The discovery thread!
Jan 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #901 of 105,158
So out of my own curiosity I ended up with a Panasonic HJE450 These have 12.5mm Drivers. 6hz-26khz freq response 102 db/mW 16 ohms I ended up with the white version. So what does these offer for $5 more than the HJE350? $15 more than the HJE180?. Priced at $25 for a reason me thinks. These have a very interesting vented design. I don't know if you guys can see the hole on the top of the stem but that is a bass port.. There is also a sound hole on the bottom of the nozzle for the treble and yet another sound hole on the opposite side of the top hole on the stem for the mids. So panasonic is trying out some micro vented sound enhancement on these.

What they do exactly? Well for one the highs sound like they are detached from the rest of the sound. It is a weird sound and not the type that you can get used to. If you like treble these might appeal to you as the highs are their own entity apart from the rest of the sound. This vent hole on the nozzle makes it so you can hear each high note with as much authority as the bass. This does make it sound like you have multiple speakers in your head.

Some might actually enjoy this multi speaker sound but for me some tunes are not as smooth as I know they can sound on other earphones. This multi speaker sound for trance is a weird one. The highs sometimes seem more high lighted than I want..Vocals when crossing over from a low tone to a high one that is when it gets kinda weird and out of place. I am a self admitted noob when it comes to iems so I can imagine this is as close to a multi driver sound as actually having multi drivers in an iem.

The problem? Compared to the HJE350. These just have too much highs that don't blend well with the rest of the sound. I happen to like my highs but these are a bit too detached sounding to me. On some tunes it sounds great but on others this disjointed highs are more prominent.. But believe it or not. I am actually keeping these as they have a very unique sound.

I happen to like different sounds so for the money it was worth trying out. I can safely say for anyone that wants to try out the Panasonic line the HJE350 has the best sound of all of them. The one area that these HJE450 does better is sound staging. I noticed these bigger driver iems also have with the bigger wider stage. But that is the only true aspect that these HJE450 does do better..

Overall the HJE350 offers the best of build, comfort and good sound for the money These would make perfect gym buds. I did see these out of Japan. The HJE600. $80 sold @ Audiocubes. These use same sized drivers and the exact same build and specs of the HJE450. Which leads me to believe. These are exactly the same as the HJE450.. Just with a fresh coat of paint and numbered higher..Panasonic is guilty of renaming their old stuff with new numbers and reselling them.

Considering these are Japan only earphones they can call them whatever they want but I am willing to bet they are the exact same things as the HJE450.  What Panasonic needs to do is improve on the HJE350 sounds and do away with this sound porting design..Of course that is just my opinion.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #902 of 105,158
New Philips phones.!! YAY.. Philips is introducing a new line of headphones and earphones. These are the earphones. The Philips SHE5105. CitiScape. Will get one when they are released on day one. Jude says the headphone version of these were the best value at $100 at the CES.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #903 of 105,158
Cus I can.! When was the last time you heard this tune.?

Classic?
Oh yea I just did.
. Wut!

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #906 of 105,158
At least I know theres really nothing better than the Isurus for $100. I really like how the Isurus sound so I think I'll just stick with them, or is it really worth it to get the Xeports or soundmagics for EDM listeners.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #907 of 105,158
it's getting really crowded in my "carry all" backpack. I travel with my iems, players, chargers and portable amps. I keep the iems in little plastic containers, you know, the kind you get that have the sweet and sour sauce? Somebody please stop Dsnuts (lol) lo mein tonight or orange chicken?

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #908 of 105,158
At least I know theres really nothing better than the Isurus for $100. I really like how the Isurus sound so I think I'll just stick with them, or is it really worth it to get the Xeports or soundmagics for EDM listeners.

Thanks to Isurus and @Dsnuts, I'll jump in the next month to SM3 V2, thus avoiding the middle range, I'm served with Isurus in this range.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #909 of 105,158

Quote:
...so how do the HJE350 compare directly to the she3580 or the she700?
now I am curious about the panasonics HC55

Good question.

It goes like this.

SQ wise.  SHE9700>SHE3580>HJE350.. The more refined version of the SHE3580 has more body to the music and is more defined than both the other iems.

