The discovery thread!
May 14, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #1,336 of 104,252
Quote:

The CKM77 needed solid burn in before they sound as clean as these FX40s does.. I remember how detailed the sound was the first time i heard the CKM77 and on some tracks the highs were bright and sharp.. Full burn in and they become very clean and now sound great for instrument and vocals. The FX40s only cost $21 and they have that level of sound and that was out of box with no burn in at all.. It is mind blowing. Ya and that would be 1/6th the cost of one CKM77..Mind blowing vlenbo. I did say the FX40 are better than the CKM77. I am gonna do an A/B test after the FX40 are fully burned in to see if my initial thoughts were right. Maybe as soon as tomorrow..

My gosh nuts! I am definately amazed now, makes me want to get it...so bad.....but I will wait a bit longer until your burn in is better than the ckm77. I bet it will be too, damn...this is interesting...tell us how it is and I'll pick it up right away! :D

May 14, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #1,337 of 104,252
The JVC FX40 are a great set. Nice balanced sound. And for the $, they are very good. I have a set of MMDT and did a quick A/B and I would not put the FX40 in front of them but it is very hard to A/B two different sounding IEMs. But when you think of the $150 vs $21... its unreal. I've got high hopes for the FXD80 now. Meanwhile, I just looked in my drawer and saw a pile of headphones! Damn you dsnuts! :wink:

So I'm selling of a bunch of cheap deals.

May 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #1,338 of 104,252
Ok so I am A/bing against my very well burned in CKM77.. The CKM77 does have a wider sound and therefor a touch better instrument separation. But.The highs on the FX40 is not as boosted as the CKM77 therefor sound tuning has better balance over the CKM77. The level of detail on both are astounding. The FX40 has a tad less sharpness to the sounds a bit smoother sounding. I forgot how vivid sound imagery was in the CKM77 but these FX40s are right there with them. The sense of space is a bit better on the CKM77 but again the FX40 does not fall too much behind it is right there..

I knew it the first time I heard the FX40s what earphone they reminded me the most. It happen to be the CKM77..I have a good 30 hours of burn now on the FX40 and the highs are tightening up and the sound is balancing out more so than when I first heard them. So I take back my initial thought of no burn needed. These do need a burn only to polish up the sound they already have. Bass end on hip hop. Both these have almost the exact same level of bass and sub bass. The FX40 does have a better decay in the sub bass department. The CKM77 does have a just a tid more punch in mid bass. but otherwise again very similar in the bass department. While I can't say the FX40 are clear winners here..Unless people had a earphone hub like I do and do A/Bing. What can I say these FX40s have a sound quality that is clearly in the $100 range. I look forward to what you guys have to say about these..

TF10 A/B. Am I the only one that think the mid range can and does get a bit muffly? The mids are more up front and have a more intimate sound all together but at the cost of sounding a smidge muffly on vocals.  These have a wider stage but SQ wise these don't smash the FX40. The mid range is more layed back on the FX40 but sound is cleaner in the mid range as a result. The highs on the FX40 sound more natural to me. The TF10 have almost a digitized highs emphasis that is kinda love it or hate it type of sound. The sounds on a TF10 sound kinda disjointed to my ears. The mid range is again artificial sounding to me. Vocals aren't as smooth as I know they can sound and sound better to my ears even on the FX40s. I know there are many a fans of these earphones but my goodness these earphones are a bit over rated. Lol! There is artificiality to the sounds on the TF10 that unless you hear others that do it much better and or just get used to it people won't be aware of it..I can understand why people like these and such but to me. I would rather listen to my $21 cheapo JVCs.

May 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #1,339 of 104,252
Quote:
The JVC FX40 are a great set. Nice balanced sound. And for the $, they are very good. I have a set of MMDT and did a quick A/B and I would not put the FX40 in front of them but it is very hard to A/B two different sounding IEMs. But when you think of the $150 vs $21... its unreal. I've got high hopes for the FXD80 now. Meanwhile, I just looked in my drawer and saw a pile of headphones! Damn you dsnuts! :wink:

So I'm selling of a bunch of cheap deals.

Hey that's a great collection. Lol!. I would keep all of em. Those would make great gifts for family and friends. I do have to apologize for guys that end up with so many cheapos. but hey it is all about the journey..

