The discovery thread!
May 16, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #101,806 of 103,993
I’ll sum up the Octave and MG100 for anyone interested. Both stand out from average with their staging ability, bass to mids on MG100 is incredibly well-balanced on the brass nozzle, Octave really impresses bass lovers with a deep tactile response, but mids can be a touch too forward at times. MG100 is a bit sharp in the mid treble but the overall energy is enjoyable depending on the track. Treble extension is fine on both though the upper regions aren’t as highlighted.

May 16, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #101,807 of 103,993
Oh man I don't think I could do it! I've heard upwards of 50 iems and it's been too long on some for me to remember how they sound.
yeah that’s a lot lol I feel like you could get a solid 25 tho and just list the rest by gut feeling or somethin

May 16, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #101,809 of 103,993
With all due respect, why do KZ (and by extension, CCA) recently decided to use nylon nozzles filters for all their IEMs? They feel extremely cheap, attract dirt easily, and it’s almost impossible to clean them. It’s not as if using better materials would significantly impact the cost either. For instance, TRN provides good metal nozzle filters even for its more affordable IEMs. But the strange thing is that some more old KZ products (let's say ZSN Pro for example) were using metal nozzle filters!

Nylon Filters (Krila)
Metal Filters (ZSN PRO)
12117255.jpg
kz-zsn-pro-s18-03.jpg

What puzzles me the most is that KZ is now using the nylon filters across all their products, even for higher-tier ones priced above $100 (such as the AS24 Pro).

A recent (and only) exception was the KZ Symphony, which featured the "good old" metal nozzle filters. Unfortunately, it seems to have been just an irregular occurrence, as all their newly released IEMs (CCA Hydro, Vader, and Merga) continue to use the nylon ones.

Am I the only one who is bothered by this? 🤣

Maybe by pointing this out in future reviews, KZ could consider reverting this change? Just a thought.

The mesh plays a part in tuning the sound, usually to damp certain frequencies.

It is their "trade secret", but there must be a reason why they are using certain meshes in synergy with certain driver/shell acoustics.

Such a good point. When will the market be over saturated to the point where people lose interest? I believe it's already past the point of over saturation, but I know there's also a group of folks who look forward to literally every release. The way I see it, nearly every company releases good to great IEMs right now. Internet forums and constant review samples being thrown around are definitely the main culprit here. If you have a sub par release, everyone will know about it, and you’ll be screwed for sure.

I just wonder when the glass will overflow and the market slows down - maybe a year or two from now? We shall see.

Companies nowadays know how to release something that shouldn't sink, eg by following measurebator approved graphs, using a collab name as a crutch, taking feedback from previous failed releases, using waifus or following the flavour of the month (eg tuning switch, 2DD exotic drivers) etc.

Indeed, as of 2024, the majority of budget CHIFI releases are not flops. Most are average scoring, like 3 - 3.5/5, and we have a handful that are very unique or are gamechangers that score higher. But by and large, most are bang average but these are actually much better sounding than the IEMs of 5 years back. Sadly, being average today, is the same as being forgotten after a few weeks, cause a shinier hypetrain releases next week anyway.

Correct. The true mainstream market is TWS. All my kids have them now. ALL 5 of them, plus now my grandkids too. I used to gift them wired, and they'd love it, but now I wouldn't do that unless I wanted to waste money on them. We reminisce about spending a weekend cruising the local audio stores while I went wired earphone and headphone shopping. That is now extremely niche to me and YOU. Go into Best Buy. It's a quarter panel shelf with wired earphones/headphones TOTAL and then 3/4 with TWS of every brand and variety.

Yep, I spoke to a Can Jam Singapore rep at the show (won't mention the company), and they see sales of their products being skewed to 80 - 90% TWS. Wired gear is very niche and the market pool is way smaller than the lay consumers who use wireless for convenience.

I think moving forward, the wired gear segment may just stagnate or even shrink, so companies will go for where the money is, which is TWS. The newer Bluetooth codecs can actually hit quite close to wired sound, and when out on the go in a noisy place, actually one can't really do critical listening too, so TWS may be sufficient sound-wise for the non-hard core folks - convenience is a priority for them.

Bass. MagicOne has passable bass but can’t get my blood pumping when listening to “epic soundtrack”, but this one can do that easily. Like others have said, I think this is the best bass AFUL has ever achieved in their IEMs.

So, the choice is simple to me:
  • Want QDC tuning and “kilobuck-like” resolution? P8 (you will trade off bass quantity and midrange naturalness)
  • Want great tuning and gentle mid-centric signature? MagicOne
  • Want some of magic one signature with bass? Explorer

I can’t recommend P5 for any use caee (sorry aful 😂)

Agree with your findings above. Ya P5 is the worst of the AFUL gang.

P5: Untextured bleedy bass, narrow soundstage, BA timbre. Incoherency - slow bass DD versus faster BAs on top.

Their Snowy Night dongle is not bad too, neutral without harshness, decent power, note edges are not icepick.

