of data.

It’s also interesting that the only voltage drop that exceeds 5%, (poor performance) is the AppCord trying to pull a 20amp load.
So here is that Change Up I mentioned above.  It’s the 3rd location that I took readings from.
It, as you can see, shows a large jump in all measured results.
And I’d be using this source to power my system, except it is 15’ away from where my gear sits…
But I’m saving those results for last which are coming up next in Part 23-D.

This next set of data is taken at the ‘location’ I call the 1st splice.
This run of romex is the 1st leg of the dedicated run that feeds my audio system.
The run is ≈ 20’ long and is a more or less straight shot from the circuit breaker panel.
And at this location I have added another ≈15’ of romex to reach the end of this branch circuit where my audio system is plugged in.

This 1st splice location has a tweako Hubbell duplex receptacle that has been cryo treated and cooked, which probably helps this location attain such high ASCC numbers

#3 Ex1st Splice+.jpg

See that Ref cable ASCC number of 2.5KAmps (2,500 amps)?
And how the Marigo cable has a 1920 amp ASCC test result?

These current dump readings of 2000 amps is on a separate branch circuit with a 20amp circuit breaker, just like all the other locations have.

And see how even the AppCord is now measuring at ≈ 1000 amps?
All because of a direct, short, dedicated branch circuit being fed by hardware store ‘Box of Wire’ romex 12/2 w/grnd instead of 14 gauge ‘extension cable’ or very old post and pillar house wiring.

It’s also note worthy to point out that a 3 wire dead short tells us that the Line (hot) wire which is supplying all of the current, while the Neutral and Ground wires provide the return path, is capable of dumping over 2.5K Amps, under ‘idea’ conditions, for a very short amount of time.

JJ

End Part 23-C           

Next up         Part 23-D   Now Were Talk’n…

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #653 of 1,974
  The PS-III is designed for 32-300 ohms. It sounds very special with the Bifrost MB and HD650, with an Electro-Harmonix 12BH7. Not bad for a budget system that plays in a much higher league than the modest investment would suggest.

Now that the Modi MB is out, and some compare it favorably with (i.e. not ludicrously behind) Yggdrasil, does this have any implications for the budget-minded Synergy System? This would allow swapping the most expensive component in that system (Bifrost MB) for something more in line with the other components...

Aug 2, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #654 of 1,974
So today I finished modding my RN3 and buttoned it all back up, and of course re-started he break-in clock all over again.

So I added WAQy chips to the fuse and power transformer in the power supply.
And added silver goo to the fuse holder and the ac input connector to the power supply board, and the power cable IEC connector pins and lastly the AES breakout cable pins.

This should be enough to last for a while, well, until the next round of RN3 mods rises to the top of the list of, 'gotta find out - stuff to do'.

But thus far the results are that even more CP's have been yanked out of the system, again.

The Beatles White album is especially revealing…
atsmile.gif

JJ

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #655 of 1,974
  So today I finished modding my RN3 and buttoned it all back up, and of course re-started he break-in clock all over again.

So I added WAQy chips to the fuse and power transformer in the power supply.
And added silver goo to the fuse holder and the ac input connector to the power supply board, and the power cable IEC connector pins and lastly the AES breakout cable pins.

This should be enough to last for a while, well, until the next round of RN3 mods rises to the top of the list of, 'gotta find out - stuff to do'.

But thus far the results are that even more CP's have been yanked out of the system, again.

The Beatles White album is especially revealing…
atsmile.gif

JJ

I was going to ask, in the other thread, what you'd done to your RN3.

Now I know!

I shall have to find a convincing way to persuade you to bring that over to my place to compare back-to-back with my stock RN3, once I have it installed (it is, at least, un-boxed now).  Jessye Norman an nicely aged McCallan perhaps.  And we should try and do that before Bill escapes from WA.

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #656 of 1,974
If you have the option do the same to any internal connections.. Clean..Remove oxide..clean.. Silver gunk very fine amount.. IMHO..Clean is clean new isn't clean..those breakable connections inside are pulled out of a bag and put in for wave soldering..
The cleaner removes flux only... Not oil ..silicone release agent..Oxide.
The worse the electrical connection the better the result.. A cheap and easy fix but be careful with liquid solder or silver gunk as we know it...
JJ made me realise small changes do add up...
Good luck
Dave

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #657 of 1,974
:thumb
:thumb

JJ

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #658 of 1,974
What and how do we know what IS ‘Better’?
or
It’s all in our heads, or is it?

Part 23-D             ASCC test results, Now Were Talk’n…

So this is the last data set, but it contains all of the cables I used during testing, as such the playing field is fully populated and these results reflect the electrical environment my audio system is operating within, because none of the other Locations are useable for my audio system so this one got the full meal deal treatment.

Note, this dedicated audio run has been ‘tweaked’, not by super-zoopy wire but with Shunyata and Synergistic Research duplex receptacles, and WA-Q cable chips have been wrapped around the romex cable in 2 places.

Plus I’ve added WA-Q fuse chips to the individual wires (hot, neutral and ground) of the romex cable in the panel for this branch circuit.
Also I’ve added WA-Q cable chips to the 2 main power feed wires, that run from the pole outside, then connect up to the main breakers for the entire service to my house, along with one on the neutral feeder wire as well.

