THE DIY HEADPHONE STAND THREAD
Nov 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #2,476 of 3,874
haha oh regarding the klutz stand, I wasn't suggesting anyone buy it, it's priced astronomically high I was hoping it would inspire someone to make a DIY "inspired by" design and maybe they could publish the techniques :p

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2,477 of 3,874
  haha oh regarding the klutz stand, I wasn't suggesting anyone buy it, it's priced astronomically high I was hoping it would inspire someone to make a DIY "inspired by" design and maybe they could publish the techniques :p

Making that stand isn't that hard.  Its just a lot of work.  you would need a bunch of wood and cut it out to the shape of the klutz stand and blue them all together.  From there you would need to also create the base.  The base could be wood(which is easier) or metal(which you would have to buy or have someone fabricate for you)  and create a round base.  Screw the top and bottom pieces together and then put on finish.  Hope this helps you out.  Its very doable but it will be a lot of work.  

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #2,478 of 3,874
Making that stand isn't that hard.  Its just a lot of work.  you would need a bunch of wood and cut it out to the shape of the klutz stand and blue them all together.  From there you would need to also create the base.  The base could be wood(which is easier) or metal(which you would have to buy or have someone fabricate for you)  and create a round base.  Screw the top and bottom pieces together and then put on finish.  Hope this helps you out.  Its very doable but it will be a lot of work.  

Oh boy do you simplify this project. You take the carpentry out of wood-working and make it sound like glue and a few scattered pieces of wood are all that's needed. It's nowhere near doable without precise tools. At the very least you would need a jigsaw, coping saw or band saw for the irregularity of the shape . A table saw or mitre saw for the initial lumber cuts, a hole saw with a powerful drill to turn it for the base work. A $400 piece would not use screws so you would need to know about mortise and tenons, biscuit joints or pocket holes (least attractive option). This not to mention the need of a router with specific bits for the cove-like shape leading into the base. There is plenty of work there and it's not an novice project.

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #2,479 of 3,874
Oh boy do you simplify this project. You take the carpentry out of wood-working and make it sound like glue and a few scattered pieces of wood are all that's needed. It's nowhere near doable without precise tools. At the very least you would need a jigsaw, coping saw or band saw for the irregularity of the shape . A table saw or mitre saw for the initial lumber cuts, a hole saw with a powerful drill to turn it for the base work. A $400 piece would not use screws so you would need to know about mortise and tenons, biscuit joints or pocket holes (least attractive option). This not to mention the need of a router with specific bits for the cove-like shape leading into the base. There is plenty of work there and it's not an novice project.

Ya I did oversimplify a bit but that was inferring that the certain individual would have the tools to make the project.  I have found that in many cases it is harder to come across the proper tools rather than do the work.  Especially to those of us who live in apartments and don't have room to store certain tools.  Anyway the point I was trying to make was that this project is very doable it just requires the proper tools.  Also a lot of patience and a bit of skill with wood.  

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #2,481 of 3,874
  Made another janky hook hanger

I think that looks great actually! I've thought about doing something similar myself but my major problem is my Head-fi station is in the basement as I like to listen to my music in peace, and of course the basement walls are made of brick. I guess I could use a power drill to secure them to the wall. But I actually like the look of that, put 4 or 5 headphones in line across the wall on hangers like the one you're using would actually look really nice I think. I haven't been able to find a decent hook like that, would you mind telling me what store carries that hanger?

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #2,485 of 3,874
  I just used a HifiMAN headband for my custom wood Fostex T50RPs. 

Very nice looking, but what is that other metal thing that also seems to push down on the top of the ePads :O 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #2,487 of 3,874
  It's part of the coathanger I used to rest the headphones on. The phones rest on the upper part, the lower part can be used for the cable

Meh true enough. Looks nice though! I like the grain on the wood 

Nov 30, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #2,488 of 3,874
I just used a HifiMAN headband for my custom wood Fostex T50RPs. 

Smart and creative!

I was thinking, what did this guy do to his headphones..

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #2,489 of 3,874
Wow, there is a lot of creativity, ingenuity and workmanship on display in this thread - a total blast to look through here!  

Last weekend I went into a headphone specialty shop in Shibuya here in Tokyo, and all around the store they had about a hundred of these really cool, kind of industrial-art stainless steel headphone stands for their display headphones.  I said to the owner that he HAD to either sell me one or tell me the name of the company that made them.  He just leaned close to me and whispered, in English, `banana hanger`.  

Nov 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #2,490 of 3,874
Wow, there is a lot of creativity, ingenuity and workmanship on display in this thread - a total blast to look through here!  

Last weekend I went into a headphone specialty shop in Shibuya here in Tokyo, and all around the store they had about a hundred of these really cool, kind of industrial-art stainless steel headphone stands for their display headphones.  I said to the owner that he HAD to either sell me one or tell me the name of the company that made them.  He just leaned close to me and whispered, in English, `banana hanger`.  

The power of banana hanger is tooooooo high here xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back