May 16, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #101,810 of 103,993
Bass. MagicOne has passable bass but can’t get my blood pumping when listening to “epic soundtrack”, but this one can do that easily. Like others have said, I think this is the best bass AFUL has ever achieved in their IEMs.

• Want QDC tuning and “kilobuck-like” resolution? P8 (you will trade off bass quantity and midrange naturalness)

Appreciate the feedback! Thanks.

May 16, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #101,811 of 103,993

I'm not also a fan of P5, until the P8 change my perception on AFUL, and on the MagicOne, I became a true believer.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #101,812 of 103,993
Since theintention brought his own tier list, I decided to make my own, haven't updated mine in a long time.

1- 7th Acoustics Supernova
2- Xenns Mangird Tea 2
3- Tangzu X HBB: Heyday
4- Sennheiser IE600
5- Moondrop Starfield
6- Fiio JD7
7- Truthear X Crinacle: Red
8- Tangzu Wa'ner
9- Moondrop S8
10- DUNU Vernus
11- Symphonium Meteor
12- Moondrop X Crinacle: Dusk
13- JVC HA-FDX1
14- DUNU EST 112
15- Tripowin X HBB Mele (No longer own, gave away my pair.)
16- BLON BL-03
17- Fiio FD5
18- Kbear Diamond
19- Tripowin X HBB Olina
20- Seeaudio Bravery
21- Softears Volume
22- Tin Hifi T2
23- Final Audio E1000 (To harvest Final E tips.)
24- Kinera Idun Golden 2.0.
25- Ibasso IT00
26- Meze Rai Solo
27- Fiio FA7
28- Cenfer Dee Tee Seven (Odd naming convention due to brand being banned here on head.fi)
29- 1more Triple Driver (No longer own, gave away my pair)
30- Klipsch X11i (Broken jack but still functional.)
31- Nuforce HEM Dynamic
32- Jade Audio EA3
33- Echobox Finder X1 (Broke it to pieces because it sounded like total poop.)

Unranked:

Shure SE535: It's been like 8 years since I've heard this, prob low tier
V-Moda ZN - Haven't heard this in around 5 years, also prob low tier

Bottom line: More $$$$$ doesn't mean you'll enjoy whatever mid-fi / TOTL IEM you decide to shell money for more than a budget set, the Moondrop S8 for example is arguably the most technical IEM I've heard and I respect the tuning but I don't get the same enjoyment as listening to my budget single DDs I placed above the S8.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #101,813 of 103,993
Since theintention brought his own tier list, I decided to make my own, haven't updated mine in a long time.

1- 7th Acoustics Supernova
2- Xenns Mangird Tea 2
3- Tangzu X HBB: Heyday
4- Sennheiser IE600
5- Moondrop Starfield
6- Fiio JD7
7- Truthear X Crinacle: Red
8- Tangzu Wa'ner
9- Moondrop S8
10- DUNU Vernus
11- Symphonium Meteor
12- Moondrop X Crinacle: Dusk
13- JVC HA-FDX1
14- DUNU EST 112
15- Tripowin X HBB Mele (No longer own, gave away my pair.)
16- BLON BL-03
17- Fiio FD5
18- Kbear Diamond
19- Tripowin X HBB Olina
20- Seeaudio Bravery
21- Softears Volume
22- Tin Hifi T2
23- Final Audio E1000 (To harvest Final E tips.)
24- Kinera Idun Golden 2.0.
25- Ibasso IT00
26- Meze Rai Solo
27- Fiio FA7
28- Cenfer Dee Tee Seven (Odd naming convention due to brand being banned here on head.fi)
29- 1more Triple Driver (No longer own, gave away my pair)
30- Klipsch X11i (Broken jack but still functional.)
31- Nuforce HEM Dynamic
32- Jade Audio EA3
33- Echobox Finder X1 (Broke it to pieces because it sounded like total poop.)

Unranked:

Shure SE535: It's been like 8 years since I've heard this, prob low tier
V-Moda ZN - Haven't heard this in around 5 years, also prob low tier

Bottom line: More $$$$$ doesn't mean you'll enjoy whatever mid-fi / TOTL IEM you decide to shell money for more than a budget set, the Moondrop S8 for example is arguably the most technical IEM I've heard and I respect the tuning but I don't get the same enjoyment as listening to my budget single DDs I placed above the S8.
I'm surprised to see the Starfield so high and higher than Zero Red even. And it makes me sad to see my beloved Volume so low 😢

May 17, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #101,818 of 103,993
May 17, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #101,820 of 103,993
1000021883.jpg

Well here it is, my 20th review! This one is for the Simgot EM6L Phoenix (Head-fi and blog). I know I'm a bit late to the review train (there's already over 30 reviews here on Head-fi) but I think it's a great iem in the ~$100 price bracket and it's my favorite Simgot tuning to date. Thanks to everyone who has encouraged me and shown me love on my review journey. I have some exciting things coming in the next few weeks, including the new Dunu DaVinci and I'll be reviewing my first full sized headphones courtesy of ZMF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back