The discovery thread!
May 19, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #102,151 of 104,139
@PhonoPhi casually brought up something in passing that had me thinking. Anyone read any research about EST electromagnetics and how that could show an increased potential for brain cancer? Several big name musicians developed brain cancer. So many people worrying about their cell phones, and those typically aren't at your ear for hours at a time, while an EST driver could and would. Just interesting, because of the energy it emits.

May 19, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #102,153 of 104,139
What audio gear are you guys/gals looking forward to getting?

Either planned purchase or something on the way.

For me:
  • 634ears LOAK TX-02 - one of the 3 flagship variants, should be finished very soon.
  • Dita Project M - absolutely stunning IEM and I want to hear it after all the praise, getting one in June.
  • Kinera Celest Relentless - will be my first Celest, doubt it come here before July.
  • Kinera QoA Adonis 2.0 - will be coming together with Relentless.
  • Letshuoer new dongle.

And for what I want to get, but money might stop me. Pilgrim Noir, Symphonium Titan, CFA Fathom. I'll add a last one, AFUL Explorer look good.
I'm hoping to receive the dunu x gizaudio davinci next week (it was shipped on Saturday) and I'm currently waiting for Angelears to ship out the mega5est.

I potentially looking to replace my shanling Up5, as it has severe battery drain now and I'm sure there's better offerings out there now for BT dacs.

Is Qudelix 5k the best at the moment? How does it compare to the btr15?

May 19, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #102,154 of 104,139
Don't know why someone thought the Thieaudio Elixir was discontinued. Lol........I just believed them. You know you think they know what they are talking about? But no, they still make it.
https://www.linsoul.com/products/thieaudio-elixir

Just exactly 2 years old.
front_end_paper.jpeg

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #102,155 of 104,139
@PhonoPhi casually brought up something in passing that had me thinking. Anyone read any research about EST electromagnetics and how that could show an increased potential for brain cancer? Several big name musicians developed brain cancer. So many people worrying about their cell phones, and those typically aren't at your ear for hours at a time, while an EST driver could and would. Just interesting, because of the energy it emits.
This is baseless. ESTs cannot and will not hurt you.

May 19, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #102,156 of 104,139
Busy working on multiple reviews now, have the energy again after a long depressive winter in Norway.

First one out that I hope to finish in the next week is for a earbud from Venture Electronics, the VE SMG. Short for Venture Electronics Monk Slim Metal Gold, yup a lot better with SMG. Perhaps my new faovorite earbud, at least sits at top beside some other gems I have.

Having heard the flagships buds from the brand costing 2-4 times more, I'm impressed by how resolving and balanced sounding this one is.
For now its only for sVIP members, but I heard it will be open for the rest later this year.

As a lover of earbuds its absolutely worth the $250($200), specially when you also look at the build quality with the small gold plated metal shell.

Any other earbud enthusiasts here? I believe many would like earbuds if they gave it a try. Some really good gems out there these days.

DSCF5139.jpg

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #102,157 of 104,139
So how is it baseless? Where's the research you've read that led you to call his worries and mine baseless? What's the scientific explanation for why a very large group of humans are worried about phone energy but not EST drivers?

May 19, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #102,158 of 104,139
"We found no evidence of increased risk of glioma, meningioma or acoustic neuroma. Suggests that amount of mobile phone use is not associated with brain tumour risk."

Cell Phones don't even cause cancer of the brain.

May 19, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #102,159 of 104,139
My guess is that its the EST on headphones thats the problem? as the magnetic field they create are much larger than what the EST in IEMs create.
There is a lot of stuff we think we know, then suddenly some years later its the other way around. Most research have sponsors, and its not easy to see whats trustable or not.

Still think this thread shouldn't talk to much about health issues like this, always spark so much debate.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #102,160 of 104,139
Busy working on multiple reviews now, have the energy again after a long depressive winter in Norway.

First one out that I hope to finish in the next week is for a earbud from Venture Electronics, the VE SMG. Short for Venture Electronics Monk Slim Metal Gold, yup a lot better with SMG. Perhaps my new faovorite earbud, at least sits at top beside some other gems I have.

Having heard the flagships buds from the brand costing 2-4 times more, I'm impressed by how resolving and balanced sounding this one is.
For now its only for sVIP members, but I heard it will be open for the rest later this year.

As a lover of earbuds its absolutely worth the $250($200), specially when you also look at the build quality with the small gold plated metal shell.

Any other earbud enthusiasts here? I belive many would earbuds if they gave it a try. Some really good gems out there.

DSCF5139.jpg
I have the VE Bonus BiE, which is OK (a bit too bassy for my tastes), and I had two sets of the original Monks, which I enjoyed initially, but I'm just not a buds guy anymore (I was for DECADES), so I gifted the Monks away to good homes. Those remind me of gold Monks. Love the gold and the cable.

May 19, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #102,161 of 104,139
My guess is that its the EST on headphones thats the problem? as the magnetic field they create are much larger than what the EST in IEMs create.
There is a lot of stuff we think we know, then suddenly some years later its the other way around. Most research have sponsors, and its not easy to see whats trustable or not.

Still think this thread shouldn't talk to much about health issues like this, always spark so much debate.
Freaked out about wearing your Mest5? LOL j/k buddy!

May 19, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #102,162 of 104,139
That's @PhonoPhi ! I'm a fan of many CCA models, but I've been very critical of KZ's releases minus the Ling Long lol Outside of that, these two incoming KZ will be my first since the ZS5 from years ago lol
While I am a great fan of KZ (and in my upcoming Waterheater or Waterboiler (?) thread, KZ is expected to be heavily promoted and blindly compated to totls :))

I can only name every all-BA KZs by heart (have them all, many in multiple copies).

I used to be a great fan of CCA with all their pokemons collected, starting with C16. CCA lost me on their wooden one (CKX?), and them other weird names/nomenclature. CRA & CRA brought CCA from near oblivion, IMO. Loved their recent Pianist (my tastes/biases), but less their other releases.
For KZ - I can't recollect any recent flops. Sure, with their diverse IEM offerings, not everythung is to everyone's preference but nothing totally out of line, not counting collabs with some really bad guys...

A very good point.
While I could not find any direct studies upon a brief search (EST adoption is relatively recent), in addition to my concern of 50+ V voltage (and more), cited operational frequencies up to 70 kHz are well into the ultrasonic range - where the sound may not be perceived by most and then ever measured by most rigs, while potential mechanical damage at these high frequencies/energies, (similar to ultrasonic bath) can occur without any chance of perceiving/recognizing it.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #102,163 of 104,139
I have the VE Bonus BiE, which is OK (a bit too bassy for my tastes), and I had two sets of the original Monks, which I enjoyed initially, but I'm just not a buds guy anymore (I was for DECADES), so I gifted the Monks away to good homes. Those remind me of gold Monks. Love the gold and the cable.
The monks are good for the money, but nothing special. Same for the original Monk SM, biggest downside with all of the cheaper ones is lack of body.
Some of the more higher end models have way better bass extension and sound less shrill and thin, my collection is mostly of mid tier Venture Electronics buds and some from FranQL.
If we look at budget earbuds to experience a little fuller sound the Yincrow X6 is cheap and nice, little large shell so might be hard for some to get full sound.

May 19, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #102,164 of 104,139
As I told @activatorfly, due to the excellent/above average (4/5) natural timbre and top end resolution of the CCA Polaris, I'm finding them absolutely engaging and amazing for jazz, instrumental, and swing. It really gets me emotionally involved in the music. Still feeling my way around other genres with mixed results, but nothing terrible, just mixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back