The discovery thread!
May 16, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #101,746 of 104,031
May 16, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #101,747 of 104,031
May 16, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #101,749 of 104,031
Edit:

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #101,750 of 104,031
The AFUL Explorer has arrived, and I've posted my review and comparisons here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aful-explorer.27201/reviews

IMG_20240516_135314.jpg

graph - 2024-05-15T141922.857.png

Here's a brief overview:
  • The earpieces are small and lightweight.
  • Same ear tips as the MagicOne.
  • The sound signature is slightly warm or neutral with a bass boost.
  • Excellent sub-bass rumble and textured bass.
  • The bass is surprisingly powerful, outperforming the bass of the Performer 5.
  • The mid-range is detailed with intimate vocals
  • The treble is smooth and detailed like most AFUL IEMs
  • The AFUL Explorer has above-average technical performance, good imaging.
  • Maintains clarity even in busy passages without being harsh or sibilant.
  • Technicalities are less than the Performer 8, but much better than the MagicOne.
  • Soundstage is a bit intimate.
  • The lower mid-range has a hint of thickness, noticeable only in certain songs with heavy bass and vocals. (Hip hop, pop, etc.)

Overall, the AFUL Explorer is impressive.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #101,751 of 104,031
May 16, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #101,752 of 104,031
Btw glad can open head-fi again but wow I need to catch up 200-ish pages. Is there any new dongle with superior soundstage / imaging recently? KA17?

KA17 on desktop mode has quite nice imaging and soundstage. Best part is it has 650 mW output on 4.4 mm desktop mode, which as of the time of writing, is probably the most powerful dongle. Easily beats other dongles and even some other DAPs.

It also has PEQ for Android devices on Fiio's app, so you can change the tonality of the dongle (stock form is neutral with a hint of warmth). The Fiio app don't work with Apple devices unfortunately for this KA17.

May 16, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #101,753 of 104,031
Gave you a like anyway, but especially because I wanted to bring you to 50K likes, congrats!
DF3B7C09-B290-4560-8079-11567E03BDE8.jpeg

Thank-you!
Time flys when you're having fun!

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #101,754 of 104,031
With all due respect, why do KZ (and by extension, CCA) recently decided to use nylon nozzles filters for all their IEMs? They feel extremely cheap, attract dirt easily, and it’s almost impossible to clean them. It’s not as if using better materials would significantly impact the cost either. For instance, TRN provides good metal nozzle filters even for its more affordable IEMs. But the strange thing is that some more old KZ products (let's say ZSN Pro for example) were using metal nozzle filters!

Nylon Filters (Krila)
Metal Filters (ZSN PRO)
12117255.jpg
kz-zsn-pro-s18-03.jpg

What puzzles me the most is that KZ is now using the nylon filters across all their products, even for higher-tier ones priced above $100 (such as the AS24 Pro).

A recent (and only) exception was the KZ Symphony, which featured the "good old" metal nozzle filters. Unfortunately, it seems to have been just an irregular occurrence, as all their newly released IEMs (CCA Hydro, Vader, and Merga) continue to use the nylon ones.

Am I the only one who is bothered by this? 🤣

Maybe by pointing this out in future reviews, KZ could consider reverting this change? Just a thought.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #101,756 of 104,031
With all due respect, why do KZ (and by extension, CCA) recently decided to use nylon nozzles filters for all their IEMs? They feel extremely cheap, attract dirt easily, and it’s almost impossible to clean them. It’s not as if using better materials would significantly impact the cost either. For instance, TRN provides good metal nozzle filters even for its more affordable IEMs. But the strange thing is that some more old KZ products (let's say ZSN Pro for example) were using metal nozzle filters!

Nylon Filters (Krila)
Metal Filters (ZSN PRO)
12117255.jpg
kz-zsn-pro-s18-03.jpg

What puzzles me the most is that KZ is now using the nylon filters across all their products, even for higher-tier ones priced above $100 (such as the AS24 Pro).

A recent (and only) exception was the KZ Symphony, which featured the "good old" metal nozzle filters. Unfortunately, it seems to have been just an irregular occurrence, as all their newly released IEMs (CCA Hydro, Vader, and Merga) continue to use the nylon ones.

Maybe by pointing this out in future reviews, KZ could consider reverting this change? Just a thought.
Coz this standard type of metal nozzle filters induces sibilance.

May 16, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #101,757 of 104,031
Nah. Just right, with strong bass. This is an IEM that encourages louder volume.

