The discovery thread!
Nov 2, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #87,946 of 103,547
Does anyone still use the Mee Audio Pinnacle P1? Started using them for the first time in a couple of years and wow I forgot how good they are!

Nov 2, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #87,947 of 103,547
Nov 2, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #87,948 of 103,547
Okay, this narrows it down a bit. I'd say Butastur is a good choice in this case. If you're not too attached to bass. For bassy + clear, I'd say IE600 from the ones I've tried.
This is why i think best iem is subjective. Im on totally on the other side of this. I respect AS and i bought the butusatur to support him and i think its one of the best looking iem i own, but if i could only choose one. I would have chosen sr8, since it sounds better to me in every aspect.

I think also that ie600 is not worth it's price, i sent it back because i felt its overrated. Ie200 with right tips and cable does 90% of what ie600 do.

Im sorry, and i don't mean to offend but I feel that ie600 is overrated, there i said it. 😅

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #87,950 of 103,547
Tried them on again recently, a bit flat/bored sounding to me. Of course all personal preference.
I find the source makes a big difference. Plugging them straight into an apple usb-c to 3 5mm cable into the phone, it does sound lifeless and muddy. Using my fiio q1 with bass boost, it sounds much more exciting, much more detailed (which I find it has quite a bit of). Great clarity. I haven't been using IEMs for some time but the P1 might have just pulled me back in

Nov 2, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #87,951 of 103,547
Kinera Freya 2.0

7mm DD + 3 Knowles BA
Comes with modular cable and Final E tips too

398234902_1224096818534325_276252558573392692_n.jpg

398415327_1224092721868068_8736683143670729461_n.jpg

398238451_1224092691868071_5777057833156568934_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/kinera2017...cA2S9Qzv9iQEnJYMA6isPKwGxaDCov2LM1z7CqfTYeS9l

EA1000 is on my list for 11.11/black friday. But can someone enlighten me on how the EA1000's passive radiator works? It's only 1DD, so is the radiator picking up the whole frequency range? Like DZ4 did? Passive radiators are usually used in closed chambers for bass. Often used in closed subwoofers.

Yes you are right that the EA1000's passive radiator doesn't act like a conventional closed box PR; it doesn't seem to be enclosed in the same structure as the DD.

On hearing, I find that the PR in the EA1000 adds some heft and rumble to the sub-bass, I think it adds slightly to a fuller bodied tone there, but only at the bass regions (not full frequency range for sure).

Will need someone who has the balls to tear open the IEM to check how is the PR configured though.

Nov 2, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #87,952 of 103,547
Kinera Freya 2.0

7mm DD + 3 Knowles BA
Comes with modular cable and Final E tips too

88 units is a strangely low manufacture number for this, wasn't the OG Freya made in the low thousands despite being poorly received?

Edit: Oh wait, is it the preorder bonus what's limited to 88 units?

This is even less units than the DUNU Vernus for some context

Tempted to get this but as a gift for the holidays

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #87,953 of 103,547
SIMGOT EA1000 and HiBy R3 II
SIMGOT EA1000 and Penon ASOS Cable
DSC_0152.jpegs.jpeg

DSC_0159.jpegAAA.jpeg

SIMGOT EA1000 against a multitude of fighters..........................including its own family.
DSC_0163.jpeg32.jpeg

7Hz Legato, IMR BC 2023 and SIMGOT EA1000
DSC_0165.jpegw.jpeg

SIMGOT EA1000, Kiwi ears Orchestra Lite and Kiwi ears Quintet
DSC_0168.jpegw.jpeg

SIMGOT EA1000, EA500 and EW200
DSC_0172.jpegw.jpeg

SIMGOT EM6L, EA1000 and EW100

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #87,954 of 103,547
88 units is a strangely low manufacture number for this, wasn't the OG Freya made in the low thousands despite being poorly received?

Edit: Oh wait, is it the preorder bonus what's limited to 88 units?

This is even less units than the DUNU Vernus for some context

Tempted to get this but as a gift for the holidays

Not sure how this Freya 2.0 will turn out. But the Freya 1 looked beautiful, but sounded like an epic banshee shoutfest:
Kinera_Freya.jpg

Graph looks like Ayers Rock LOLOL. I still get PTSD remembering how it sounded in the ears!

download.jpg

Nov 3, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #87,955 of 103,547
Yes you are right that the EA1000's passive radiator doesn't act like a conventional closed box PR; it doesn't seem to be enclosed in the same structure as the DD.

On hearing, I find that the PR in the EA1000 adds some heft and rumble to the sub-bass, I think it adds slightly to a fuller bodied tone there, but only at the bass regions (not full frequency range for sure).