I agree that the Tributes are completely different animal..Get used to that clean sound on them FX40s however and then go back and you will be able to tell just how colored the Tributes are. Like I mentioned before though the Tributes are enjoyable in their own right.

May 14, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,340 of 104,252
Quote:
Hey that's a great collection. Lol!. I would keep all of em. Those would make great gifts for family and friends. I do have to apologize for guys that end up with so many cheapos. but hey it is all about the journey..

I agree that the Tributes are completely different animal..Get used to that clean sound on them FX40s however and then go back and you will be able to tell just how colored the Tributes are. Like I mentioned before though the Tributes are enjoyable in their own right.

Ha. No apologies needed. They are all quality phones. I'll hang on to whatever doesn't sell and use them for lawn mowing and what not. It has been great to hear different iems without dropping a pay check.

Tributes are def. colored. But still a fun listen. These FX40s are damn good though.

May 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,342 of 104,252
*sigh* another $21 parted with thanks to Dsnuts.

I'm a big fan of the bass on the SHE3580, so I'm interested to hear how the clarity on the FX40s compares.

I'm doubly excited to hear what the ZO2.3 can do with a "clear" IEM like the FX40 sounds to be. The only thing I've used it with are headphones that have significant colorization (MMDT, SHE3580).

May 14, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #1,343 of 104,252
You know I didn't mention much of the bass end of these but these earphones have almost a crazy secondary sound. What I mean by this. If you listen to bass light tunes it is like the bass end is so polite and not detectable.. Then you throw on some Ti or Lil wayne and what you know. The full on textured bass is all there and then some. Lol! These are weird, abnormal even. Ya another $21 in the drain but these will be some of the best $21 you guys will have ever heard in all of audio land. Even the bass sound clean.

These aren't bass head levels but what is there is very respectable. EDM and Hiphop sound great on these.

May 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #1,344 of 104,252
Are the fx40s going to be mass produced and available everywhere like other models?

What I especially liked about the she3580 is that after looking at this thread, I was able to drive down to target and pick them up. Something I can suggest to my target-going non audiophiles to pick up on a whimper a very reasonable price.

How would you describe the bass in relation to the Philips? The SHE has probably the fullest bass and impact of all my under $200 phones I have (not that many dynamic driver phones).

I found that the burned in mp8320 was very airy, open, and a tad lacking in the low end of bass, but over all balanced. The she3580 has more body but less detail and superb bass.

I really would like to take the two and put them together for about $25. It's a shame it doesn't work that way.

May 14, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #1,345 of 104,252
The SHE3580 does have more bass than the FX40 but clarity and detail the SHE3580 is no where near what is on the FX40. Overall the sound quality is at another level over the SHE3580s. So you are sacrificing less bass for much cleaner more balanced sound vs the SHE3580. The bass is good on the FX40s they are certainly not bass shy. But the Philips earphones do represent the consumer sound and does bass more on their earphones. 

Best bass under $200? I would say the ATH-CKS77. Easily.

May 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,346 of 104,252
Quote:
A group buy would be cool but we have to see how much JVC is gonna charge for their newest first. If my theory is correct. These should be very affordable.

According to Amazon Japan, the FXD 80 are listed at 6,908Yen so ~ $87.50 US. So, it looks like they will be somewhere around $110 from the importers plus another $15 for the shipping. $125- $130 probably. 

May 14, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #1,348 of 104,252
Didn't someone say JVC was claiming FXD to be a level above the FXT line and they're at a cheaper price? Hmmmm. If they do sound better than the FXT90 at a lesser price, JVC has got something figured out for sure. 

May 14, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #1,349 of 104,252
I have had JVC Japan bookemarked for the last three years and they always have listed them according to their projected SQ level. These are cheaper but come with a pouch and not a case and the packaging seems more cost effective. Either they listed them incorrectly or they went cheaper on accs. and better on sound. They may have kept them together since they are a series which could be the case. Possible that the 80 sounds a bit better than the FXT90 while the FXD70/FXD60 don't but they didn't split them up in listing them.

We may be able to speculate better with some FX40 vs. FXT90 comparisons. If the FX40 come too close for comfort vs. the FXT90 sound-wise the FXD80 may be the new choice. And we will know for sure when the FXD80 vs. FXT90 comparisons come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back