I like the overall sound of the HJE350 it is an easy smooth sound and perhaps just a bit more defined over the SHE3580.. Where the SHE3580 shines of course is the bottom half of the spectrum. If you like bass heavy tunes. The SHE3580 has the edge as it does for me. I also am a fan of the bolder sound of the SHE3580 over the HJE350. If you like instruments and vocals the HJE350 is a good choice. Truth be told all 3 of these rock your tunes. The sound signature of the HJE350 is indeed a bit different. The Philips phones music has more body and fullness while the Panasonic has a smooth even presentation..I think preference in sound signature would play a big part in which one would be actually better than the other..

Build wise.  HJE350>SHE9700>SHE3580.. The Panasonics has a solid build you can tell these were made with care and the cord has no memory and the least amount of microphonics. This is the reason why I suggest this for the gym. .While the build on the SHE9700 is better than the SHE3580. I am not a fan of how crinkled up the cord still is from when I first opened my package. Then they have a J style cord and a extender cord. The SHE3580 has the most microphonics but I have to admit it has held up nicely. And I have to agree with Joe saying the cord needs a little break in so they get a bit looser. That is indeed the truth.

Comfort wise.. SHE3580>HJE350>SHE9700.. All these will fit everyone as all 3 use smaller drivers but the SHE3580 is clearly the winner here. It's small rounded shape is amazingly comfortable. The HJE350 uses a smaller dish like design shared with the isurus/HJE450 and the like but is a small thin driver so it will not only stay in place while running and such but will be comfy as well. Lastly the SHE9700 is not uncomfy at all but because of its barrel like shape Jupiterknight has told me that he finds himself adjusting it more than the SHE3580 which will stay put for everyone.  But again that is just a minor complaint. All 3 are very comfy and most if not all will not have any issues with fit on them.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #910 of 105,158

Quote:
Did you ever get a replacement for your broken SHE9501 Nuts?  Someone found a JP review site that gets their hands on a lot of headphones.  The 9501 is one of their few "favorites" and it indeed seems to measure very well.

I have a feeling these are the open back version of the SHE3580. The one side that did work correct was bassy just like the SHE3580 but the sound hole on the back end may add some air to the sounds which would actually be a good thing. But if your curious about these I would try n get a SHE9700 instead. I truly doubt these SHE9501s are gonna be better sounding. Also I can tell you these have the worst QC for all Philips phones. If you check out Amazon reviews that is the number one complaint is their build and stuff going wrong on these. There was a reason why one side didn't work on mine. And that was fresh out of the box. I would stay away. If you want another philips phone track down a SHE9700 before all those are gone.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #911 of 105,158

Quote:

Try out a Xeport 5010. I think you will like them..They only cost $15 on their web site. I think they are throwing in a case too. Give them a go. Big bassy and bold. Great value. Different sound than the isurus but for EDM listeners a must try. Bassy as they get but still has mids and highs which seems more difficult for even more pricier bass heavy iems.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #912 of 105,158

Quote:
it's getting really crowded in my "carry all" backpack. I travel with my iems, players, chargers and portable amps. I keep the iems in little plastic containers, you know, the kind you get that have the sweet and sour sauce? Somebody please stop Dsnuts (lol) lo mein tonight or orange chicken?

Lol That is funny.. True story. Back when I was playing a lot of BF2142 my character name. Cr3mOFsmYUNGuy.. My BF3 name is shortened Cr3m.

Hey you can't have enough phones. Hows that new one you just got??
ksc75smile.gif
These are like Doritos. You can't just have one!  Damn guys I just can't stop listening to that last tune.. AVB got it going on!

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #914 of 105,158
Oh boy!! Dsnuts has struck gold again!! I will give him the honors of speaking first on what I'm talking about, but check your inbox soon. Something you found and hipped me too has blown me away!! And yes, thread followers, it's better than the TT (but with a caveat that Dsnuts need to explain to be fair). Wow wow wow!!! Hurry up before head-fiers miss out on a great opportunity. Happy listening...
beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #915 of 105,158
are they cheaper then the TT?

Quote:
Oh boy!! Dsnuts has struck gold again!! I will give him the honors of speaking first on what I'm talking about, but check your inbox soon. Something you found and hipped me too has blown me away!! And yes, thread followers, it's better than the TT (but with a caveat that Dsnuts need to explain to be fair). Wow wow wow!!! Hurry up before head-fiers miss out on a great opportunity. Happy listening...
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back