The discovery thread!
Jan 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #5,973 of 103,997
Quote:
Oh! Whoops! I thought WAYNENUMM was talking about the Efi-82 MT. Guess not. My bad.

Still a great deal for an ELE.

he was! 
tongue.gif
 my bad. sorry. for some reason i had the ELE in my head 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #5,976 of 103,997
With the ELE DAC, is an amp required or even recommended with iems and cans? I thought i remember reading it wasnt but i wanted to be sure. 

Laptop > ELE > iem\cans

Laptop > ELE > amp > iem\can

Also has anyone tried using the ELE with a tablet such as the note 10.1 or ipad mini? 

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #5,978 of 103,997
Quote:
With the ELE DAC, is an amp required or even recommended with iems and cans? I thought i remember reading it wasnt but i wanted to be sure. 

Laptop > ELE > iem\cans

Laptop > ELE > amp > iem\can

I got the ELE DAC a few days ago. And I have the Fiio E11.

It really depends on what you are looking for out of the amp. If you use an amp to essentially increase power/volume to your headphones, then the ELE DAC does that to a certain extent. For example, my Uptowns required 100% power out of my laptop to get reasonably loud. But with the ELE DAC, the same loudness is achieved at about 60% (100% is too loud). The ELE DAC also just seems to produce a really nice, full, clear, detailed sound.

But, if you are wanting to increase the bass for example, the ELE DAC doesn't really do that. So, I could attach my E11 (with EQ2 setting) to provide more bass. Or, I can just use the equalizer in my PC's music player program (currently trying out foobar2000 and liking it).

Edit: I should point out that I love my S500's and Uptowns with no EQ'ing when attached to the ELE DAC.

Jan 13, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #5,979 of 103,997
Quote:

It really depends on what you are looking for out of the amp. If you use an amp to essentially increase power/volume to your headphones, then the ELE DAC does that to a certain extent. For example, my Uptowns required 100% power out of my laptop to get reasonably loud. But with the ELE DAC, the same loudness is achieved at about 60% (100% is too loud). The ELE DAC also just seems to produce a really nice, full, clear, detailed sound.

But, if you are wanting to increase the bass for example, the ELE DAC doesn't really do that. So, I could attach my E11 (with EQ2 setting) to provide more bass. Or, I can just use the equalizer in my PC's music player program (currently trying out foobar2000 and liking it).

Edit: I should point out that I love my S500's and Uptowns with no EQ'ing when attached to the ELE DAC.

Oh forgot to ask you WAYNE did you win the ELE L/R Channel Sweepstakes??? Or were you too immersed in audio nirvana to even care. LoL  

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #5,980 of 103,997
Quote:

I don't typically listen to anything very loud. I think i have a lower comfortable listening level then most. With that said if the only thing an amp will add is volume then i don't feel any need to invest in one at this time.

I have been doing some A\B\C-ing between my 3 sources. Laptop with realtek audio, HTC Evo 4G, Desktop with Creative X-fi sound card (cirrus logic 4382 DAC) 
of the 3 i can say the X-fi sounds the best as one would expect.  I'm confident that the ELE will be an improvement for my laptop but im wondering if it will be better then my X-fi soundcard. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #5,981 of 103,997
In the dac only scenario, most ppl would get an amp and use it as volume control. I'm not well versed in the subject but I caught bits of conversations about lowering the volume in Windows will lower the dynamic range of the source when the dac is 16 bit and source is 16bit. You can lower the volume in Windows without loss of quality if the dac is 24 bit and source is 16. . I've been hanging out in the modi/magni threads. :D

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #5,983 of 103,997
Quote:
Audio-Technica ATH-CKN50 Code:
Code:
 Balance (FR) Deep Bass |---|---|---■---|---|---| Mids / Highs Soundstage Deep |---|---|---■---|---|---| Wide Presentation Powerful |---|---|---■---|---|---| Delicate Rock ★★★★ Jazz ★★★★☆ Classical ★★★★ Club ★★★★

(In the rankings above, I'm using "☆" to denote a "half star")

Don't shoot me if there are any mistakes!
tongue.gif

Thanks for making me the happiest man alive !
biggrin.gif
   ....if you ever got an itch you couldn't scratch then you'll understand what I went thru looking at those Japanese reviews.

Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you ! Thank you !

Quote:
By the way, if anybody's interested in more reviews / rankings, the following digital book seems to have much of the same content as Ghostfit's magazine. Reviews similar to the ones he posted start on page 96.

プレミアムヘッドホンガイド 2013 WINTER :: ActiBook

Actually, that link you provided IS the digital copy of the hardcopy in my hands.   thanks for sharing !!!!

All bros here should download it understand what true poisoning is !!!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #5,984 of 103,997
Quote:
Speaking of. This is the first time I tried my Ele with my AD900X. Excellent!

Yup, they sounds great with the Ele but with the SMSL Fort, they are at least a level up !
L3000.gif

The Fort gives them just the right amount of warm that all the notes just  becomes fuller and smoother.
Going back to the Ele, they sounded a touch too cold for me but then they're $17 compared to $47.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back