The discovery thread!
May 13, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #1,306 of 103,522
Quote:
I should be getting mine on monday, according to USPS.

I carried my mp8320s today, and my ears are a ringing. Was just about to give them to my brother and be done with it, when i got my new C421 in the mail. Turned it on and figured what the heck might as well give the mp8320s a last shot. I'm finally seeing why they got a 7.5. Apparently they just needed some good juice and a burn in. Now i can't wait for the FX40s.

Hey did you burn the MP8320s in any? Just curious and they do need burn in..I would say a good 50 hours at least before they are good.   These new FX40s not so much. I would say a good solid day and nights worth of burn, but I have been plesantly surprised by JVC earphones after burning both the HAFX1X and the FXC51s in.. They change like crazy. .I can't imagine these sounding better than their state at the moment but we will see.. You guys can help me figure out where this sound is gonna land at.

Ya excuse me if these turn out more fantastic than what they already are after a good solid burn period as they only have about a good 15 hours or so. Will report back with any changes during burn in..

May 13, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #1,307 of 103,522
Can you compare the new JVC's to the Isurus a bit?  I bought the Isurus a while back and am still enjoying them a lot.
Also how are they compared to the CKM500's?  Sorry if this was already asked, I flipped through the past couple of pages but not very carefully.

May 13, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #1,308 of 103,522
Quote:
Sound signature is detailed and sweet sounding. Extended clean in every sense of the word on both ends of the spectrum..These will reveal every part of the recording and that is crazy for this price.  I wouldn't say analytical as the bass end is the full flavored version over limp analytical phones. It is funny but if you married the isurus with the she3580 and polished up the overall tuning. Lol! You might get something like these FX40s. I was listening to some black eyed peas and much like the surprising sound as a whole the bass end has weight and a thickness that is almost weird for an earphone this small to have. I think JVC is onto something with these Carbon Nanotubes. I am not kidding when I say these sound almost like there are multiple drivers. Separation of sounds in these earphones just don't happen at this cost. Everything is distinct and clear.

I don't know about reaching 8hz for the low lows but the low end presence certainly has impact and force. For EDM and hiphop I will recommend the CKS77 all day long but these do a great job with bass heavy tunes and trance sounds as good as anything else I have. Where these will shine is for music with instruments and vocals. Jazz, classical, folk, rock, metal anything requiring a pluck of a string or plank of the ivories..Older music sound marvelous on these..Fans of good treble with sparkle are gonna love these. These have about as clean a treble as you would want without poking a hole in your ear drum...

For electronic/trance, Would you say the Isurus offers more bang for buck than CKS77? 
Currently I have the Brainwavz beta v2, and want something more serious, but don't want to spend too much...

May 13, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #1,309 of 103,522
Quote:
Hey did you burn the MP8320s in any? Just curious and they do need burn in..I would say a good 50 hours at least before they are good.   These new FX40s not so much. I would say a good solid day and nights worth of burn, but I have been plesantly surprised by JVC earphones after burning both the HAFX1X and the FXC51s in.. They change like crazy. .I can't imagine these sounding better than their state at the moment but we will see.. You guys can help me figure out where this sound is gonna land at.

Ya excuse me if these turn out more fantastic than what they already are after a good solid burn period as they only have about a good 15 hours or so. Will report back with any changes during burn in..

I have 44 hours or so on them with pink/white noise. They have definitely improved a lot, they sounded about $7 when i got them. Now they sound pretty good, but still grado-ish as far as highs. I noticed that the highs are extremely detailed but sharp, something that sets my tinnitus off instantly. It also seemed extremely distant, spaced out, and definitely missing out some of the low end of the bass. i put some v-moda bass freq tips on (from long ago) and that created a real seal, which improved the body but still far from comfortable. However, with the amp it's a different story all together. before, there was only balance at low volumes, where too low and all you can hear is the treble, and too high the treble is piercing and bright. Right at the middle of my iphone's volume bar is where the treble was tolerable while still getting the low end. The mids (i think) were bad, dave mathew's voice was distant and hollow, and deathcab for cutie lyrics were tinny.
Granted i should probably give my ears a couple of days off and come back to verify, but yeah. Well above the $7-8 i spent. I should probably open the second pair and see how much consistency there is between units.

