The discovery thread!
May 10, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #101,131 of 102,870
Question for you reviewers that I know are in this thread. What do you do with earphones that you don't really need after the review? Say you got a sample, and you weren't a major fan of it.

I'm just curious as I have a few samples and I don't want to bend or break any guidelines of the forum.
Rules from Head-Fi:

Review units and other gear received for free cannot be sold or traded, period.

Accommodation purchases, that is, items sent for review but then sold afterwards to the reviewer at an "accommodation price" cannot be sold at a higher price than was paid for the item.

Doing either is highly unethical and a serious abuse of your membership here and, not to mention, a serious abuse of the manufacturers. Using Head-Fi Classifieds to make a profit comes under the same rules those for Members of the Trade and is considered to be "flipping for profit" or shilling, depending on circumstances (eg: Telling a manufacturer you'll post a positive review if you can get the item for free or at a discount). Members found to be using Head-Fi Classifieds and/or Head Gear to profit from review items, even if the items were sold or traded elsewhere, may have their reviews deleted, access to Head-Fi Classifieds removed, and/or will be banned.

Items received for free can be given away using the "Free To Good Home" prefix on Head-Fi Class
ifieds.

May 10, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #101,132 of 102,870
Question for you reviewers that I know are in this thread. What do you do with earphones that you don't really need after the review? Say you got a sample, and you weren't a major fan of it.

I'm just curious as I have a few samples and I don't want to bend or break any guidelines of the forum.

Probably a good opportunity to send samples out/give them away.

May 10, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #101,133 of 102,870
The problem is even at those levels, it's not one size fits all genres. If it was that way, the "hobby" would be over by now LOL I'm certainly not in the mix for a be-all-end-all IEM. I like rotating in and out, and never getting used to one signature. I did that early on when I went three years with the Sennheiser CX300ii and nothing else. Since then, I've got a box full of goodies, some never get touched again, and others I revisit from time to time, and then I have my 6-8 which I rotate in and out every couple days, to color my world. So I'm not sure spending $2,000 on an IEM is going to fix that yearn or end the quest? At least not for me.
Tbh, I think the “kilobuck” mark has moved down to 5-800 nowadays. Heck, even 189 in the case of EA1000.

All good. I don’t think I can / want to chase multi-kilobuck either. Maybe one more MEST III and I’m done. No more climbing finding “better” IEM. And then I’m free to buy whatever random IEM I want when browsing aliexpress.

May 10, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #101,134 of 102,870
Here are my recommendations based on how I like this album.

- Canpur CP54e
- FiR RN6
- Kinera Verdandi
- AlphaOmega RA
- Oriveti OH700VB
I forgot KZ D-FI, a great set too.

May 10, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #101,135 of 102,870
Well, for me anyways I hold onto them and after a year or two if the manufacturer does not want me to send them back or if the item you reviewed is completely obsolete. There is no rule that says you can't give them away. So that is what I do. I give old samples of stuff past a few years. I would assume by then, said manufacturer has probably moved on to hopefully better offerings. But unsaid rule is to, never sell a review item for any profit of any type.

I know past reviewers that have gotten banned due to trying to sell items and got caught. Always assume review items are the property of the folks that sent them to you. If and when they are obsolete than there is no harm in gifting items to loved ones or not so loved ones. Lol.

All of my samples are in a ziplock bag without cable 😂

You raise a good point, I do have some IEMs that can go to “certain” people.

You lend them to your friend, thaslaya, for further reviews of course. 😉

If you were here, you would be free to borrow the whole bag. There should be like 30 or so sets in there 😂 I’m too scared to sell anything there because I can’t remember whether they were free sample, discount sample, or my own unit at retail price.

May 10, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #101,136 of 102,870

Am I the only one that sees 1715377952336.png Shrek in this graph?
I don't think IEMs tuned to the Shrek Target Curve would sound very good.

1715381490175.png

May 10, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #101,137 of 102,870

I gift them to family members or friends. If the unit is really bad sounding, I return it to the manufacturer at my expense. The latter scenario happened 2 times only.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #101,139 of 102,870
May 10, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #101,140 of 102,870
All of my samples are in a ziplock bag without cable 😂

You raise a good point, I do have some IEMs that can go to “certain” people.

If you were here, you would be free to borrow the whole bag. There should be like 30 or so sets in there 😂 I’m too scared to sell anything there because I can’t remember whether they were free sample, discount sample, or my own unit at retail price.
Damn oceans keeping us apart!
🇺🇲🫱🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🫲🇦🇺

May 10, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #101,141 of 102,870
Damn oceans keeping us apart!
🇺🇲🫱🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🫲🇦🇺
:microphone2::microphone2: Hi, this is your host of the Top 40 Countdown and here's a long distance dedication to a special bromance brewing in the Discovery Thread. :microphone2::microphone2:

May 10, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #101,142 of 102,870
When in this world has KZ ever been better tuned than CCA? Sister companies with independent tuners?
Never tried a CCA so I don't know haha. KZ sells CCA on their own website so I didn't realize they would sound super different...

May 10, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #101,143 of 102,870
I keep seeing people on here ordering from Aliexpress, but I've been having trouble with the bundle deals. (yes, I'm trying to order a KZ ZVX for $5 hahaha) they keep refunding my order. I finally realized it might be the 4 day shipping time... if they don't have it shipped by then it gets automatically cancelled. I extended it by a week so hopefully they can get it shipped! I was looking forward to comparing it with the D-fi which I got for $7 ... which dirt cheap DD will win?

I also ordered the TRN Conch for $25 because of the wealth of accessories. Eatips are expensive on Amazon! Assuming it gets here, and I love them, the st7 is next on my wishlist haha, and it's almost the same price as the Conch right now.

AND if I really get crazy, I'm also interested in the Tangzu Xuan ones with the GLORIOUS red fan artwork. Those things look like gems.

May 10, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #101,145 of 102,870

Users who are viewing this thread

Back