The discovery thread!
Jul 11, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #57,691 of 103,538
it's a bit unusual, but I like it, 😋

I can definitely agree that it's a bit unusual, but that's nothing new to my musical preferences. I'm not a particular fan of their use of vocal fry and growl, but that's nothing against the artist or genre, just my own preferences. I typically prefer the more overtly 'musical' vocals. Regardless, that track has some interesting ethereal sounds in the opening that transition swiftly into a solid drum track. Very high pace drumming with multiple time signatures. Very cool. I do like whatever the high pitch instrumentation is that comes in around 2:15 in. It adds a nice counterpoint to the baseline.

Given that metal has never really been my genre of choice, a fairly interesting song with some technical prowess behind it.

I really appreciate when people rec songs, even those outside of my usual genre preferences. You never know when a particular song will tickle your fancy and worm it's way into your list of favorite songs. It's why I try to listen to at least a small section of the songs people rec. And if they point to a favorite section to listen to for some reason, I make sure to catch that part.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #57,693 of 103,538
I've always wondered if sub 16mm DDs suffer membrane breakup at audible frequencies.

Apparently it's completely normal for 1" aluminum dome tweeters to breakup above 25kHz, even sub $20 ones.
Yeah, I would expect that to be the case. If I remember correctly, you can effectively tune most of that breakup out with really careful enclosure designs to provide some forward resonance chamber pressure on the driver, but I don't recall the actual measures that it requires. It's a bit of an unusual thing to try to push large dome tweeters above 20kHz anyway, since they tend to localize pretty badly at that point. My favorite tweeter design if you're aiming to use a decently large diaphragm for UHF extension is the dual ring radiator silk tweeter design. Vifa made great use of those, though their actual popularity in production speakers is sadly quite low. I'd love to see someone try to adapt that driver design into something usable in IEMs, as they had fantastic dispersion and could typically safely play much lower than their dome counterparts.

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #57,694 of 103,538
I can definitely agree that it's a bit unusual, but that's nothing new to my musical preferences. I'm not a particular fan of their use of vocal fry and growl, but that's nothing against the artist or genre, just my own preferences. I typically prefer the more overtly 'musical' vocals. Regardless, that track has some interesting ethereal sounds in the opening that transition swiftly into a solid drum track. Very high pace drumming with multiple time signatures. Very cool. I do like whatever the high pitch instrumentation is that comes in around 2:15 in. It adds a nice counterpoint to the baseline.

Given that metal has never really been my genre of choice, a fairly interesting song with some technical prowess behind it.

I really appreciate when people rec songs, even those outside of my usual genre preferences. You never know when a particular song will tickle your fancy and worm it's way into your list of favorite songs. It's why I try to listen to at least a small section of the songs people rec. And if they point to a favorite section to listen to for some reason, I make sure to catch that part.
ooh, thank you so much,

let me introduce you to this:
*tidal/deezer

Screenshot_20210711-162303154 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20210711-161503195 (1).jpg

Screenshot_20210711-161720140 (1).jpg

I hope you like it, 😊

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #57,695 of 103,538
Yeah, I would expect that to be the case. If I remember correctly, you can effectively tune most of that breakup out with really careful enclosure designs to provide some forward resonance chamber pressure on the driver, but I don't recall the actual measures that it requires. It's a bit of an unusual thing to try to push large dome tweeters above 20kHz anyway, since they tend to localize pretty badly at that point. My favorite tweeter design if you're aiming to use a decently large diaphragm for UHF extension is the dual ring radiator silk tweeter design. Vifa made great use of those, though their actual popularity in production speakers is sadly quite low. I'd love to see someone try to adapt that driver design into something usable in IEMs, as they had fantastic dispersion and could typically safely play much lower than their dome counterparts.
As far as my understanding goes. In loudspeaker world. You have to go at least 3 way because the midrange and tweeter would bottom out if you force them to play too low, and the woofer and the midrange would breakup and beam if forced to play too high.

I don't think IEMs face ANY of these issues whatsoever due to their size being smaller than a tweeter, while also having to pressurize an extremely small volume.

So id like to think that making a TOTL IEM should be trivial compared to a TOTL loudspeaker system... Yet somehow isn't.

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #57,696 of 103,538
ooh, thank you so much,

let me introduce you to this:
*tidal/deezer

I hope you like it, 😊
The shockingly deep bass of the strings in Erin, coupled with the muted cymbal crash with a nice decay and the drums sounds fantastic. The evolution to including electric guitar is nice as well. A wonderful song to chill to. I really like the string bending effect. Definitely added to my YouTube Music library for future enjoyment.

Whoops, started listening to the wrong song. Anyway, Neon Theater, the track, not the album, has some nice electric guitar in the opening with what sounds like a mild reverb effect pedal, then they overlay another with what appears to be a mild grunge effect pedal. The vocal track glitch effect is cool, especially how they use it as a transition point to allow the audio to bloom into a slightly larger dynamic range. The kick drum boom and cymbal crashes are great additions there. It sounds like it could have easily been made into a metal track with some lyrics, screaming and growling. That transition at 2:48 really caught me off guard and it was awesome. Added to the list.

