The discovery thread!
Apr 26, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #99,871 of 100,767
I probably enjoyed Bonneville more than you did, but agree that the lack of coherency was a dealbreaker (no, I don’t own it).

I get why so many people enjoy it so much, and I do as well - that juicy, athletic bass; the lower mids that pop; the airy, detailed, non-fatiguing treble; the fun, musical presentation. It's like an all-star squad that doesn’t ever really come together as a team - to me it sounds like 2 or maybe even 3 different types of drivers at work, each of them very good at what they do, but the lack of coherence between them, once heard, cannot be unheard.

Yeah XINHS are great to deal with. NiceHCK have been around forever as a budget cable brand, but they recently stepped it up with a bunch of solid $100+ offerings which I posted about here and elsewhere, and I’m starting to pay attention to them once more. I’m sure you’re aware, but don’t buy AE cables unless they’re on sale or you have a voucher. I’ve had great customer service from both.
I feel the same way about the SFR MT300. Each driver comes off as fantastic, especially the punchy and quick bass, but it's really incoherent, because i'm not sure there's a crossover, or if so, it's not a very good one?

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #99,872 of 100,767
For most people better to go black, and weird ones like me want to wear pink IEMs and be fashionable 🤣

1000025227.png
Stunning looking IEMs. Gorgeous shell and colors.

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #99,874 of 100,767
For most people better to go black, and weird ones like me want to wear pink IEMs and be fashionable 🤣

1000025227.png
I am a little confused when CFA referred to this as purple. Well I guess both pink or purple makes some sense to me.

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #99,875 of 100,767
I’m into cable looks, but not that way, I’m more focused on the sound.
Ok, then...stop posting photographs of cables in the "photography" thread...
we are not visiting that thread for listening sessions. :ksc75smile:

Your consciousness says sound...but your subconscious screams...the look! :wink:

Cheers!

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #99,876 of 100,767
I am a little confused when CFA referred to this as purple. Well I guess both pink or purple makes some sense to me.
Depending on lighting it can go from more pink or purple, mix of both is quite correct :100:

Apr 26, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #99,877 of 100,767
I feel the same way about the SFR MT300. Each driver comes off as fantastic, especially the punchy and quick bass, but it's really incoherent, because i'm not sure there's a crossover, or if so, it's not a very good one?
This is what is happening in Bonneville, as I understand they dont use any normal crossover.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #99,878 of 100,767
This is what is happening in Bonneville, as I understand they dont use any crossover.
Where did you find this info? I read from CFA website that they used "phase harmony engineering" to assign different frequency spectrum to different drivers.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #99,879 of 100,767
Thank for the explanation! I was thinking more about the medium impedance and sensitivity of these. The likes of Andromeda is extremely picky. The insensitive ones like Symphonium IEMs can push normal sources (game consoles) to distortion easily.

But yeah, I wonder how much LID works given that U12t still sounds different between sources. In fact (I can feel Phono Phi picking up pitchfork) whenever I hear a difference between cable, it’s almost always the U12t 😂
My two cents (and that is hardly sufficient for any fork) that if different cables can "be heard/distinguished" - then it can be either audiophilically enjoyed all the way or considered to be a deficiency of the chain that to me makes all the sense to correct/avoid.
I do have IEmatch, and it does a great job with the noise, but the tonal changes are often too much (that can be great in some aspects), but I just opted for dead-silent sources for simplicity (and I do the best to avoid IEMs with the impedance below 16 Ohm).

What I would try to use utensils to accentuate/reinforce my point is Simgot E6ML.
A reference under $100?! Really??!!
Either I am totally not getting it, or, perhaps, Simgot gets way too overhyped due to free samples abundantly provided by Linsoul, etc. (??)
Treble-rich?? I bought E6ML as a "timid" IEM, based on several reviews (and 50% discount in one of the Amazon sales).
E6ML is a very good IEM under $50 - safe, solid tuning, a high-level CCA C10, if you will (note the KZ-like connectors not typical to Simgot), but at $100 - not really, in my opinion.
KZ ZAT, Celest Plutus, and Moondrop May (by value) resonated much more with me.
Trio beats E6ML by value left and right!

Definitely, nothing principally wrong with E6ML, just hardly exciting at $100, IMO.

Apr 26, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #99,880 of 100,767
First off I joined the CCA Trio Club
Must be one of the best KZ/CCA models, Like it with tuning switches turned for some extra bass.

DSCF4961.jpg

Then the new KZ ZX10 Pro 2, really dont like this one. Tried play with the switches and cant find a config I like, comes of as overall bright, sibilant and harsh.
Will try and burn it in, test some more tips and maybe impedance adapter :thinking:

DSCF4962.jpg
I've held out on the Trio hype, but am getting the ZS10 PRO 2 in soon... hope I like it! Considering the fact that I like the ZS6 and AS24 and disliked the Symphony somewhat because of the overbearing bass, I think I'll like them, fingers crossed!

