The DIY'rs Cookbook
Jun 6, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #481 of 1,974
The DVS or Dante Virtual Soundcard only communicates with Dante equipped devices. It is a proprietary system.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #482 of 1,974

This was the USB to SPDIF converter that I was previously using in my rig during the Bottlehead and Portland meet and learned about it's existence reading that XMOS thread. Been following that thread ever since the day he created it.

Yeah they certainly seem to be really diving into the deep end on this usb based ddc.

But that this ethernet signal path eclipses it, is telling on the one hand, and that it seems as though multiple devices make a difference, no matter what transfer methodology (usb, ethernet, and even spdif?) is being used is also telling as well.

With the exception of perhaps AES/EBU, which was designed to handle digital signals in 'rough' conditions (ie noisy and non-ideal environments) I can see where the marriage of these 2 or 3 (ether => aes/spdif) could, if not 'fix' these sources of noise contamination, they (it would seem) are able to take this situation to a whole new level of performance.

Ah yes, once again we are staring at the Bleeding Edge…
atsmile.gif

JJ

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #483 of 1,974
  The DVS or Dante Virtual Soundcard only communicates with Dante equipped devices. It is a proprietary system.

Well that explains that and it saves me a phone call as well…
atsmile.gif

Thanks    JJ

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #484 of 1,974
I've been using Ethernet based streamers/interfaces for a while now (I got my first HiFi-centric one in 2008, a prior model Linn Akurate DS), and they definitely have an advantage over direct computer connections.

The Linn units are rather expensive (those with digital ouputs start at $3,000 and get up to the $10,000 range very quickly), especially if you only use them as an Ethernet interface.  They're also somewhat limited in how you can feed them audio (typically either a direct TIDAL link or via a DLNA/UPnP/OpenHome server).

I really wanted something with more sourcing-flexibility, ideally that can act as a Roon endpoint, though there would definitely be value in having something that could be driven as a virtual sound card so that ANY player software could be used.  

Then I started looking at other streaming options (Bryston, Sonore, Auralic and so on).  The Auralic Aries, so far, results in the best sound (even compared to the bigger Linn units) ... and I found that the best way to employ it, in my rig, is to drive it via WiFi and feed my Yggdrasil via AES/EBU XLR (so the only cables involved are from it's very-low-noise linear PSU and the digital cable to the DAC).

The Sonore SonicOrbiterSE also works extremely well and is $300 all-in ($350 if you want an ultra low-noise linear PSU).  I don't care for the USB output from this device (or, so far, ANY USB output on any device), but via optical it works a treat.

The Bryston didn't match the Auralic on quality and is double the price for reasons I can't fathom beyond the badge.

I have a Sonore MicroRendu on order to try as a "this is the last time I'm bothering with USB" unit and to compare with the SonicOrbiterSE, but honestly I'm inclined to stick with something that has either an AES or an optical output.

USB has been a bust for me ... no matter what combination of devices and cables I've tried, which now includes the Jitterbug, Wyrd, Regen, Recovery and a Mutec MC3+ (oh, and an Intona Isolator and an iFI Purifier), none of the USB-based interfaces have sounded as good as a simple $100 glass optical cable off a decent TOSLINK source in my rigs (headphone and speakers) and to my ears.  And the Aries/AES connection even manages to better that.

On the RedNet devices, those would be really nice (I've used similar things in my music production) but appear to have a limit of 96 KHz unless used with their dedicated PCIe Ethernet card (a non-starter as a current Mac Pro user).  While most of my music is standard Redbook stuff, I wouldn't want to lose the high-resolution capability that I've built the rest of the system around, so I'm going to have to check into that in more detail when I get back from my trip (i.e. order one and try it out).

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #485 of 1,974
The RedNets are capable upto 192khz but if you are also looking for DSD support, this does not do it.
I only mostly have 16/44.1 wav and only a few 24/192 wav in my music library and the RedNEt 3 can handle 192khz no problem.
You just have to set it up in the Dante control interface. I'm also not using their dedicated PCI-e card (that's like $1000). Just use the Dante Virtual Soundcard and any player that supports asio should work. I am using JRiver and it works without any issues. Full functionality of JRiver is intact.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #486 of 1,974
  The RedNets are capable upto 192khz but if you are also looking for DSD support, this does not do it.
I only mostly have 16/44.1 wav and only a few 24/192 wav in my music library and the RedNEt 3 can handle 192khz no problem.
You just have to set it up in the Dante control interface. I'm also not using their dedicated PCI-e card (that's like $1000). Just use the Dante Virtual Soundcard and any player that supports asio should work. I am using JRiver and it works without any issues. Full functionality of JRiver is intact.