Seashell has some lovely laid-back guitar that reaches quite high with some clear cymbal crashes and backing drums. The 1:34 transition is really cool, moving on to a much more active guitar solo with an effect that I don't quite recognize. The piano coming in after that is quite interesting. I'm not sure what genre to place this particular song into, but that's not a bad thing at all. The 3:12 transition was tuned a bit hot, but that's okay. I am listening to it quite loud. The 3:45 shift to the synth run to break up what was becoming a somewhat repetitive riff is a nice touch.

El Mestizo definitely starts off with a darker sound signature with more minor chords. Interesting tonal shift from the other songs. Yet another electric guitar effect I'm unfamiliar with. I like the use of damped and undamped cymbals. I count least three different cymbals being used. The bit at 2:47 seconds is pretty cool. It sounds like a chipzel song for a brief period there before they pull back in the rest of the instrumentation and reduce some of the effect strength on the guitar.

Very interesting choices.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #57,697 of 103,538
As far as my understanding goes. In loudspeaker world. You have to go at least 3 way because the midrange and tweeter would bottom out if you force them to play too low, and the woofer and the midrange would breakup and beam if forced to play too high.

I don't think IEMs face ANY of these issues whatsoever due to their size being smaller than a tweeter, while also having to pressurize an extremely small volume.

So id like to think that making a TOTL IEM should be trivial compared to a TOTL loudspeaker system... Yet somehow isn't.
Yeah, dynamic driver implementation in IEMs is somehow a lot more challenging than you would expect. I've dug through quite a lot of the raw drivers on AE and they always seem to struggle to produce a workable full range FR, usually with an unpleasant breakup above 8kHz, though a lot of that can probably be attributed to harmonic weirdness with the measuring transducer, since it's pretty impossible to measure IEM drivers in open space like you would standard loudspeaker drivers, so you get more auditory transducer coupling compared to when you measure loudspeakers.

Jul 11, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #57,698 of 103,538
Here we go! Don't get impressed easily by IEMs in this price range (100-150 USD) until the IT01X. In this price range. it is exceptionally hard to find any benchmark IEMs. We all know from 150 USD, one can easily name the likes of NM2+, H40, etc. iBasso nailed it with this release. Brilliant.

iBasso IT01X Review

photo_2021-07-11_13-11-21.jpg

Jul 11, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #57,699 of 103,538
I hope you'll be more aware of what effect that 500+ Head-Fier title under your name can have on new members
I like this comment. It makes me reflect on my own audio journey vis-à-vis head fi.
I find myself in the 500+ category and readily realize most of my early comments regarding gear quality were uninformed as I was new to it all. And I don’t think I’m a whole lot better off now! But I do agree, when I was first reading/posting here, member experience, as indicated by number of posts/likes, did influence me, which I have nothing to complain about. Now that I’m jaded, I recognize the subjectivity of it all, which is not to say some members aren’t more reliable than others, in general, and in relation to my preferences. I think there is a responsibility here which people take in different ways. It’s nice to see someone calmly acknowledge that.

Jul 11, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #57,700 of 103,538
No to ruszamy! Nie daj się łatwo zaimponować IEM w tym przedziale cenowym (100-150 USD) aż do IT01X. W tym przedziale cenowym. wyjątkowo trudno jest znaleźć jakiekolwiek wzorcowe IEM. Wszyscy znamy od 150 USD, śmiało można wymienić np. NM2+, H40 itp. iBasso przybił to tym wydawnictwem. Znakomity.

Recenzja iBasso IT01X

[DOŁĄCZ=pełne]3914320[/DOŁĄCZ]
I really like the vocals in the IT01X - very good midrange.
IMG_20210703_162510.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #57,701 of 103,538
I really like the vocals in the IT01X - very good midrange.
Agreed. I really like how IT01X has ample sub-bass presence but not overpowering the midrange and treble. This is a winner as in this price range, it is almost impossible to find that kind of balance. Highly recommended.

Jul 11, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #57,702 of 103,538
Here we go! Don't get impressed easily by IEMs in this price range (100-150 USD) until the IT01X. In this price range. it is exceptionally hard to find any benchmark IEMs. We all know from 150 USD, one can easily name the likes of NM2+, H40, etc. iBasso nailed it with this release. Brilliant.

iBasso IT01X Review

photo_2021-07-11_13-11-21.jpg
great review, 👍
such an enjoyable read

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #57,705 of 103,538
Uh oh, only after a few days of watching these threads and I already have a list :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::

Pioneer SE-CH9T (old IEM I never got the chance to try)

Whizzer HE03AL

NiceHCK Lofty

KBear Aurora

iBasso IT01X

Reecho SG01 & SG03

Geek Wold GK10

GS Audio GD3A &GD3B
the list will continue to grow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back