I really do value non-fatiguing earphones, perhaps more than most. Not only do i have tinnitus, but for whatever reason my tinnitus can be irritated into flaring up, and I am quite sensitive to fatiguing phones. That's why i got rid of my grado 225i, even though i enjoyed their sound quite a bit, i would seriously regret listening to even one song for a period of time afterwards.

May 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #1,310 of 103,522
Quote:
Can you compare the new JVC's to the Isurus a bit?  I bought the Isurus a while back and am still enjoying them a lot.
Also how are they compared to the CKM500's?  Sorry if this was already asked, I flipped through the past couple of pages but not very carefully.

The CKM500 has a highly refined balanced sound that represents the new AT house sound. The CKM500s represent years of AT know how and refinement the best of the best of all the previous CKM earphones with new innovation like longer housing to produce great depth and width of sound. One of the best money can buy at around $80.. That being said. What is shocking is the new JVC HA-FX40 has almost that level of sound for $21. 

The balance of the CKM500 are clean winners here and represent the best mids I have heard from Audio Technica I have heard to date... These HA-FX40s are very similar to the sound level of the older CKM77s which are a less refined version of the CKM500s.  But those cost even now $125..Believe me this level of sound just don't happen at $21..The sound is slightly v in shape but for what is there it is crazy.  How do the HA-FX40 compare to the isurus? 

They don't,  the JVCs are more refined in every single way over the isurus. No harsh sharp highs no crazy sound spikes. The mids on the HA-FX40 is cleaner and more refined as well. Definition is astounding on the new JVCs. The bass end is nothing short of remarkable as well.. Depending on the track the bass end is clearly refined as it will hit every bass note and sub bass note with ease.. About the same amount of impact as the isurus but sub bass definition I will give the nod to these JVCs. Sub bass decay is crazy on these JVCs. Just magic. lol!
Quote:

For electronic/trance, Would you say the Isurus offers more bang for buck than CKS77? 
Currently I have the Brainwavz beta v2, and want something more serious, but don't want to spend too much...

Nothing beats the CKS77 for EDM. Nothing.! Spend the money for a new boxed version. Worth every single dollar you are going to spend on one.  Trust a bother.  If you don't want to spend too much. Try one of these new JVC HA-FX40 but you will have to boost your bass to get the right sound but will pleasantly surprise.

But again.. Nothing beats the CKS77 for EDM..Nothing.
Quote:
I have 44 hours or so on them with pink/white noise. They have definitely improved a lot, they sounded about $7 when i got them. Now they sound pretty good, but still grado-ish as far as highs. I noticed that the highs are extremely detailed but sharp, something that sets my tinnitus off instantly. It also seemed extremely distant, spaced out, and definitely missing out some of the low end of the bass. i put some v-moda bass freq tips on (from long ago) and that created a real seal, which improved the body but still far from comfortable. However, with the amp it's a different story all together. before, there was only balance at low volumes, where too low and all you can hear is the treble, and too high the treble is piercing and bright. Right at the middle of my iphone's volume bar is where the treble was tolerable while still getting the low end. The mids (i think) were bad, dave mathew's voice was distant and hollow, and deathcab for cutie lyrics were tinny.
Granted i should probably give my ears a couple of days off and come back to verify, but yeah. Well above the $7-8 i spent. I should probably open the second pair and see how much consistency there is between units.

I really do value non-fatiguing earphones, perhaps more than most. Not only do i have tinnitus, but for whatever reason my tinnitus can be irritated into flaring up, and I am quite sensitive to fatiguing phones. That's why i got rid of my grado 225i, even though i enjoyed their sound quite a bit, i would seriously regret listening to even one song for a period of time afterwards.

Well I do worry a bit for you as these have clear definition and sparkle in the highs and I don't know if that will translate to your tinnitus acting up but what I would advise you to do first is to burn these in for a good 2 days before you take a listen.. In the future when you want a smooth non fatiguing earphone with a big sound. I will recommend a ATH- CKS77 to you. It is like a super highly refined SHE3580.

Now even though the highs are boosted from neutral the FX40 is not fatiguing in any way. Like I mentioned before I was listening to them all day first time I opened them. These are about as clean as you want your sound without getting sharp or sibilant.

May 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #1,311 of 103,522
Dsnuts, if you like the FX40 that much you need to hear the FXT90. From what I've read you have pretty much described the sound of the sound of the FXT90 (except the FXT90's sound is more expanded with the dual drivers). The technology in the FX40 seems to be the same that was started with the FXT90. Unfortunately, the price of the FXT90 seems to have gone up (I bought it for $114 not including shipping when it first came out. Now it seems to be about $140 to $150 without shipping).