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #99,881 of 100,767
For fans of the 9038 series dongle, there's a new E1DA 9039S incoming.

Specs:
ES9039Q2M DAC
2.5 mm balanced only
Low output impedance
Whopping 400 mW power (at 32 ohm, THD 1%)

Unfortunately, seems there is no 4.4 mm or 3.5 mm port, and 2.5 mm cables aren't that popular nowadays?

https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/9038s
Nice!
I am not sure about any neutral ESS- or AKM-based sources (slowly learned to strongly appreciate Cirrus chips).

If one needs crazy warm, noisy/velvet AKM-like ESS implementation - Shanling UA2 is so much that (my first and last Shanling product).

E1DA (I have SG3) is quite neutral, as ESS implementation can be in mid and treble. Bass is a bit enhanced tastefully, IMO.

I hope new E1DA won't have any EM interference, and be less-battery dependent (supercapacitors instead of capacitors, Ivan (?))

2.5 are my preferred cables (thank you, Fiio, and your recent betrayal is bitterly noted); my only 2.5 mm connector failed was one of Penon-impedance adapters, sadly...
The Japanese reception of the TRN ST7 appears to be quite positive overall. Based on the information I found, the general consensus is that it’s a really balanced IEM. Users describe the ST7 as less crisp and bright than the TRN Conch, but more detailed and less warm than the TRN Orca. This suggests that it strikes a middle ground between the two, so the fact that ‘balanced’ seems to be a recurring term makes perfect sense. Additionally, many have pointed out that the ST7 doesn’t exhibit sharp peaks in its frequency response. This means you can crank up the volume without encountering harshness, making it a comfortable choice for extended listening sessions.

As a side note, if you’re receiving the ST7 soon, consider changing the default cable
(the sooner the better). I really think that the stock cable is the weak point of TRN’s offering. I received it alongside the TRN Orca, and let’s just say I wasn’t overly impressed—it undermined the performance of an otherwise really good-sounding IEM.
I have received ST7 today:
20240426_184408.jpg

Will share my impressions later.

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #99,883 of 100,767
I do have IEmatch, and it does a great job with the noise, but the tonal changes are often too much (that can be great in some aspects), but I just opted for dead-silent sources for simplicity (and I do the best to avoid IEMs with the impedance below 16 Ohm).

To be fair, I don’t think LID circuit in 64 Audio (and variants like FLAT in Symphonium IEM) are “built-in impedance adapter” like IEMatch, but to ensure that the impedance curve is flat (rather than going all over the place like Andromeda). Flat impedance = no frequency response shift when pairing with different output impedance.

Some cables do change the requires volume audibly and require to turn volume up or down a few notches to match. I guess the more “transparent” ones (aka lower impedance) are the louder one.

What I would try to use utensils to accentuate/reinforce my point is Simgot E6ML.
A reference under $100?! Really??!!
Either I am totally not getting it, or, perhaps, Simgot gets way too overhyped due to free samples abundantly provided by Linsoul, etc. (??)
Treble-rich?? I bought E6ML as a "timid" IEM, based on several reviews (and 50% discount in one of the Amazon sales).
E6ML is a very good IEM under $50 - safe, solid tuning, a high-level CCA C10, if you will (note the KZ-like connectors not typical to Simgot), but at $100 - not really, in my opinion.
KZ ZAT, Celest Plutus, and Moondrop May (by value) resonated much more with me.
Trio beats E6ML by value left and right!

Definitely, nothing principally wrong with E6ML, just hardly exciting at $100, IMO.

That’s an okay IEM, I guess. I have no strong feeling about it either way. I think simgot is stronger in single DD topology rather than hybrid.

It does sound quite good with their own dongle to compensate for its bright tonality.

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #99,884 of 100,767
Do you happen to know how to manually install GMS? Moondrop says it should be manually installed and it seems it is necessary for some apps to work.

Maybe it’s a part of google play services. Many apps like YouTube does not work unless I install that from APKPure. If it is a lower level driver, which could be the case, then moondrop themselves should help.

Telling you these homebrew Android OS is yanky af 😂. My iBasso cannot stream video from most browsers, except FireFox which uses a different codebase.

Thanks to the Watercooler tour I got to demo my first CFA iem, the Bonneville. For those interested, my review can be found here and on my blog.

PITCHFORK! Hand me my pitchfork!

