The discovery thread!
Sep 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #14,686 of 102,030
Kudos to amazon.com and RHA. RHA stated amazon made a mistake because I ordered the MA750, but amazon stated I ordered the MA750i. So that delayed my shipment. RHA figured it out and told me via email I would be the MA750, but it also had that model listed as unavailable on amazon. So I ended up spending about around $90 for the MA750 (with a gift given to me from amazon). But when the package came in today I'm now seeing that they went ahead and sent me the MA750i. I love when amazon makes up for its mistakes. Makes me a loyal customer by saving me about $40 (although it looks more expensive than its MSRP). Okay, now to delve into the sound.

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #14,687 of 102,030
^ Congrats ericp!!!
beerchug.gif

Can't wait for mo' impressions.
popcorn.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #14,688 of 102,030
  ^ Congrats ericp!!!
beerchug.gif

Can't wait for mo' impressions.
popcorn.gif

All I can say in the first 10 minutes, sf >>>>> ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN! You know, I'm kind of happy and mad at the same time after hearing a slew of the low-tier and mid-tier earphones that have come out this year. Happy about the value for the money spent, but mad because some of these earphones surpass in sound quality so-called top tiers I've spent hundreds of dollars for no more than four years ago. This earphone sounds incredible out of the box. So it and the S2 cost nearly the same price now. To my ears, right now, it has a fuller sound than the S2 (and the S2 is a pretty full sounding earphone). DannyBai I think stated that the S2 is the more neutral of the two. I would agree with that. The MA750i has a richer more refined bass clearly. I have to A/B to get a feel on the treble. S2 may be a bit more spacious (since it is an open earphone), but I think the notes are a bit thicker in the RHA. Both have outstanding clarity for dynamics (but dynamics have jumped that clarity hurdle about a couple of years ago now). The whole sound signature is more refined in the RHA compared to the Fidelio (which has a nice refined too). RHA hands down seems to have the better build quality. Mids are not recessed at all.  Gorgeous sound that expect to come out even more with burn-in. 

Oh, is the bass on par with the M200? Nope. Not at this point to my ears, but it's closer to that level than anything else I can think of that I have in a mid-tier/lower top-tier. I still think the M200 edges it in the mid-tier/almost top tier earphones I own (or have owned). It beats the H-200 handily (yes I typed that). Beautiful full sound. The only universals earphones I have heard that I would say are clearly ahead of the MA750i are the M200 (not by a large margin though), the ASG-2 (quite far above), and my mighty Cardas EM 5813 (which is a top tier that is just like in its own space to my ears right now). Bravo and well done RHA! Oh wow! Great instrument separation! I will be disappointed if the DN-1K can't beat this, but at this point I don't know it can be much better. Then again, it's all in the tuning.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #14,690 of 102,030
It's not easy being green...a green Super Geek, that is (went for the green, though the red was tempting). Bit on the upgrade to the highest power of Geekdom LOL 

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #14,691 of 102,030

All I can say in the first 10 minutes, sf >>>>> ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN! You know, I'm kind of happy and mad at the same time after hearing a slew of the low-tier and mid-tier earphones that have come out this year. Happy about the value for the money spent, but mad because some of these earphones surpass in sound quality so-called top tiers I've spent hundreds of dollars for no more than four years ago. This earphone sounds incredible out of the box. So it and the S2 cost nearly the same price now. To my ears, right now, it has a fuller sound than the S2 (and the S2 is a pretty full sounding earphone). DannyBai I think stated that the S2 is the more neutral of the two. I would agree with that. The MA750i has a richer more refined bass clearly. I have to A/B to get a feel on the treble. S2 may be a bit more spacious (since it is an open earphone), but I think the notes are a bit thicker in the RHA. Both have outstanding clarity for dynamics (but dynamics have jumped that clarity hurdle about a couple of years ago now). The whole sound signature is more refined in the RHA compared to the Fidelio (which has a nice refined too). RHA hands down seems to have the better build quality. Mids are not recessed at all.  Gorgeous sound that expect to come out even more with burn-in. 

Oh, is the bass on par with the M200? Nope. Not at this point to my ears, but it's closer to that level than anything else I can think of that I have in a mid-tier/lower top-tier. I still think the M200 edges it in the mid-tier/almost top tier earphones I own (or have owned). It beats the H-200 handily (yes I typed that). Beautiful full sound. The only universals earphones I have heard that I would say are clearly ahead of the MA750i are the M200 (not by a large margin though), the ASG-2 (quite far above), and my mighty Cardas EM 5813 (which is a top tier that is just like in its own space to my ears right now). Bravo and well done RHA! Oh wow! Great instrument separation! I will be disappointed if the DN-1K can't beat this, but at this point I don't know it can be much better. Then again, it's all in the tuning.

^ great stuff meng, sounds like these are the real dealios fo' sho!!!

