The discovery thread!
May 17, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #101,926 of 104,203

May 17, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #101,927 of 104,203
My wife was like... Man, how many of them do you have?
Me: guess 6 or 7 only, sold some others
She: gosh, you have two ears, where do you stick all the others?
Me:

dd0.jpg
Me to my 95-year-old father on our daily FaceTime call: "Hey, Pop: I got another set of headphones!"
Pop to 58-year-old son: "Another one? Jesus, how many do you have? Aren't they all the same?"

:)

May 17, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #101,928 of 104,203

No Theme has a new Delci review out. 2-5k sibilance and grain, according to him.

He used this song for testing that:

Seeing as he keeps calling it a planar, when it's a DD, not sure I'm paying much attention to this guy, when he can't pay attention to what he's listening to. Sorry. Not sorry.

May 17, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #101,929 of 104,203
From the Once an Audiophile, Always an Audiophile Dept:

I work as the director of editorial for Penske Entertainment, which owns the NTT INDYCAR SERIES and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I'm working this month at the Speedway for the Indianapolis 500.

It's a fun job that I've done for nearly a quarter-century -- this is my 24th "500" -- but it's a LOT of work. Twenty straight 13-hour days this month.

Anyways, I was trudging up the steps to the fourth floor of the Media Center where I work all month the other morning, tired and cranky from fatigue and lack of coffee. Then I saw it -- a lone IEM tip sitting at base of one of the steps. Three days later, the tip was still there, but turned sideways. :)

Proof that an audiophile always is on the lookout, even when they're working their balls off and have little time to enjoy good sound or good banter about that sound! :)

Attachments

• processed-18495D8E-5E7B-4639-BEBA-FD0EC84B2E5B.jpeg
    processed-18495D8E-5E7B-4639-BEBA-FD0EC84B2E5B.jpeg
    986.1 KB · Views: 0
  • processed-C67FB3FE-FBCA-4F90-9D98-DD95BF8B3272.jpeg
    processed-C67FB3FE-FBCA-4F90-9D98-DD95BF8B3272.jpeg
    926.5 KB · Views: 0
May 17, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #101,930 of 104,203
Seeing as he keeps calling it a planar, when it's a DD, not sure I'm paying much attention to this guy, when he can't pay attention to what he's listening to. Sorry. Not sorry.
Exactly. Details matter. Mistakes happen, but as I learned in journalism school 40 years ago, it's better to be accurate than to be first.

Hard to take this reviewer seriously after that kind of mistake.

May 17, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #101,932 of 104,203
Peaky? Damn, I thought I was treble sensitive. Couldn't disagree more.

OK, the Delci doesn't have the smoothness of the MagicOne or the tame, too-conservative treble roll-off of the Galileo. But peaky? Sibilant? Nope. I also don't hear amber waves of grain, either.

If he thinks the Delci is peaky and sibilant, then I hope he analyzed the EA500 LM as a peen hammer hitting a length of sheet metal.
I read your post just as I was plugging in to listen to this song, with the Simgot EA500LM. Surprisingly, with the gold filters, which I'm placed pretty much permanently now, yes, there's sibilance in the song, especially when she singls lyrics with the "S" in it, but it actually wasn't too bad. It wasn't ice picky (like the VS3), and was definitely listenable and acftually sounded really good through the LM, as well as the sibilance was even present with the Kiwi Ears Cadenza, which is Moondrop style conservative in the highs. Maybe I should pull out my Moondrops?

May 17, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #101,933 of 104,203
My wife was like... Man, how many of them do you have?
Me: guess 6 or 7 only, sold some others
She: gosh, you have two ears, where do you stick all the others?
Me:

dd0.jpg
LOL I use the "I sold several to afford this new one" all the time hahaha

May 17, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #101,934 of 104,203
My man, I appreciate your contributions and posts on the thread but you have to chill with your statements. He bought them with his hard earned cash and loves them. Remember this is the discovery thread. Everyone's take is welcomed. No one is forcing what he likes upon another person, its how he hears them. I appreciate everyone's take on what they are into on this thread and that is the way it should be. It should be based on YOUR discovery.

