The discovery thread!
Apr 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #8,986 of 100,438
Quote:
FLAC is amazing! I can hear a difference between that and 320 in my S500s and CKN70s. But I can hear a HUGE difference in speakers.

I rarely listen to my music through speakers (my doggie doesn't approve lol). Through my other gear, I imagine that I can hear a difference now and then, but I'm not really sure if I could pick out which one is which in a blind test. I'll probably go the flac route at some route at some point just to know that I have the best, but I'm not in a hurry.

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #8,987 of 100,438
Quote:
CKN70, burn-in time? What kind of tracks are you running? 
And I am not impressed with the stock tips, any recommendations on something more comfortable? 

I'm thinking 500-600 hours to be complete. About 200-300 hours they will start sounding amaZing though. The Sony hybrids go great with these, I really like the MH1C tips on them as well.
Quote:
Omg better than the S500s?

I find it really hard to believe.

Honestly dude, you need to buy these. Electronic music is unreal.

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #8,988 of 100,438
Quote:
Quote:
What is your view on 320 vs FLAC?

This is my view at the moment.

Quote:
Flac is the way forward if you got unlimited storage.

I have a NAS unit with 2TB drives, and if I were to convert my music to flac, it would be around 600GB. So I could do it, and I may do it down the road. But at least for the moment, "I don't feel a pressing need for flac, especially with the gear and the ears that I have now."

Btw, any recent geko95gek endorsed trance that I should be listening to?

If your music is all lossy now (mp3, etc)  you would need to rip everything to get flac format....there is no way to convert from lossy to lossless!  600gb library could take a while!

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #8,989 of 100,438
Quote:

If your music is all lossy now (mp3, etc)  you would need to rip everything to get flac format....there is no way to convert from lossy to lossless!  600gb library could take a while!

Very true, and I know you would never go from mp3 to flac. I was meaning that if I re-ripped all of my CD's to flac, it would be about 600gb.

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #8,991 of 100,438
Quote:

i will give you something else

can you tell the difference between CD and DVD audio ? :p

I haven't tried comparing them haha. Although I have noticed audio coming from a CD in cda sounds better than FLAC from a digital source. So, if you plug your headphones into a CD player it sounds better than FLAC from my phone.

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #8,992 of 100,438
The ship has landed. Will have something new for ya'll very soon. A little bird has told me it is mightly impressive. More to come very very soon.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #8,993 of 100,438
Quote:
The ship has landed. Will have something new for ya'll very soon. A little bird has told me it is mightly impressive. More to come very very soon.
biggrin.gif

I hope it's not too expensive!

Apr 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #8,997 of 100,438
Quote:
Quote:

Very true, and I know you would never go from mp3 to flac. I was meaning that if I re-ripped all of my CD's to flac, it would be about 600gb.

A few months ago I thought I could convert my Amazon.com downloads to flac.....all that did was put more air into the file size.  Since then I only do Studio Master downloads, 24/96 flac, or back to buying CD's.  I had to redownload everything from the Cloud player to get MP3 files back, ended up saving 150GB of hard drive space.  The Amazon downloads are pretty good until you get a higher end DAC and Amp, better headphones, and wire upgrades.....at that point you can really tell the difference in the lower bitrate lossy stuff and flac.  24/96 Studio Masters is where I am going moving forward, recordings will tell you how goodl your gears really are!

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #8,998 of 100,438
Quote:
I haven't tried comparing them haha. Although I have noticed audio coming from a CD in cda sounds better than FLAC from a digital source. So, if you plug your headphones into a CD player it sounds better than FLAC from my phone.

this cannot be the digital file. flac and CD are one and the same since flac is lossless. therefore it depends on the source.
and you can compare them bit by bit (flac and cda i mean)

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #8,999 of 100,438
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Ok, you posted that almost 2 hours ago. What is your definition of "very very soon" lol!

Apr 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #9,000 of 100,438
Quote:

this cannot be the digital file. flac and CD are one and the same since flac is lossless. therefore it depends on the source.
and you can compare them bit by bit (flac and cda i mean)

I know, but when the data is being pulled off of a CD it sounds better than being pulled from a file. It's like it's more full or something. I know they're the same, that's why all my files are FLAC and not WAV xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back