So it has some enhancements, which were kept because they contributed to SQ improvements, they made things ‘Better

And so now we get the full panoply of cables that I tested.
I had 8 power cables available to me to test, and they range from;
#1 (AppCord) The ‘standard appliance cord’ which is ‘good enough’…

#2 (Marigo) An old Marigo RMX Reference Ultra. An audiophool cable from the 90’s ($$$).

#3 (G-1) A ‘stock’ Bottlehead power cable, made from their kit.

#4 (G-1-rfi) A ‘stock’ Bottlehead power cable, with an RFI filter (a ferrite donut on the cable).

#5 (G-4-g) A ‘hot-rodded’ Bottlehead power cable, made with better materials and gold plated connectors.

#6 (G-4-r) A ‘hot-rodded’ Bottlehead power cable, made with better materials and rhodium plated connectors.  It should also be noted that this cable remains a ‘reference’ cable to judge performance and I also still use it when I am cooking the other cables.

#7 (A-D) Shunyata Alpha-Digital power cable with many, many, thousands of hours that has been cooked, repeatedly.

#8 (Python) Shunyata Python power cable with many, many, thousands of hours that has been cooked, repeatedly.

Ref Cable  (Stubby)  The same Ref Cable used in all tests.

As you can see, the cables run the gamut from $1.49 (AppCord) to multi thousands of $$$$ (Python) with several low cost cables in the middle.

And I’ll describe the G-1 and G-4 cables in a little more detail, just because.
G-1 cables, both with and w/o the rfi choke (ferrite donut), are stock Bottlehead kits, which is to say, not all copper wire with ‘inexpensive’ connectors at each end.  These cables are ≈ 13awg.

The G-4 hot-rodded versions come in 2 flavors, with either gold or rhodium plated connectors. They use the same build design but have also been cryo treated and cooked on my industrial strength Audiodharma Cable Cooker. These cables use UL listed TFFN electricians all copper stranded 16awg ‘hook up’ wire. And since the ‘design’ uses 2 pieces of wire for each conductor, the effective rating is ≈ 13awg. And I opted for the cheap Chinese knockoff connectors, which cost ≈ $25/pair.

Which makes the total cost of materials for the G-4 series of cables I made as roughly $45/cable plus the cryo-treatment (≈$25) and cooking costs (≈ $15) for ≈ $85/cable.

The ‘best’ of my DIY cables, the G-4-r, is still a reference cable in some regards, and was certainly the standard by which I compared the next cables on this list.

Which then brings us to the Shunyata Python and Alpha-Digital (A-D) cables. These are cables of 9awg and 10awg respectively, which were already cryo treated by Shunyata as a normal part of their manufacturing process. And I did cook both of these as well, in fact I wouldn’t have purchased them if I hadn’t.
They just didn’t deliver the same bass impact as my G-4-r cable in the extreme bottom end, without being cooked.

The Marigo RMX Reference ‘Ultra’ is an old cable a friend gave me years ago. I haven’t used it in any system for quite a while, mostly because it never seemed to make any difference. But I’m glad I hung on to it, if for no other reason than to use it in these tests.
So there you have the line up.

#4 ExAudioRun+.jpg

And as a quick examination of the data, pay attention to the AppCord with ≈ 3x the current dump capability.
And that while we don’t see 2500Amp capability we do see  all of the cables starting from the  G-4 series and moving left as able to dump 1000Amps, which again is 3x more current than the ‘household’ GFCI duplex receptacle.

And observe the trend of the ‘spread’ of the Voltage drop %’s as the cables move from #3 to the left (G-1 thru to Stubby) for each of the 3 different current tests (12a - 15a - 20a).

In the next (and last) part of this sub-series I’ll examine the ‘big picture’, the trends I see, and conclusions that I have made.
Of course I could read much more into the data and perform some math based analysis but that really isn’t important.
Why?
Because current dump capability alone is not the only factor that is relevant nor is it necessarily the most important.
BUT it does have a direct influence upon our playback systems ESPECIALLY when it acts as a major CP in and of itself.

IOW ASCC results are just a convenient means of testing for a related influence in the overall operation of our systems.
But it, in and of itself, isn’t the only aspect to pay attention to.
Indeed the test parameters of the ASCC test itself is based upon being able to dump current for a Short Duration.

And I haven’t forgotten about explaining the need for the ability to dump current for a short duration and why and how this time function (Very Short Duration) aspect of all of this is not just relevant but is directly tied into how our gear actually operates.

JJ

End Part 23-D              

Next up         Part 24-E   My take away of all of this data…

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #659 of 1,974
RN3 progress report.

@ ≈100hrs since the last major mod was made and the SQ is rising and already I'm hearing more and more gud stuff.

I heard the air handling system kick in during a quiet passage of a Grieg piano concerto and immediately identified it for what it was.
And during this settling time, to step up so early, is an especially good sign.

And on a different topic…
So is anyone seeing anything 'useful' in the data I've presented thus far?

Just curious is all.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back