Truth is everyone is in the hobby is here for the same reasons, at what level you enjoy that hobby is what level you enjoy this hobby. No one can say you shouldn't drive a BMW cus a Honda will be the same. Like wise I want to ask you publicly not to judge folks on their posts and post comments like that just because you don't see the value in a $1200 IEM. That is you. Not so much the guy that bought the $1200 IEM and not the $2400 IEM. This being said. I value what @emdeevee is saying about the Voltage cus if you guys know him on the Watercooler thread. Guy so happens to own and has heard a lot of higher end stuff most of you guys have no idea about. For him to come out and say publicly what he hears from the $1200 Penon Voltage. Means he values them for their performance especially probably compared to higher end stuff he has heard.

In any case. Here we have 3 different IEMs with what seems to be very similar configurations but with 3 different prices.
1715968001356.png
RP of $599

1715968090843.png
Voltage @ $1200
PENON VOLTAGE Flagship Audiophile In-ear Monitor
4 Sonion Electrostatic+4 Sonion Balanced Armature+2DD hybrid with 2 Tuning Switches
4 x Sonion Electrostatic for ultra- high frequency
2 x Sonion Balanced Armature for high frequency
2 x Sonion Balanced Armature for middle frequency
2 x 8mm dynamic driver for low frequency
4-way crossover,4 tubes

and then this thing.
1715968149771.png
Specifications RP= $2400

Shell Material: TC4 TITANIUM, Semi-Open Design

Frequency Range:5hz~40khz
Impedance:25Ω1khz
Sensitivity:1khz104db
Stock Eartips: Final Type E
Driver Configuration: 1DD+4BA+4EST

Just because these 3 IEMs have similar configurations does that automatically bring the Volare to the level of the Voltage or the Alter Ego? If this was true than I mean why even pay $599 for the Volare. Might as well go with The NiceHCK NX7 MK4 with 7 drivers. 10mm beryllium plated dynamic, 4BAs + 7layer PZT driver. Cus it will sound at a similar level as the Voltage with an outstanding value right? so might as well save $1100.

Truth is the NX7 MK4 don't come anywhere near the refinement of the Voltage. And another thing worth pointing out, is that it is Penon that is being transparent about what drivers they are using. Not so much the other two. I suppose manufacturers don't have to say what drivers they are using but I question if the volare is using premium Sonion or Knowles BAs. Cus if they did they would proudly display it, is my thought. It would actually make sense that they are using cheaper Bellsing BAs.( Same type of BAs used on your garden variety KZ and CCA IEMs) perhaps a bit upgraded Bellsings, dont know. They have to make some type of money. Folks don't make these things to break even or loose money that's for certain.

You don't have to agree to like every post about a higher end IEM, its all relative is my point. Value is in the eye of the beholder as they say. You guys that have been following this thread. This thread was based on the idea of value for an IEM but at the same time. These higher end IEMs are higher end and cost like they do for a reason and just because it is sold at $1200 does not mean they don't have any real value at that price. To me the Voltage is a substantial release by Penon and they are not strangers to making higher end IEMS. They aren't out to get you or anyone else with a raw deal and if you haven't heard what these are about, than I just hope for some open mindedness that's all. In any case keep on keeping on my friend. This thread fire right now.
I wasn't going to respond, but what a curious response for a PENON product? Very curious. Are the sponsors whispering in your ear? I don't want to upset any Penon reps. My bad, Penon. I apologize. I order from you all the time! Look at my purchase history! Y'all are great! Carry on.

May 17, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #101,935 of 104,203
I have not seen any real benefits with IEMs that cost more than $200 so far. The most expensive one I have is $700. It is gorgeous but it doesn't fit my ears, has too sharp treble and didn't come with much of a 'package'. The second most expensive IEM I have cost me $500 at launch with a discount. They fit me pretty well, but very deep, and look great. The tuning isn't as advertised, though. My set is skewed too dark. + 3 dB at low frequencies and - 3 dB or more at mid and high frequencies. It's got too much bass which muffles everything. Are the drivers expensive and better than those in my cheaper IEMs? I suppose.
I have yet to come across an article describing what a better quality driver actually means. Using obscure metals or materials doesn't make a driver better. Only more expensive.
HBB just released a video about an IEM that has had lots of favourable reviews, saying that its internals equal those of a regular KZ IEM. There's no proof in the video, but such comments makes one wonder about the price setting practices in this hobby.

