The discovery thread!
May 19, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #102,166 of 104,208
As I told @activatorfly, due to the excellent/above average (4/5) natural timbre and top end resolution of the CCA Polaris, I'm finding them absolutely engaging and amazing for jazz, instrumental, and swing. It really gets me emotionally involved in the music. Still feeling my way around other genres with mixed results, but nothing terrible, just mixed.
So I got the AS24 and the ZS10 PRO 2, and then the Airpods PRO 2 for my upcoming flight, and thought I was done. Tried and loved them, and keeping them. But nope, not done!! Because of this thread, [the ol' shifting the blame game HAHA] I then proceeded to order the D-fi, ZVX, and TRN Conch to have a showdown of the best cheap single DD... then ordered the Trio because it was super cheap, then ordered the Tangzu Xuan Nv because it's the most heavenly-looking IEM I've seen... [probably gifting it to a friend, but if I like it, I'll buy one for myself as well!] and now I ordered the POLARIS haha to add to my single DD showdown.

So far, of that list, only the $5 D-fi has arrived and I love the sound and build quality although I personally would like more treble airiness.

May 19, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #102,167 of 104,208
AB tests really started to scary me after I realized that ears/brain adjustment to B after A, and to A after B can take more than 15 minutes, so fast flipping does not remove previous bias (imprint, hysteresis) and may be very limited
Final Audio recommends spending a few days to get over the expectation of the old sound.

I think AB is helpful to exaggerate the difference. Case and point: pilgrim sounds downright mid- to low-res when AB against Anni 2023. Leave them alone a bit and come back, pilgrim sounds high res again just like Anni. I try to write impressions based on long term effect and rating (comparison against benchmarks) by AB.

May 19, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #102,168 of 104,208
slightly more bass in the EM10, while the mids are just a tad more forward in the Supermix, with similar treble extension, with air still up for grabs?

Now where will these babies be priced?

May 19, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #102,170 of 104,208
slightly more bass in the EM10, while the mids are just a tad more forward in the Supermix, with similar treble extension, with air still up for grabs?

Now where will these babies be priced?
Supermix will apparently be $150ish

May 19, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #102,171 of 104,208
So I got the AS24 and the ZS10 PRO 2, and then the Airpods PRO 2 for my upcoming flight, and thought I was done. Tried and loved them, and keeping them. But nope, not done!! Because of this thread, [the ol' shifting the blame game HAHA] I then proceeded to order the D-fi, ZVX, and TRN Conch to have a showdown of the best cheap single DD... then ordered the Trio because it was super cheap, then ordered the Tangzu Xuan Nv because it's the most heavenly-looking IEM I've seen... [probably gifting it to a friend, but if I like it, I'll buy one for myself as well!] and now I ordered the POLARIS haha to add to my single DD showdown.

So far, of that list, only the $5 D-fi has arrived and I love the sound and build quality although I personally would like more treble airiness.
Well, the Polaris won't let you down in airiness, as they are quite airy, with excellent natural timbre and above average resolution for a dirt cheap IEM. Now I'll let you figure out if you enjoy the mids and bass, as that's always so variable to the person.

May 19, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #102,172 of 104,208
May 19, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #102,173 of 104,208
It's still hard to believe the Delci are priced as low as they are considering the sound and build quality. If these were $100-$125 I bet they would have got more recognition from the masses but because they're in that ~$50-60 range they get overlooked in favour of IEMs priced 2-3 times more.
They really are terrific. Unfortunately they remind me a lot of the Himalaya's which I also just got, but honestly I think the Delci's would be my default recommendation under 100$ these days for anyone.

May 19, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #102,174 of 104,208
Man actually talked to @ToneDeafMonk as well as he also has one, he also confirmed me that in Turbo mode device basically provides hardly 1:30 hour of battery. So why even call this a transportable source? wasted almost a 850$ on this(including ROHM DAC). Now crying myself to sleep. I would have made a kicking desktop setup with this much money if i wanted a device which always need power lol.

In Eco mode it does provide more than 5 hours but the current output in Normal and Turbo mode provide better dynamics in the output, so :/ I am just sad now, gonna have 2-3 beers.
Hold on. Which transducers are you driving through the XD05 Pro?

