The discovery thread!
Dec 8, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #26,911 of 104,396
Well my A83, Singolo, and Mikros are all bass light. Only the Sony's provide quality bass thump and slam, but at the expense of fine details and clear mids, so that's my search right now, sfwalcer. The best of all these worlds.

^
LoL you're talking about DA' ONE here!!!
triportsad.gif

You see there will ALWAYS be something that will bug ya' regarding one gear or another, cuz there just ain't no such thing as perfection. You get great sounding gears like the KEF M200 then their ergonomics is gonna piss ya' off due to the fit and massive nozzle/housing size. You get the Sony H3's with their great sound but then they fit/look like franken bolts sticking outta' your ears with pretty meh isolation. Those A83 seems like it will be a winner sonically then you find out that their fit can be a pain in the arse for a lot of people plus they look kinda ugly to me and in your case seems to be a bit bass lite while others are fine with it. There just ain't no "best of all these worlds" yet sadly cuz there will be one thing or another that will displease you or other for various reasons so........ keep lookin' and discovering for yourself meng until THAT day comes. But you will damn sure know that there will be LOTS of cabbages wasted trying to fine your one. haha

/rant
That's why you gots to keep your standards low meng or else it's gonna REALLY cost ya', and even those nut$$$$o TOTL gears ain't guarantee will be your cup of tea/ perfect in everything for ya'. Oh and keep on selling until you fine yours truly as well cuz ain't no point in keepin' dem ho hos if they ain't sweet no mores to ya' after you had fun with them. : P

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #26,913 of 104,396
Dec 8, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #26,915 of 104,396
I don't know who mochill is directing that to, but /everyone/ should try the a71's lol

plus one    and also the Zero Audio  Bassos.,  if you like den Singles, the Bassios are absolutely worth auditioning!!!
Also the Yamaha Pro 500s are a real sleeper.  after burn in, they have a glorious bass and sound stage and open box
ones are quite reasonable. they really power up well with C5 that you already have HiFiAudiophile and make streaming
music really quite nice.  my favorite middle of the night set up, in fact out of portable devices.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #26,916 of 104,396

plus one    and also the Zero Audio  Bassos.,  if you like den Singles, the Bassios are absolutely worth auditioning!!!
Also the Yamaha Pro 500s are a real sleeper.  after burn in, they have a glorious bass and sound stage and open box
ones are quite reasonable. they really power up well with C5 that you already have HiFiAudiophile and make streaming
music really quite nice.  my favorite middle of the night set up, in fact out of portable devices.

I've heard great things about the Yamahas.... the only thing that puts me off is that a lot of people has reported that it's quite heavy and uncomfortable :[

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #26,917 of 104,396

yeah, its heavy and awkward, but its worth it! you forget that its on
with the glorious soundstage and layering and textures it produces
out of portable devices powered with the C5.... remarkable.
Other noted portable phones, like the Senn Momentums,  etc
are very truncated in presentation compared to those Yammies...
one of the few headphones that makes me forget where i am and
what i am doing with streaming sources like amazon music, etc.
and its blue....

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #26,918 of 104,396
Fiio has always been disappointing. They fail massively with bass quality and quantity.

Their DAPs or amps?  I guess you are not looking for an accurate sound representation?  I personally prefer my sources to be as clean as possible, and than select IEMs to deliver different sound sig.  It gets messy with too many variable in the equation :wink:

Well my A83, Singolo, and Mikros are all bass light. Only the Sony's provide quality bass thump and slam, but at the expense of fine details and clear mids, so that's my search right now, sfwalcer. The best of all these worlds.

If you prefer basshead IEMs (and sounds like v-shape sig?), A83 was not the best choice, I agree.  But in my opinion it's not lacking the quality, but rather boosted quantity.  You probably need one of those JVC HAFX1X xtreme-xplosivs fart cannons!!!

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #26,920 of 104,396

Noble 5/6

I don't know how the Noble 5 sounds but I tried a friends Noble 6 and they were really good. Great bass quality. I'm personally going for the Noble 4, which is said to be bass anemic, but I'm looking forward to the more balanced signature.