May 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #1,312 of 103,522
Quote:
Dsnuts, if you like the FX40 that much you need to hear the FXT90. From what I've read you have pretty much described the sound of the sound of the FXT90 (except the FXT90's sound is more expanded with the dual drivers). The technology in the FX40 seems to be the same that was started with the FXT90. Unfortunately, the price of the FXT90 seems to have gone up (I bought it for $114 not including shipping when it first came out. Now it seems to be about $140 to $150 without shipping).

I am thinking these FX40s are not gonna have the stage of the FXT90s but perhaps similar sound tuning.. I will have to give them a go but to be honest I am looking forward to their new micro-hd driver FXD80. using the same Carbon nanotube driver material. If these are going to represent their high end version of what these FX40s sound like. Oh man. I can't wait. Oh yea one bit of warning to the guys that get these FX40s. Yes you will probably want to try one of these FXD60,70,80 afterward as well. Lol.

These are supposed to be released in Japan in June. You know looking at that housing. I wonder if you can twist the butt end of them for bass tuning. Just a thought.

May 13, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #1,313 of 103,522
Well they slotted the FXD above the FXT which is a statement for me. They didn't put them below the FXT and above the FXC series. Might be better to go with the new stuff next month.

Anyway someone who has the FXT90 is getting the FX40 and will compare the two. Then we will see the strides they have made.

May 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,314 of 103,522
Yeah, I was only stating what I read about the FX40. The FXD80 could indeed be more refined and better sounding than the FXT90. Who knows. I'm clearly more in the JVC sound signature camp than the ATH group. I will inviest in a pair of FXD80s when they come out...

May 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #1,315 of 103,522
I have been surprised greatly by JVC cheapos in the past but this new driver they are using is something else..Not just AT but every other Japanese manufacturers are gonna have to step up quite a bit once these earphones are out.. I have heard nothing like these FX40s at this cost. It is stupid. I am listening to them now. They are astounding for the little money I spent on these..If I threw these in the ears of you fellas and told you they only cost $21..Lol! 

You know, I don't know if it is me but one observation. I noticed these actually need a tune or two before they sound fuller. It is like the driver needs to be warmed up before they perform to their max sound. What I mean is. It has been cold lately here where I live and on the very first tune I turned on with these FX40s the sound was somewhat boxy. After a few tunes the same tune was just organic and much more fluid. Weird. It could be me getting my morning coffee though and my brain cells reacting to it. Lol!

Another observation. This housing design while compact and smallish is quite surprising. Sounds that come out of this little earphone It is almost like the housing itself is the driver and not just sound coming out of the driver.  That aluminum plating I think has something to do with the immaculate imaging in these but little details seem to come out of no where..The sound is much bigger than what the small design would indicate.

May 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,316 of 103,522
Quote:
Well they slotted the FXD above the FXT which is a statement for me. They didn't put them below the FXT and above the FXC series. Might be better to go with the new stuff next month.

Anyway someone who has the FXT90 is getting the FX40 and will compare the two. Then we will see the strides they have made.

Yeah, the FXD seems to all have metal housings and brass rings over the drivers. That could be a reason they slot higher.

May 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,318 of 103,522
FXD60s

FXD70.  And previous pic was of the FXD80s.  Metal always improve sound. Metal is used for sound dampening. I am wondering just how much of a difference there will be from the FXD60s to the FXD80s. If JVC is gonna clean house I hope they keep the prices reasonable for these. Fingers crossed.

May 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #1,319 of 103,522
Has anyone found a website to buy the JVC HA-FX40 shipped to Australia? Amazon didn't let me chose an Australian address and the eBay ones that do ship to Australia cost $50.

I don't really like the SHE3850's treble since its too harsh and forward and the mids are too recessed. Do the FX40s improve in those areas?

May 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #1,320 of 103,522
Quote:
Has anyone found a website to buy the JVC HA-FX40 shipped to Australia? Amazon didn't let me chose an Australian address and the eBay ones that do ship to Australia cost $50.
I don't really like the SHE3850's treble since its too harsh and forward and the mids are too recessed. Do the FX40s improve in those areas?

Much more clean and refined over the SHE3580 in every way. The sound is on another territory altogether..The FX40 should be released soon to you it seems these have been released for the most part world wide. If you don't see them locally yet, they will sooner than later be available to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back