That's good to know!

It must be some limit with multiple channels being driven then, since it's in the specs somewhere (can't find where I saw it now).

Not worried about DSD at this point - or probably ever.  It's yet to show any truly tangible benefit in my testing over PCM even against just basic Redbook stuff.

Looks like Audinate has proper OS X support, so that's all good.  Guess I'll order one up once I get back from my trip and see how it compares with the Auralic and Linn interfaces.  What will be nice, regardless, is that since it'll take the output of any player on OS X, it'll work fine off my Music Server and Roon!

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #487 of 1,974
  Does anyone within the reach of this post know him?
Or should I just reach out?

JJ

No one is willing to claim they know rb2013?

Alrighty then…
atsmile.gif

JJ

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #488 of 1,974
I have not met him personally but have communicated with him thru PM. In particular, after I posted my findings with the RedNet 3 on his thread.

I believe Andrew had a face to face with him.

Jun 8, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #489 of 1,974
I don't think anyone knows him on a personal level here but he's a cool cat wear a suit business type (who really likes audio and gear that goes with it). I'll be meeting him tomorrow again to buy speakers
I've met him to pass some gear along and had a convo for a bit but that's about it. He's a cool person and really knowledgeable, from what I gather he's more a speaker guy.

Also this:
Definitely my fault for not reading the dimensions but at 17x10x4", I was definitely not expecting a receiver-sized unit. Jeezus I need to make some room!

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #490 of 1,974
Lots/most 'pro gear' is designed for rack mount which is 19" wide and multiples/whole fractions of 7" tall.

So since you'll be seeing him in person do you want to extend the invitation to our secret meet?
We can pass on the particulars once they are figured out.

JJ

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #492 of 1,974
:thumb
:thumb

JJ

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #493 of 1,974
Finally got it working thanks to @Muziqboy's patience and helping me set it up and troubleshoot. I'll just say this for initial impression, whoever implemented the usb transport/connection for audio set the audio world back by however long it's been since they were implemented. (Read:should be shot).

The SQ jump is not subtle, even with just active speakers at the moment (Fostex PM0.4d)  I want to say the difference between the Rednet 3 and the stock USB on this Matrix mini-i (super mid-fi dac) is the same proportions as upgrading from a Schiit Bifrost MB to a Yggy. Which begs the question, what does this sound like with a Yggy or similar quality DAC and say an HD800? The Digital audio world is in for a treat guys, can't wait for you guys to hear this stuff.

Definitely my fault for not reading the dimensions but at 17x10x4", I was definitely not expecting a receiver-sized unit. Jeezus I need to make some room!

Yes it's a Big, Beautiful Red Box of musical joy.

It kinda reminds me of a Ferrari

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #494 of 1,974
So you're using just the RN3 box and no other added converters?
And are you using the SPDIF connection?

This has mind blowing written all over it.
Now we just need to drop the price and get the EDAC (ethernet digital audio converter) tweaked for even more fun…
atsmile.gif

JJ

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #495 of 1,974
Finally got it working thanks to [@=/u/430029/Muziqboy]@Muziqboy[/@]'s patience and helping me set it up and troubleshoot. I'll just say this for initial impression, whoever implemented the usb transport/connection for audio set the audio world back by however long it's been since they were implemented. (Read:should be shot).

The SQ jump is not subtle, even with just active speakers at the moment (Fostex PM0.4d)  I want to say the difference between the Rednet 3 and the stock USB on this Matrix mini-i (super mid-fi dac) is the same proportions as upgrading from a Schiit Bifrost MB to a Yggy. Which begs the question, what does this sound like with a Yggy or similar quality DAC and say an HD800? The Digital audio world is in for a treat guys, can't wait for you guys to here this stuff.

USB ain't got nothin' on AOIP!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back