The discovery thread!
Apr 18, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #99,226 of 100,250
What is really funy original creator of storm loved etymotic er2 se. Simgot ea 1000 is allaround upgrade on er2se but it is v shape and brighter. Ea 1000 is super strong on clarity. Example total eclipse of the heart, freddie barcelona, sarah brightman and boceli.. What is hard to describe is on some songs they are more v shape and on others more flat. They are better when flat.
If ER2SE had bass that was just that last bit extended and treble that was just that bit less choppy it woulda been endgame, and what an endgame it would’ve been at that price.

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #99,228 of 100,250
I have next to me etymotic er2 se, campfire ara and simgot ea 1000. Hardest work was on ara. Must changed tips from fiio fd5 bought fiio lc re pro cable and changed player from astell sr 25 to fiio m11 plus ess. Right now ara are complete allrounder. Ea 1000 is close but it is brighter. Both ara and ea 1000 are significant step from etymotic er2 se.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #99,229 of 100,250
If ER2SE had bass that was just that last bit extended and treble that was just that bit less choppy it woulda been endgame, and what an endgame it would’ve been at that price.
For you is best bought ea 1000 and give some on filters. Changed filters because ea 1000 is like better er 2se closer to er 2 se than ara.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #99,234 of 100,250
I own the three XR's (2/3/4) and since I'm on the road most of the time and need every bit of isolation I can get I use them more often than anything else these days, especially the 4XR. While we could argue about adding some 2(-3)dB below 4-500 Hz, some air on top and a bit more stage depth I really don't miss those extras too much but embrace the outstanding tonal balance, coherency, natural details, clean, non-sibilant treble, dynamics and timbre (especially 2XR) they deliver. No matter what I compare the 2 and 4XR against they are the least colored (most universal) sets I have heard or own - big plus in my book (the 3XR sound a bit warmer but that can be fixed with an impedance adapter (~20-75 Ohm).
Another big plus is that they work just great at my standard lower listening volumes (~60-65 dbA), even in busy environments thanks to the great isolation.
Heck ... I'm still looking for a set of IEMs that significantly beat the 4XR in all departments - no luck so far. (I'm a hopeless sucker for coherency and cohesiveness - hybrids/tribrids/... don't need to apply. YMMV)

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #99,236 of 100,250
Apr 18, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #99,237 of 100,250
I own the three XR's (2/3/4) and since I'm on the road most of the time and need every bit of isolation I can get I use them more often than anything else these days, especially the 4XR. While we could argue about adding some 2(-3)dB below 4-500 Hz, some air on top and a bit more stage depth I really don't miss those extras too much but embrace the outstanding tonal balance, coherency, natural details, clean, non-sibilant treble, dynamics and timbre (especially 2XR) they deliver. No matter what I compare the 2 and 4XR against they are the least colored (most universal) sets I have heard or own - big plus in my book (the 3XR sound a bit warmer but that can be fixed with an impedance adapter (~20-75 Ohm).
Another big plus is that they work just great at my standard lower listening volumes (~60-65 dbA), even in busy environments thanks to the great isolation.
Heck ... I'm still looking for a set of IEMs that significantly beat the 4XR in all departments - no luck so far. (I'm a hopeless sucker for coherency and cohesiveness - hybrids/tribrids/... don't need to apply. YMMV)
I think ara on rc repro cable can. I listen test er4sr. Ara on this cable is unstopable animal. Even more resolved than er4sr warmer thicker better bass better highs more natural stronger on detail more refinement even more coherent, better on dynamism, clarity separation sound bigger and stronger. It is monster.

Apr 18, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #99,238 of 100,250
Here is my yakr on the Liqueur tips.
Nice fit and traction inside the ear. I like the Orange one more because of it's more balanced nature.
Here is my video review.

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #99,239 of 100,250

New graph:​

BA980D75-33D4-4FB8-92B6-4B341C7F94D8.png

PENON VOLTAGE​

4EST+4BA+2DD hybrid Flagship Audiophile In-ear Monitor with 2 Tuning Switches

4 x Sonion Electrostatic for ultra- high frequency
2 x Sonion Balanced Armature for high frequency
2 x Sonion Balanced Armature for middle frequency
2 x 8mm dynamic driver for low frequency
4-way crossover, 4 tubes
Impedance: 13 ohm
Sensitivity: 106dB
Frequency response range: 5Hz~70kHz
Connector: 2Pin 0.78mm
Cable: 4 shares, 100 cores per share, OCC+18K gold-plated OCC hybrid
Plug: Gold-plated copper + carbon fiber plug

Tuning mode:
12: High Frequency & Low Frequency Enhancement
10: Low Frequency Enhancement
02: High Frequency Enhancement
00: Original mode

FC83A9A0-D157-45EF-94D2-C63B4E2822FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #99,240 of 100,250
Am I the only one who's a bit concerned by the rush of models into the market with tuning switches? The fad du jour?

Sure, switches give users more choices for tuning. But I fear that some companies releasing models with switches will get lazy with tuning decisions in the rush to market, thinking: "Ah, f*ck it. Just let the customer rub out that spike or elevate that dip with the switches."

I'm also an avid video gamer, and the dawn of all-online gaming about 20 years ago started an era in which many publishers release half-baked or unfinished games due to market and stock price pressure, knowing they can issue a bunch of post-release patches to fix the game. It's annoying as hell and leads to sloppy coding.

I fear the same with tuning of IEMs with switches by some companies, especially those that churn out new releases like a factory spitting out thousands of shower curtain rings per day. (Ode to Del Griffith of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles!") :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back