Will need someone who has the balls to tear open the IEM to check how is the PR configured though.
Ok, thanks!
Hi-Fri are you reading this? lol

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #87,956 of 103,547
IMG_3476.jpg

MagicOne has landed. I have been able to listen to this one for a few hours using the HiBy R3II. Some highlights:
  • Size: these IEMs are small. They have the same overall shape as P5 and P8, but thinner and smaller at the same time.
  • Soundstage: finally, AFUL does not have small-ish soundstage anymore. It might lack some precision of P8, but the overall perception of size and space is better.
  • Treble extension is great. As a result, detail retrieval is rather good.
  • Midrange is quite natural and easy to listen. I haven't measured these units, but I expect a "well-tuned" Harman-inspired signature with thicker lower midrange. Instrument separation and definition are also quite nice.
  • There is bass.
  • The overall sense of dynamic is quite good. I like the sense of tactility of string plucks and taps when listening to a string quartet.
Some concerns:
  • I hear some "glares" when listening to Bach Violin Partita by Kavakos. Perhaps a focused peak at 3kHz. It's not annoying and it's not there all the time, but it's there.
  • Not much rumble or texture in the bass. Whilst there is a clear snap and punch at the top of the bass note, there is not much decay.
  • Micro dynamic of the midrange is not great.
  • I experienced slight pressure build up.

Personally, I admire the R&D on display here. Not some big acronyms, just impressive electrical tuning circuits and 3D printed boxes and tubes.

I don't know the retail price of these IEMs, but the judging by the box and packaging, I think it would be the cheapest AFUL so far. If they can price this sub-$100, I would say it's a winner, especially if your taste lean towards "neutral", "clear", "well-tuned" IEMs. Both the sound and the presentation make this IEM feels like a long term item in a collection rather than yet another random Pokemon to catch.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #87,957 of 103,547
IMG_3476.jpg

MagicOne has landed. I have been able to listen to this one for a few hours using the HiBy R3II. Some highlights:
  • Size: these IEMs are small. They have the same overall shape as P5 and P8, but thinner and smaller at the same time.
  • Soundstage: finally, AFUL does not have small-ish soundstage anymore. It might lack some precision of P8, but the overall perception of size and space is better.
  • Midrange is quite natural and easy to listen. I haven't measured these units, but I expect a "well-tuned" Harman-inspired signature with thicker lower midrange. Instrument separation and definition are also quite nice.
  • There is bass.
  • The overall sense of dynamic is quite good. I like the sense of tactility of string plucks and taps when listening to a string quartet.
Some concerns:
  • I hear some "glares" when listening to Bach Violin Partita by Kavakos. Perhaps a focused peak at 3kHz. It's not annoying and it's not there all the time, but it's there.
  • Not much rumble or texture in the bass. Whilst there is a clear snap and punch at the top of the bass note, there is not much decay.

Personally, I admire the R&D on display here. Not some big acronyms, just impressive electrical tuning circuits and 3D printed boxes and tubes.

I don't know the retail price of these IEMs, but the judging by the box and packaging, I think I would be the cheapest AFUL so far. If they can price this sub-$100, I would say it's a winner, especially if your taste lean towards "neutral", "clear", "well-tuned" IEMs. Both the sound and the presentation make this IEM feels like a long term item in a collection rather than yet another random Pokemon to catch.
Thanks for sharing. Great first impressions.

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #87,958 of 103,547
IMG_3476.jpg

• There is bass.
Some concerns:

I don't know the retail price of these IEMs, but the judging by the box and packaging, I think I would be the cheapest AFUL so far. If they can price this sub-$100, I would say it's a winner, especially if your taste lean towards "neutral", "clear", "well-tuned" IEMs. Both the sound and the presentation make this IEM feels like a long term item in a collection rather than yet another random Pokemon to catch.

I guess there are gonna be physical limitations with a single BA - namely sub-bass extension. But how is the timbre on this set?

Nov 3, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #87,959 of 103,547
But how is the timbre on this set?
Mostly natural, besides the slight glare somewhere in the upper frequencies. There is still a slightly "steely", "stiffness" sensation in the midrange, noticeable when listening to violin solos and quartets. I guess you can call that "BA timbre"? Nothing jumps out in terms of timbre and tonality, though the midrange is certainly not as natural and "real" as the 7th acoustic supernova.

Edit: forgot to mention, I'm very happy to say that this IEM is not insanely sensitive like Campfire Audio stuffs. I was so worried when reading the marketing material: "easy to drive". In fact, this IEM is one of the harder one to drive. Kinda like Westone MACH10, which also surprised me by how hard it was to drive.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #87,960 of 103,547
I haven't had a chance to use the LG V50, but there's a dedicated thread for it here. It might be a good place to ask since those folks probably have it.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v50-thinq-smartphone.907771/

For portable DAC amps, I have the Cayin RU7 (wired-only) and the FiiO BTR7 (wired and BT), and prefer the sound of the warmer RU7. Not sure if that'll help you much though since I've never heard the V50 :)
How would you rate the RU7 and (wired) BTR7 technically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back