Dynamic driver: 10mm PET diaphragm for low frequency
Impedance: 19ohm
Sensitivity: 107dB
Frequency response: 20-20kHz
Passive noise reduction: 26dB
Connector: 2pin 0.78mm
Cable lengthen: 1.2M

First impressions:
Penon manufacturing is going ahead and building on the new and different sound design accomplished with the 10th Anniversary model. That's not to say this does not have the Penon House sound because it does. Where the new 2 Sonion middle frequency drivers build a healthy midrange, and somehow there is even better timbre than ever? Yep, I just said that, some of the very best timbre ever done by BAs? Sorry I don't know how this is, but it is. Rounding out the top end its a single Knowles, and to add to the bottom a 10mm PET. The interesting part is Penon have carried over the well roundedness of the 10th over, as this IEM plays all genres and qualities of files well. While extra bass details put out by a file source or amplifier will get their due diligence to get a window unto their added qualities, regular older files get the polish too, with simply added note weight. Such note weight is maybe the key to our success here? That and the dance of balance, just like the 10th contained..........as this continuation is nothing like any rehash of any exact Penon I've ever heard? Totally new and offering just that much more/extra of a window into your daily file listening sessions. Bigger stage than any Globe or Orb before this creation, in fact the realization that we are in a whole different land means I have no handholds really for comparison? It's new?
Could you describe the "Penon House Sound" a little bit? Is it a good choice for Jazz or acoustic music, because I like a good warmth and rumble for the acoustic bass, but also a nice natural sparkle with cymbals and percussions.

Oct 29, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #87,768 of 103,019
Could you describe the "Penon House Sound" a little bit? Is it a good choice for Jazz or acoustic music, because I like a good warmth and rumble for the acoustic bass, but also a nice natural sparkle with cymbals and percussions.

Penon House Sound is Rich Smooth and Balanced Warm..............but it's more..........

Yes, I would say really really good for acoustic primarily due to the honesty of timbre? You would have to try the new Sonion midrange and Knowles to get an understanding on the treble positioning, where it is emphasized, but not overdone?

Where even if the House Sound sways over to more neutral, like the Fan 2, there are still respect to a thick substantial midrange, but the Dome is probably W shaped? So it's this healthy level of vocal placement without the vocals being dominant, same as this Dome is slightly heavy in bass, except not overbearing or having the bass drown-out any one thing.

I guess I would call the Penon sound, extra bass with a balance in mids, with treble allocated but not emphasized, yet nothing lacking? A W almost really?

Great for Jazz, but I never listen to Jazz, the big thing is the correct timbre so acoustic guitar gets displayed dead-on accurate which means so much. Still it's not like those overly treble guitar IEMs....................More separation than single DD, but nice guitars, and overall instrumentation shown. It's actually hard to describe something that's so very balanced? But you could also go over to the Penon/ISN threads to try and get more info, maybe?

Here is a partial quote from Dsnuts take on the Dome:
Oct 17, 2023 at 12:42 PM
Post #11,323 of 11,439

"The Globe was and is a gateway IEM. Meaning it is the one mid priced hybrid that gives the prospective buyer a classic example of the Penons tunging angle with a rich smooth organic musical sound.

The DOME this time around gives an uptick in technicalities from the base Globe sound signature. You can say Penon tunes with a bit of a w tuning/ mostly a balancing philosophy. Incorporating a well balanced treble, slightly forward mids character with a punchy physical low end to round off their sound. The balancing this time around has been fine tuned and now has better instrument separation, imaging, resulting in better inner details and dimensional qualities from what was already established from the Globe and the Orbs. The classic is reborn in the Dome and now we have an ideal extremely musical hybrid in the new Dome.

What is clearly different about the Dome this time around is that the new Dome is using a newer dual Sonion BA for its mids presentation and a separate Knowles BA for its trebles; each set of BAs has its own sound bore. The Prior Globes was using a single sound bore for the Sonion Mids BA and the treble BA with another bore for its bass.