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #14,692 of 102,030
So MA750 is better than the H200? How about in detail? Hope you can shed some light on this Eric... Congrats on the IEMs by the way.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #14,693 of 102,030
Got those MA750's in my Amazon cart...the only thing holding up the works is some small item that wants some other small items worth $25 that Amazon ships, otherwise it waits for a big enough order, I suppose. Looking for add ins, but cd's and stuff like that doesn't seem to count.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #14,694 of 102,030
So confused!
Really want the RHA MA750 but read somewhere that RE-400 and GR07 are both edge it in clarity and overall transparency. Was deciding between repurchasing a GR07 BE or just buying RHA MA750 but now I don't know :frowning2:

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #14,695 of 102,030
  So confused!
Really want the RHA MA750 but read somewhere that RE-400 and GR07 are both edge it in clarity and overall transparency. Was deciding between repurchasing a GR07 BE or just buying RHA MA750 but now I don't know :frowning2:

Forgot about the RE-400. There is better clarity in the RE-400 (don't know if that will hold with burn in of the MA750). But the notes are thicker and fuller in the RHA than the RE-4000. I don't think the the clarity and transparency is better in the GR07 (my opinion though). And the bass of the RE-400 is nowhere near the MA750. I wouldn't call the MA750 a basshead audiophile earphone, but it pushes close in that direction. When you take in the entire package (sound, build quality, accessories) the MA750 beats out the RE-400.

So MA750 is better than the H200? How about in detail? Hope you can shed some light on this Eric... Congrats on the IEMs by the way.

Yes. First, please don't think if I say a new earphone I've heard sounds better than one I raved about before means the older one no longer sounds good. The H-200 is still a great sound earphone to me (when I had it. It's sold now). But the H-200 had a spike in its high frequencies that irritated my ears if I just gave it a little volume. It left a ringing-like effect inside my ears (and I don't play my phones super loud). So maybe subconsciously maybe the RHA fits my favorite sound signature too. I hope that hope you understand better d marc0. Someone else might hear the H-200 differently though.  And thank you.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #14,696 of 102,030
I hear micro-details in the MA750i open box, but I think it may be a bit premature to talk about micro details until after some serious burn-in. I don't buy into the thought process that just because an earphone is on the warm side it's less detailed and clear. The Cardas EM8413 is a bit warm sounding, but it has great clarity and is in the top three of one the most micro detailed earphones I've ever heard. The MA750 sounds like a warm old audiophile hi-fi stereo system. This sound is in the vein of the KEF, which I think I would categorize as a British stereophile sound. Similar characteristics of this sound are possessed by the KEFs and even my high-end B&W speakers. it's a bit of a warm but detailed sound.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #14,697 of 102,030

Yes. First, please don't think if I say a new earphone I've heard sounds better than one I raved about before means the older one no longer sounds good. The H-200 is still a great sound earphone to me (when I had it. It's sold now). But the H-200 had a spike in its high frequencies that irritated my ears if I just gave it a little volume. It left a ringing-like effect inside my ears (and I don't play my phones super loud). So maybe subconsciously maybe the RHA fits my favorite sound signature too. I hope that hope you understand better d marc0. Someone else might hear the H-200 differently though.  And thank you.

I do experience that ringing with the H200 but just occasionally with some singers/vocalist. Every time it happens it's always because of someone's high pitch voice, both male and female. So I do understand what you mean. I have almost eradicated the issue though with my filter mod + proper shallow insertion. Accudio app also seems to fix it but I don't know why I still prefer non-EQed sound. Most likely because I want the airy extension that comes with un-EQed sound.

I'm really excited about the MA750... Just waiting for this authorised retailer to get back to me on when they're stocking them. For the meantime I'm looking forward to getting the S2.

Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #14,698 of 102,030

I do experience that ringing with the H200 but just occasionally with some singers/vocalist. Every time it happens it's always because of someone's high pitch voice, both male and female. So I do understand what you mean. I have almost eradicated the issue though with my filter mod + proper shallow insertion. Accudio app also seems to fix it but I don't know why I still prefer non-EQed sound. Most likely because I want the airy extension that comes with un-EQed sound.

I'm really excited about the MA750... Just waiting for this authorised retailer to get back to me on when they're stocking them. For the meantime I'm looking forward to getting the S2.

The S2 is more than capable and a nice sound earphone. When I'm not sneaking my Cardas out of the house, that has been my "go-to" earphone out on public transportation. I think it will have some still competition with the the MA750 now. The Cardas, AS-2, V6, and M200 are mainly "stay-in" earphones for me. I am curious to hear how the Dunu DN-1000 will compete against the the RHA and H-200 in sound. Hopefully I'll know this on Monday.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #14,699 of 102,030

Maybe it's the dreaded 2khz resonance that you're hearing? It's mostly with the "E" vowel in high pitched vocals. Lots of headphones have it. Even the M50 suffers from it quite a bit. Try dropping 2k in an EQ (not Accudio if it's already fixing it) and see if you still hear it.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #14,700 of 102,030
The S2 is more than capable and a nice sound earphone. When I'm not sneaking my Cardas out of the house, that has been my "go-to" earphone out on public transportation. I think it will have some still competition with the the MA750 now. The Cardas, AS-2, V6, and M200 are mainly "stay-in" earphones for me. I am curious to hear how the Dunu DN-1000 will compete against the the RHA and H-200 in sound. Hopefully I'll know this on Monday.

I look forward to your impression on that as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back