The discovery thread!
Aug 22, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #13,336 of 103,658
Quote:
Gosh, I've been going through the portable source board... too much to think about. Maybe i'll wait till the ibasso dx50 reviews start rolling in. I'm trying to decide what makes sense here, as it would seem i really aught to step up the source bit of my audio rig. Either I get a good dac and start copying over music onto my laptop and just be satisfied with the iphone for portable use; else get a good sounding hi-fi(ish) DAP and again use the iphone for day to day listening. 

I definitely wouldn't EDC a DAP in addition to my iPhone...

I'm in the same situation, and I've come to a conclusion that DX50 is the way to go for me, unless the reviews are negative...

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #13,337 of 103,658
Oh course, I understand where you're coming from and I agree this will most probably appeal to the "masses" who's into audio gear(should have specified that). But like the video said, most normal consumers just plug their headphones directly into the jack and think that's the best they can do, so if they play they're cards right, they might just attract the right people to expand their buyer base.

I'll hope for that with you. :smile:

Crap. I forgot about the DX50... I can't get both...

Aug 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #13,338 of 103,658
Aug 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #13,339 of 103,658
I know no one has heard it yet but do you guys know if the geek dac will have any bass, or will it be an "audiophile" sound?  I'm guessing since the based it of the davinci it would have some type of similar sound. Was the davinci bassy at all or was it neutral? 

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #13,340 of 103,658
Quote:
Sorry, I couldn't hear you over my 2.2Ghz Snapdragon 800 processor.
tongue.gif

Btw, I already repackaged the S2, like new. Drop me a price and we'll go from there.
wink.gif

+
Quote:
I wans't aware snapdragon chips made noise... The s600 in my phone is pretty damn quiet haha just screwing

But pshhh android lag? Thats so 2012 (i honestly have no clue dont quote me on that lol). Yeah lets not get into an android vs iPhone thing... That never turns out well lol.

PS what the heck are you using a 2.2 ghz phone is pretty ridiculous

= nah was just messin' with ya'. I don't own apple or android, don't like both for numerous reasons. My Nokia N9 with Meego OS lags even with 1gb of ram cuz damn Nokia burned their own platform for evil Windows. What a shame, cuz it's a crazy nice OS just like WebOS even though it's only their 1st/ final edition. Hope Nokia comes to their senses and go back to it later on but i ain't holding my breath.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #13,342 of 103,658
Hi guys!

Has anyone here tried the Apple In-Ears? After reading Rin's analysis on them, I'm quite intrigued and now having second thoughts whether I should get the S2 or the Apple In-Ears. I've searched past threads on them but they don't really provide detailed impressions and comparisons to other good sounding IEMs. Any impressions on those is highly appreciated.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/apple-me186lla-budget-wonder-updated.html?showComment=1377118346900

Cheers!

I had the original version and it was cold and clinical to my ears, with a distinct lack of bass. Not sure if the newer version is improved.

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #13,343 of 103,658
Quote:

I had the original version and it was cold and clinical to my ears, with a distinct lack of bass. Not sure if the newer version is improved.

Thanks for the feedback!
I saw the measurements on innerfidelity and they're quite impressive.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AppleInEar2013.pdf

But coming from a warm signature preference (H200, Basso, and XBA3) I guess I'll be right at home with the S2?

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #13,344 of 103,658
I'm in the same situation, and I've come to a conclusion that DX50 is the way to go for me, unless the reviews are negative...

It appears that the DX50 has the same DAC chip as the fiio x3... And while implementation plays a big part in sound quality, it is my understanding that they would sound pretty similar because of it. Initial reviews of the x3 say that it is only a little better in overall sound quality than the latest iPod nano/classic so I'm not sure if its worth the effort of buying the dx50 as an improvement over the various i devices I have now.

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #13,345 of 103,658

Thanks for the feedback!
I saw the measurements on innerfidelity and they're quite impressive.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AppleInEar2013.pdf

But coming from a warm signature preference (H200, Basso, and XBA3) I guess I'll be right at home with the S2?

The graph does look really good. Perfectly extended on both ends and almost ruler flat below 1k. I'd be curious to hear the new version.

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #13,348 of 103,658
Quote:
It appears that the DX50 has the same DAC chip as the fiio x3... And while implementation plays a big part in sound quality, it is my understanding that they would sound pretty similar because of it. Initial reviews of the x3 say that it is only a little better in overall sound quality than the latest iPod nano/classic so I'm not sure if its worth the effort of buying the dx50 as an improvement over the various i devices I have now.

yeah, but they also said it was mainly the AMP in the x3 that was warm and sounded off for some... also, ibasso house sound is said to be different, so if you'd like to know how the DX50 sounds, refer to the amp/dac offerings with the same dac chip from ibasso... should make more sense than making conclusions based on a DAP from different company. I'm pretty sure that ibasso will sound different from the x3 and the feature set seems to be more user friendly on the dx50 compared to the x3. only time will tell which one is "better", but fortunately for us - we won't have to wait that long to hear from the users :)

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #13,349 of 103,658
Aug 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #13,350 of 103,658
[size=12.222222328186035px]What do you guys think of the ATH-CKS99 and how do they compare to the head phones I have?[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back