The Domes having an extra sound bore, with each sound bore by default separating the treble notes from the mids notes. Giving a better sense of separation between the two regions. Having the set of dual BAs now focusing 100% of its sound on the mid bands and the treble BA focusing 100% of its sound on the high notes cleanly separated by the two sound channels. This gives more room to breathe for each region without fighting each other for your sound space, giving the Dome a more defined and better technical experience. I can tell the Dome was designed to do one better for Penons line of hybrid IEM and imo this is as close as you're going to get for a Volt level of musicality without the use of ESTs."

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #87,772 of 103,019
For me, Penon iem in this range of prices are not good enough for jazz music. Detail and resolution are not as required, bass too smooth.

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #87,773 of 103,019
Me too! Can’t wait to see what aful can cook up with just one BA and a coily 3d printed tube.

I have the MagicOne shipped from Hifigo. Will share some impressions when it arrives.

All are weird in their own ways. Variations is least problematic of all three. Hard to recommend any unless I know what you want to listen.

Welcome back, mate!
I mainly listen to ambient music, soundtracks, 80-90 and current pop, edm, dance and some jazz.
I tried the fh9 with standard mouthpieces and balanced sound tips and loved the sound.
The question is, is the Variations or MS5 (for which the information is confusing) better than the Fh9?

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #87,776 of 103,019
ARTTI R1 (3dd, $79)
Penon Serial little cousin with his own personality?

I have one on the way. If nobody else reviews it first, I’ll leave some impressions.

The Serial is still one of my favourite IEMs, and i hope this has even a little of that magic. The driver setup is different, but the graph looks promising.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #87,777 of 103,019
Quintet is better than Variations?
Never heard Quintet, but I have Variations. And to my ears they have an interesting but somewhat unnatural sound. They are resolving, have quite memorable subbase and addictive treble. So if you are looking for those qualities, then Variations have them in spades. Personally I listen to them quite lot and find them complimentary to my other iems as they differ a lot from the rest. But if I want some lush, rich and natural sound I don't pick Variations, as to my ears they have too much air and mids are a bit thin.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #87,778 of 103,019
DSC_0150.jpegs.jpegDSC_0145.jpegw.jpegDSC_0130.jpegww.jpeg
Model: DOME
Driver:3 Balanced Armature + 1 Dynamic driver hybrid
Balanced Armature: 1 Knowles for high frequency
2 Sonion for middle frequency
Dynamic driver: 10mm PET diaphragm for low frequency
Impedance: 19ohm
Sensitivity: 107dB
Frequency response: 20-20kHz
Passive noise reduction: 26dB
Connector: 2pin 0.78mm
Cable lengthen: 1.2M

First impressions:
Penon manufacturing is going ahead and building on the new and different sound design accomplished with the 10th Anniversary model. That's not to say this does not have the Penon House sound because it does. Where the new 2 Sonion middle frequency drivers build a healthy midrange, and somehow there is even better timbre than ever? Yep, I just said that, some of the very best timbre ever done by BAs? Sorry I don't know how this is, but it is. Rounding out the top end its a single Knowles, and to add to the bottom a 10mm PET. The interesting part is Penon have carried over the well roundedness of the 10th over, as this IEM plays all genres and qualities of files well. While extra bass details put out by a file source or amplifier will get their due diligence to get a window unto their added qualities, regular older files get the polish too, with simply added note weight. Such note weight is maybe the key to our success here? That and the dance of balance, just like the 10th contained..........as this continuation is nothing like any rehash of any exact Penon I've ever heard? Totally new and offering just that much more/extra of a window into your daily file listening sessions. Bigger stage than any Globe or Orb before this creation, in fact the realization that we are in a whole different land means I have no handholds really for comparison? It's new?
I love my Orb!

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #87,780 of 103,019
Cayin RU7 pairs really well with the Sennheiser HD 660S2. I usually avoid dongles as much as possible but the RU7 is getting a lot of listening time lately. The smooth, organic sound gets addictive.

2X2A3074.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back