Just kidding. I can totally get your point about the accessories. It’s ironic that a company with cable maker root like Campfire makes and supply their IEMs with such crappy cables. There are few cables that I actively hate than the stock cable of Andromeda 2020. I rather use an ugly purple cable from NiceHck than dealing with the stock wire that is stiff and hole memory.

Credit where credit dues, I’m thinking about buy that timeslip cable for my Andro. It does not tangle and actually quite comfortable.

And yeah, in Australia, I think this one is overpriced by 500-1000 AUD. At AUD$2300, there are Prestige LTD, Monarch II/III, MEST, and a few other heavyweights lurking in the background.

This has probably been brought up a few times but... What's everyone's favorite after market cable? I had some Tripowin previously but decided to take a flyer on Xinhs. Holy crap, Xinhs are gorgeous in person and really, really freaking good.

Is there any other cable brands I should keep an eye out to expand my IEM jewelry? Without breaking the bank and going up to like Effect Audio? Or is Effect really that worth it?

My favourite cable is whatever cheap but not bad 😂 I have a very soft 16 wire cable from NiceHck that I got for like $5. Worst sounding cable ever. I’m shocked how muffled and muddy my U12t sound. Like “what??? What’s this?”

Where did you find this info? I read from CFA website that they used "phase harmony engineering" to assign different frequency spectrum to different drivers.

I think CFA meant they use physical shape of the 3d printed booth and likely some acoustic filters to physically adjust the frequency response and also to ensure that drivers are in phase. It seems that there is no electronic crossover. I remember watching an interview with Ken Ball where he said he doesn’t want to use resistor because whenever one is introduced sound quality is reduced (to him).

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #99,885 of 100,767
DSC_0202.jpegwe.jpeg

LAVRiCABLES Master Cable V4

1) Reference line. A solid silver core using a teflon jacket for (the possibility) of thwarting radio wave interference, and still AWG 24 silver with 5N purity, along with Mundorf 4% fine silver audio solder.

2) Ultimate line. Different geometry and thickness, offering AWG24 in a Litz configuration along with Mundorf 4% fine silver audio solder.

3) Master line. Mundorf 4% fine silver audio solder, along with a thicker 5N wire, yep a thicker sonic transport device, more wire at AWG22 and different wire geometry.

4) The TOTL Grand line. The purity of 6N along with the Mundorf 4% fine silver audio solder, and of course more wire and a different wire geometry. There is an enormous difference in cost building with 6N wire in contrast to 5N wire.

The AWG (American Wire Gage, sometimes called the Brown & Sharpe wire gauge) system is designed to rate wire thickness and has been used since 1857.

A LOWER AWG number indicates a THICKER wire.

As in use here the Master Cable V4 with use of 4 cores of 5N purity silver AWG22 multistrand litz wire finds itself projecting the vocals forward with the ISN EST50 in a way I have never heard before. Combining that with the HiBy R3 II was a literal walk in the park. Big harmonics, you can now hear the sliding of guitar stings and wonderful full-stage positioning. Though the difference is vocals now are projected into the light. Positioned in the perfect place to gain clarity. Silver also tightened up the bass and went ahead to increase pace.Truly the EST50 is now the best I ever heard it to be. Oh, and if you're wondering how the $179.00 little HiBy R3 II performed, well the M response somehow seems to go with this deeper bass from the EST50? I have roughly 3000 hours on the R3 II as it is one of my burn-in devices. What was surprising was this was all I needed, sure some songs were better than others, yet this style of playback actually due to stage and separation offers a fully involving experience even from poorly recorded music. The reason I’m guessing is not only the stage and separation, but the bass energy and lower midrange going and filling out thiner older recordings. Now the real crazy thing was I liked the Master Cable/EST50 combo better with the HiBy R3II than the Sony WM1A? Why? I’m not totally sure, except the bass was wonderfully striated and owned-up details such as synth and electric bass combo’s occurring at the same frequency only separated by instrument timbre.

As such we owners of the ISN EST50 have often have had a precarious love/hate relationship with the ISN EST50. And truly it is now a way different IEM than when I reviewed it. Mainly due to cable understanding and ways to fully actualize bass detail. While in use (and a sonic value) was the $69.00 Penon Vocal Cable, the Vocal did many of these same summersaults to focus the bass and extend the vocal positioning, though as many know the Vocal Cable is a colored cable and while lovable in the end, is farther from the encountered reality we are now witnessing with the Master Cable V4.

The Master V4 in this set-up comes in at $346.82, though with inclusion or exclusion of build options prices can range from $293.30 to $389.64. That may sound like a lot, but what if you had only one cable and it fully actualized the EST50? You could leave that particular cable on for life.........that is unless you found another IEM a few years down the road and wanted to do a sonic clean-up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back