When in doubt, buy Luxury & Precision W4 :dt880smile:

Good to see you back mate.
Thanks for warm homecoming, yeah I always listen in very loud volume, the bass shelf is better than MagicOne, with similar upperhalf tuning, which is nice (especially that 12khz magic, which recently I double sure that frequencies hold a lot of things, with the Annihilator 2023)

Oh and btw I have my impressions with Cadenza 4 and Elysian Pilgrim (standard, not Noir version), they are great. I even compared them with Diva 2023 and to be honest I like Pilgrim more than the Diva 2023 especially the bass (not because of the BA on Diva, but because of the tuning, the Diva sounded incoherence and the bass sounded too sterile and seperated on both white and blue switch, and Diva lack of lower treble bites to my preferences, meanwhile the Pilgrim serve me right even not perfect) on top class, damn the Annihilator 2023 is straight up to the S+ class of my personal rank and I can declare clearly better than my beloved Z1R and Mest as overall. The treble parts are out of this world.

The AFUL Explorer has arrived, and I've posted my review and comparisons here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aful-explorer.27201/reviews

IMG_20240516_135314.jpg

Here's a brief overview:
  • Technicalities are less than the Performer 8, but much better than the MagicOne.
  • The lower mid-range has a hint of thickness, noticeable only in certain songs with heavy bass and vocals. (Hip hop, pop, etc.)

The tuning is impressive, remind me of more balanced version of my N3 that I acquired 2 months ago, might give this a shot later.

KA17 on desktop mode has quite nice imaging and soundstage. Best part is it has 650 mW output on 4.4 mm desktop mode, which as of the time of writing, is probably the most powerful dongle. Easily beats other dongles and even some other DAPs.

It also has PEQ for Android devices on Fiio's app, so you can change the tonality of the dongle (stock form is neutral with a hint of warmth). The Fiio app don't work with Apple devices unfortunately for this KA17.
Nice to read your posts again, yeah was thinking to get KA17 for portable office needs, is there any other contender with great soundstage and imaging? well I'm a bit spoiled with M17 soundstage but I can't bring that brick anywhere.
I'm very familiar with Fiio app for PEQ since I also user BTR7 and UTWS5 that utilize the same benefits. Thanks buddy.

Nylon Filters (Krila)
Metal Filters (ZSN PRO)
12117255.jpg
kz-zsn-pro-s18-03.jpg

The nylon is used to tune the recent KZ even though they said they use zobel circuit for tuning, but nope, they still use that nylon filter for tuning and that reduce the quality of the bass like usual. The old KZs are using metal grill with similar nylon filter underneath that grill

May 16, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #101,758 of 104,031
Probably the cheapest phone with a good Hi-Fi DAC that I've bought for a bargain price, US$25. LG X4 2019 with ESS DAC pair with @HiByMusic Crystal 6 Mk.II, I also use this one on my Koss Porta KPH40.

20240516_155738.jpg20240516_155828.jpg20240516_160512.jpg
I still use my LG v30+ and it's great with its built in Quad DAC.

IMG_20240516_135314.jpg

Here's a brief overview:

Awesome review! How the heck did you get all these impressions so quickly? How long have you had the Explorer? It's not even available for purchase 😅

May 16, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #101,759 of 104,031
New cable day.

I got a ivipQ-330 model IEM cable in the mail today and been putting it to good use with my TSMR-X as I was hoping they would look okay together (nervous smile).

cable.jpgcable2.jpg

1715837903476.png

1. Product Name: ivipQ-330
2. Brand: ivipQ-
3. Model: 4-Core Earphone Upgrade Cable
4. Number of Cores: Five Elements+Single Crystal Silver Plating Palladium+Rare Earth Alloy Copper+Single Crystal Silver Plating Palladium+High Conductivity 7N OCC+Oil Immersed Graphene Plating Palladium+Rare Earth Alloy
5. Single Strand Diameter: 1.5mm
6. Cable Structure: LITZ
7. Skin Material: Medical Grade PVC
8. Length: 1.23m
9. Plug Type: 4PIN XLR/3.5mm/2.5mm/4.4mm straight type optional
10. Connector: MMCX/0.78mm 2PIN/TFZ/QDC/IE900
11. Plug Material: Pure Copper Electroplating
12. Diverter Material: Using resin material

Link to the cable:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...st_main.5.38491802j9Z2XT&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

How does it sound? Not ready to jump into that just yet but it sounds an awful lot like the last cable I had on it which was a cheaper XINHS K08 with 2 strands of gold, silver and palladium graphene five element alloy cable wire. I sure do love these cables.
You sir, are a master in aesthetics.

May 16, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #101,760 of 104,031
TINHiFi T5S.

I don't see many mentioning this one, but it might just be my new favourite single DD I have tried. Admittedly, I have not tried many expensive single DD sets yet, but nonetheless, an amazing performer.

Let me burn these in before saying much more. Fits like a glove.

1000013423.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back