The discovery thread!
Sep 15, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #14,311 of 100,020
  Wayne, you bum, you got me downloading concerts again 
deadhorse.gif

Sorry lol! The Ryan Adams one is pretty good though (although based on his dialogue, he seems like a piece of work!).

Sep 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #14,312 of 100,020
Another one of those records, 3 hours, no posts LOL (cheap try at getting my post count to 1000...)

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #14,313 of 100,020
I don't want you to feel alone Doc. And I don`t want you to feel that you should stop your downloading any time soon lol:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644595/official-free-flac-file-music-sharing-thread/90#post_9807370

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #14,314 of 100,020
Ya you know what. Every time I listen to these Deltas I am so impressed. These easily has better dynamics over the previous cheapos..The bass is actually very good on these too not light not heavy just right falls in line with the rest of the sound.

The sound is very satisfactory..The dynamics adjust to the tune and that is one thing I look for in a good iem..Kinda like a little brother of the S2 in sound. Sounds fantastic on the X3.

I have already put in an order for the Delta the moment you made the 1st post about them. My wife would probably be laying claims of it when it finally arrives as she kind of have a liking with the looks and having heard my S2 . Either way, I'll get to use it anyway. Thanks for the write up as I was anticipating to get the VSD1 IF based from your past recommendations, I feel very strongly that I'm gonna be hearing exactly like how you have heard it. Cheers.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #14,316 of 100,020
ok so i've got a bit of spare cash on me, looking at the kef m200 or the aurisonics asg-1.3. i'm leaning to the aurisonics asg-1.3 for the detachable cable, but they are more expensive. which ones should i go for?

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #14,317 of 100,020
  ok so i've got a bit of spare cash on me, looking at the kef m200 or the aurisonics asg-1.3. i'm leaning to the aurisonics asg-1.3 for the detachable cable, but they are more expensive. which ones should i go for?

Wait for the new Sony XBA H3 hybrids. those also have detachable cables and seem to be really good from the early impressions there are on the net :) 

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #14,318 of 100,020

Wait for the new Sony XBA H3 hybrids. those also have detachable cables and seem to be really good from the early impressions there are on the net :) 

do they have good isolation? i need good isolation oh and btw i listen to 90% metal, would they be suitable for that genre?

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #14,319 of 100,020
  do they have good isolation? i need good isolation oh and btw i listen to 90% metal, would they be suitable for that genre?

well, any good headphone should be good for any genre imo. As for isolation, IIRC it should be a bit better than ex1000 but that's not saying much :D just wait a bit more and many more impressions should float in..

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #14,320 of 100,020

well, any good headphone should be good for any genre imo. As for isolation, IIRC it should be a bit better than ex1000 but that's not saying much :D just wait a bit more and many more impressions should float in..

thanks! i 'm still looking at the m200s though. have you heard them?

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #14,322 of 100,020

OK, preliminary impressions, just went for a dogwalk, get much of my best listening quiet nights out with Ozzie. Listened through Fiio X3, to my current favorite/obsession Power Pop band, Valley Lodge. My usual opening disclaimers/caveats: They are both new, both probably need more burn in time (really haven't burned in aside from listening so far-I'm lazy with the burn in process, do it sometimes). Second, some impressions may relate to fit..I have an easier time with the Monster style than the Philips style with the large casing. So here goes:
Build-I'd give this to the S2, feels solid, ceramic, Monster is plastic, don't note anything wrong there, but seems for $300 list, you'd expect more (as you can find them for about $60 now, this isn't such an issue). They both have flat cables and in line mics.
Isolation-Monster by a mile, but by design, as the S2 is semi open, Gratititude is closed. Still, S2 won't do as well in a noisy environment.
Bass-both do nicely, S2 maybe a bit cleaner, more controlled. Gratitude a bit more drive, more bass in amount (fit may play a role here-everyone seems to hear the S2 as very strong in the bass, I've settled on Comply Comfort Plus, but still not sure I've got perfect seal. 
Highs-both have strong high end, smoother on S2 (again, may be partly lack of break in), stronger on the Gratitudes, maybe a bit too strong. In prebreakin stage, some may find Gratitude a bit tizzy, though I like it 
I'd generally say they have different presentations, Gratitude being of the V type, that some love, is exciting, tends to drive the music more, S2 being more balanced all the way through
Both do a nice wide soundstage and imaging, though the S2 clearly does it better-detail/microdetail much easier to hear, open space between instruments clearer, quieter. Gratitude is more efficient, need volume up less than S2. Haven't tried amping yet-S2 may benefit and sound even better with more drive behind it, though colorations of Gratitude may make amping through line out beneficial for the Monster iem, something to try out at some point...
OK, my conclusion? First, I didn't feel any loss of enjoyment going from one to the other, never felt, "this stinks, need to go back to the other", different flavors. Listening to the Monsters now as I write (still going back and forth), fun sound. Just changed over, S2 is more refined. If I was to rate just on total sound (leaving out efficiency, fit, isolation), the S2 is the definite winner at this stage, open, clear, soundstage, detail excellent. I do have to fidget a whole lot to get the S2 to work for me, and the Monster is more comfortable (YMMV, of course, I seem to have more trouble with this than most here). However, the current asking price for the Gratitude, about $60 at many sites, is about half what the S2 generally sells for, and is definitely a good buy (and I should do a burn in to see if the highs smooth out, mids open more).

Thank you Doc, I will probably get my Gratitudes this week. Going by your description they should be a nice addition to my collection
beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #14,323 of 100,020
actually did break down, plugged the Monsters in to my ipod mini, letting them burn a few days (Mini isn't good for much more to my ears), they are a bit rough right now, Philips more refined. Let you know in a few days if anything changes

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #14,324 of 100,020

I don't know too many people who have heard the ASG-1.3, but the M200 is currently the best universal I own sound-wise. Keep in mind, however, that some people with small ears have had fit issues. I think the ASG-2 would beat the M200 in sound, but not by a huge margin. 

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #14,325 of 100,020

I don't know too many people who have heard the ASG-1.3, but the M200 is currently the best universal I own sound-wise. Keep in mind, however, that some people with small ears have had fit issues. I think the ASG-2 would beat the M200 in sound, but not by a huge margin. 

so the m200s would beat the asg-1 in terms of sound? i was looking at the aurisonics cuz of their detachable cable, but if the reliability of the kef's are good enough, as well as their cable, i might as well save 100$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back