May 19, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #102,175 of 104,208
They really are terrific. Unfortunately they remind me a lot of the Himalaya's which I also just got, but honestly I think the Delci's would be my default recommendation under 100$ these days for anyone.

Delcis have been very nice and warm so far with my listening. Gotta echo, they're a good set.

May 19, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #102,176 of 104,208
I'm hoping to receive the dunu x gizaudio davinci next week (it was shipped on Saturday) and I'm currently waiting for Angelears to ship out the mega5est.

I potentially looking to replace my shanling Up5, as it has severe battery drain now and I'm sure there's better offerings out there now for BT dacs.

Is Qudelix 5k the best at the moment? How does it compare to the btr15?
Depends on what you need and how much you’re willing to spend. The 5K is great for its price, size, DSP tools, and Bluetooth, but it’s not great by today’s standards in terms of sound quality. Just depends on what your priorities/needs are. I use mine daily, but not because it’s the best sounding dongle.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #102,177 of 104,208
Hello.

Thank you for your words.

I would also like a filter that enhances the bass instead of reducing the upper midrange.

Which particular filter would you like to measure with? I have the Simgot EA1000 filters.

Edit: All Simgot filters look the same. I think it is the same to use the filters of the EA500LM model as the EA1000, do you think so?
Edit2: I think they are the same, but I notice that the red filters on the EA1000s have some small defect that creates a difference between channels, while the rest of the EA1000s do not have any such defect.
Anyway, I have made measurements with the filters of both models.

NiceHCK Himalaya vs Simgot EA1000 Filters.pngNiceHCK Himalaya vs Simgot EA500LM Filters.pngNiceHCK Himalaya EA1000 Red.pngSimgot EA1000 Red.png
I use the FiiO FD7 balanced. Nozzles (green band) on the Himalaya much prefer the way it shapes the sound the simgot red filter added a touch of sibilance for me.

May 19, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #102,178 of 104,208
Busy working on multiple reviews now, have the energy again after a long depressive winter in Norway.

First one out that I hope to finish in the next week is for a earbud from Venture Electronics, the VE SMG. Short for Venture Electronics Monk Slim Metal Gold, yup a lot better with SMG. Perhaps my new faovorite earbud, at least sits at top beside some other gems I have.

Having heard the flagships buds from the brand costing 2-4 times more, I'm impressed by how resolving and balanced sounding this one is.
For now its only for sVIP members, but I heard it will be open for the rest later this year.

As a lover of earbuds its absolutely worth the $250($200), specially when you also look at the build quality with the small gold plated metal shell.

Any other earbud enthusiasts here? I belive many would earbuds if they gave it a try. Some really good gems out there.

DSCF5139.jpg
I have tried earbuds a few different times but I just can't get them to fit comfortably. It always puts pressure on my tragus and gets really painful after about 10 minutes. I have the same issue with Airpod style TWS too.

May 19, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #102,179 of 104,208
BAD discovery today: the Tangzu Xuan Nv just came in and they were intended on being a gift for a friend of mine. But I could not resist opening them up to see if the sound quality was good enough for a gift. Imagine my horror when I saw that the left bud was cracking and peeling!
IMG_2461.jpeg

At risk of flakes falling into my ear, I did try them out for a few songs… there’s more bass here than I got the impression of from some reviews. Definitely sufficient and low-reaching. The mids are warm and very present and the highs are extended enough for me to really enjoy what I was hearing. But I got these packed up for a return and replacement! Some of the eartips looked like they had flecks of stuff on them. Quality control needs to wait up and smell the coffee!

I have the Trio coming in which is a quarter of the price so once I hear that I might decide not to girt a copy for myself but I can’t deny that these are leaks and bounds more attractive than the gunmetal KZ releases lately.

May 19, 2024 at 7:55 PM Post #102,180 of 104,208
Depends on what you need and how much you’re willing to spend. The 5K is great for its price, size, DSP tools, and Bluetooth, but it’s not great by today’s standards in terms of sound quality. Just depends on what your priorities/needs are. I use mine daily, but not because it’s the best sounding dongle.

I'm probably looking to spend up to $250, and I'm mainly concerned with sound and Bluetooth (size as well for non Bluetooth devices)

Would you mind suggesting a couple of decent BT devices, and non NY devices in that price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back