FX850 might also be a good IEM for you. I haven't gotten the chance to listening to them but from what I hear they're a real winner. You could also step your game up and get DITA The Answer. I know a few people who have both and it's split even with one half thinking the DITA is a massive improvement and the other saying the DITA is a noticeable but not massive improvement.

If you don't feel like breaking the bank on a new pair of IEM then I would suggest grabbing the ATH-IM70. I was one of the early adopters of that headphone, according to this thread's post history, and I have to say it was definitely worth it. Sadly I had fit issues and could only get a good fit after trying for minutes at a time. Also the stock cable's memory wire is freaking ridiculous to deal with. It has a pretty powerful sound. IIRC Eric & I both agreed that it had a slight V that didn't detract to heavily from the mid-range.

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #26,921 of 104,396
Noble 5/6

I don't know how the Noble 5 sounds but I tried a friends Noble 6 and they were really good. Great bass quality. I'm personally going for the Noble 4, which is said to be bass anemic, but I'm looking forward to the more balanced signature.

FX850 might also be a good IEM for you. I haven't gotten the chance to listening to them but from what I hear they're a real winner. You could also step your game up and get DITA The Answer. I know a few people who have both and it's split even with one half thinking the DITA is a massive improvement and the other saying the DITA is a noticeable but not massive improvement.

If you don't feel like breaking the bank on a new pair of IEM then I would suggest grabbing the ATH-IM70. I was one of the early adopters of that headphone, according to this thread's post history, and I have to say it was definitely worth it. Sadly I had fit issues and could only get a good fit after trying for minutes at a time. Also the stock cable's memory wire is freaking ridiculous to deal with. It has a pretty powerful sound. IIRC Eric & I both agreed that it had a slight V that didn't detract to heavily from the mid-range.

The Answer is a neutral sounding IEM, well balanced across entire frequency range; not sure why you want to group it with bass enhanced headphones.  With DITA it's all about high quality rather than quantity

If you are on a budget go for CKR9, but if you can stretch it - CKR10 is out of this world!!!

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #26,923 of 104,396
  the best bass iem of the recent year i have heard is the

JVC FX850
ASG 2.5
the CKR10
the Sony Z5

Any comparison comments about FX850 vs CRK10?

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #26,924 of 104,396
the FX850 imo have more fluid bass, while the CKR10 is more "surround" like . The vocals of FX850 is again more analog but less formward than the CKR10 , but not by much. The FX850 while having some clarity didnt extend its treble well enough for it to actually sound piercing (which many people often like) , the CKR10 have higher treble "pierce" compared to the FX850 . I would have to say this is fully a matter of taste on whether you liked smooth analog sound or the rather harsh and blocky digital sound

ps:CKR10 tips is changed into JVCs , the ATH tips sucks ass at bringing in treble and bass

Dec 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #26,925 of 104,396
  the FX850 imo have more fluid bass, while the CKR10 is more "surround" like . The vocals of FX850 is again more analog but less formward than the CKR10 , but not by much. The FX850 while having some clarity didnt extend its treble well enough for it to actually sound piercing (which many people often like) , the CKR10 have higher treble "pierce" compared to the FX850 . I would have to say this is fully a matter of taste on whether you liked smooth analog sound or the rather harsh and blocky digital sound

ps:CKR10 tips is changed into JVCs , the ATH tips sucks ass at bringing in treble and bass

Don't have FX850 for comparison, but have CKR9/CKR10 in a review queue; already done with a burn in and ready to start listening soon.  I only had a few minutes before and after burn in so my impression is more like a 5 second observation, and CKR9 sounds smoother at the top and less aggressive and slightly reduced in quantity at the low end in comparison to CKR10 having a more detailed bass with a higher mid-bass impact and upper mids/treble brighter with a higher level of detail retrieval and sounding more like BA rather than dynamic driver (in terms of clarity, don't mean it sounds cold digital).  CKR9 is fantastic, but doing a quick A/B comparison makes them sound a bit veiled next to CKR10.  Doesn't mean CKR9 is veiled, just a relative comparison :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back