My current favourite among my IEMs is a hybrid, 1 DD and 1 BA, the Tiandirenhe MJ Signature. It cost me $140 (regular marked down price is $160 but the quoted full price is $228.58). It looks beautiful (it has a wood shell), fits me perfectly (doesn't dig into my ear canals), has a balanced tonality with a slight emphasis towards dark. Bass peaks at 40 Hz with roughly 12 dB above the lowest mid point (at 800 Hz). It has a mild pinna gain, with a first peak at 2K (+8 dB) and a second peak at 4K (+11 dB). From there it has a slope of -12 dB to 10K . It doesn't lack details in the treble region up to 10K but I have no idea about higher frequencies. I don't know what to listen for in those areas. It has no peaks after that. I took a chance when I bought it because it had been more 'expensive' before and I was unsure about that tuning. To me, this is more enjoyable than the Kiwiears Quintet, but that IEM has a more balanced sound. This is simply for enjoying music in long listening sessions.
Including an extrapolated graph for reference. The image of the graph on the webpage is skewed but readable.
Those are gorgeous wood shells! Damn!

May 17, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #101,936 of 104,203
May 17, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #101,937 of 104,203
Me to my 95-year-old father on our daily FaceTime call: "Hey, Pop: I got another set of headphones!"
Pop to 58-year-old son: "Another one? Jesus, how many do you have? Aren't they all the same?"

:)
the fallacies of a 95 year old man!! Are they all the same?! Bite your tongue, pops!! LOL They are ALL DIFFERENT!! Which is why my wallet has moths flying out of it!

May 17, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #101,938 of 104,203
All-time, my list would take far too long to list, as I've tried most likely over 200+ IEMs, but let me narrow it down to my top 10 that I've enjoyed and given large amounts of eartime, and not necessarily the most technical or pricey, both currently owned and those I've parted ways with for whatever reason or got to borrow and then give back. This makes my list a lot more manageable.

1. JH Audio Roxanne (owned and sold for move to Florida)
2. Dita Dream (borrowed and truly wow'd by this neutral marvel, which led me to buy the Dita Truth, which wasn't even close to this sound quality)
3. DUNU EST112 (owned and sold for Wu Zetian and Timeless)
4. Aur Audio Aure (still own)
5. Ultimate Ears TF10 (owned and sold)
6. Sennheiser IE800 (still own)/JVC HA-FX800 (the first IEM that so wow'd me with timbre and resolution, that it freaked me out!! The bass though was too intrusive-sold)
7. TRN ST7 (own)
8. Fischer Audio DB02 (owned and sold for Zero Audio Doppio and TTPod something or the other)
9. CCA Trio (own)
10. Sennheiser CX300ii (just the fun factor and they were my main squeeze for 3 years!)

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #101,939 of 104,203
My "Discovery" of the day - KZ Merga arrived:
20240517_172616.jpg
20240517_172244.jpg

Just $13, not $1200, not even a Penon or Linsoul, but I hope that nice little discoveries are OK here too, right?

While the shells are all about cost-savings, they do not look that cheap. I really like that the letters are more subtly looking than in the package images.

Burning now, since original impressions are nice tuning, but tubby (many point out "BA timbre" as something detrimental (that I personally love), while many DDs feel "tubby" to me. It often subsides after some "burning" -15 mins or so, in my experience. I will give them a couple of hours before doing comparisons - one of the great fun aspects of this hobby to me.

" The earphones number 256?" - my daughter asked today inquisitively.
"No, just #142" - I replied humbly but confidently :wink:

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #101,940 of 104,203
Sitting on my screen porch of my beach cottage. Temp is a delightful 75. Hype 4s in my ears connected to Shanling M6 Ultra by a PW #10. It don’t get much better. Very little said about the Hype IEMs. I have the 2 and 4.
On the other hand, awaiting Aur Neon Pro, 7hz Aurora and………

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back