The discovery thread!
Apr 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #8,807 of 100,639
Quote:

Let's see.. you have the AD900X, so that is very good. The WS99's compliment the AD900X perfectly - you get two distinctly different yet awesome sounding headphones, and between the two of them you are set for all types of music.

The WS99's are definitely more of a closed sound relative to the AD900X's. They have a very nice soundstage, but nothing like the AD900X's (which are very airy and expansive). With the 99's, you get a ridiculously amazing bass, an overall warmer sound, with a treble that is not too bright. They are very nicely balanced, and have a beautiful lush signature. They are of course not as airy or with the same imaging or expansiveness as the ad900x's. For me, the WS99's excel at electronic/modern bass oriented music, and the AD900X's excel at rock and acoustic etc.

The CKS1000's seem kind of like a hybrid of the AD900X and the WS99 to me. The way they handle the bass is very much like 99's, and the mids are perfect (neither recessed or forward), and the treble is sparkly and energetic. They are very open and airy, with with very wide/deep soundstage, wonderful layering and instrument separation and imaging (like I haven't heard in an iem before). The overall effect is that they bring everything to life and you're immersed by the music. So far they have sounded absolutely amazing with all of the genres that I listen to (mainly electronic, rock, prog rock, pop, korean rap :) etc). So for me the 1K's are the better all-rounders.

If you didn't have the AD900X, I'd probably be recommending for you to get the CKS1000 over the WS99 first. But because you have the AD900X, it's a more difficult decision, because I think that you would love either one. One thing you could consider doing would be to get a cheap but good amp such as the E11 for about $40 to give your ad900x a bit more body and fullness in the low end, and they could easily satisfy your "headphone fix" for a while, and also get the CKS1000 to satisfy your iem fix. Then get the WS99's down the road a bit to complete the trifecta. Just a thought.

If you are looking for a DAC, I am still incredibly happy with the $20 ELE DAC. In fact, the ELE DAC plus E11 is a great cheapo combo.

I called the site I was planning to order the WS99 from and they still had no ETA for more to be restocked after 3 weeks, so I pulled the trigger on the CKS1000. Looks like my impatience got the better of me haha. Thanks wayne and dsnuts for all the input though! It's been really helpful. Can't wait to hear how these sound :)

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #8,808 of 100,639
Quote:
I called the site I was planning to order the WS99 from and they still had no ETA for more to be restocked after 3 weeks, so I pulled the trigger on the CKS1000. Looks like my impatience got the better of me haha. Thanks wayne and dsnuts for all the input though! It's been really helpful. Can't wait to hear how these sound :)

Awesome! Mine had at least 150 hours of burn in on them already when I got them, but it may have been more, and they were wonderful at that point. Dsnuts and ericp10 both mentioned how the sound changed fairly dramatically with burn in, so I think that you would be wise to throw them on the burner and consider 200 hours of burn in to be where you really want to form your opinion of them (and start getting blown away by them :)

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #8,809 of 100,639
Quote:

Awesome! Mine had at least 150 hours of burn in on them already when I got them, but it may have been more, and they were wonderful at that point. Dsnuts and ericp10 both mentioned how the sound changed fairly dramatically with burn in, so I think that you would be wise to throw them on the burner and consider 200 hours of burn in to be where you really want to form your opinion of them (and start getting blown away by them :)

Yeah I'm a total believer in burn-in, my AD900X completely changed after cooking it for a week so I know I can't judge them too quickly. Really hoping I find these to utterly destroy my CKM500 though :D

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #8,810 of 100,639
Quote:
Hi waynes, mind letting me know if the C&C BH carries a specific sound signature of it's own. Is it a warm or cold sounding amp? Many thanks.

If you haven't already seen the C&C BH thread, here it is.

I find that the C&C BH brightens things up a bit, adds a bit of detail in the treble region, and also tends to open up the soundstage (especially when using the SF switch). Where I find it to be perfect is with a more neutral or darker source. For instance, the Clip Zip is fairly neutral, but with the C&C BH, the sound really opens up more resolution is added. So, I find the Clip Zip + C&C BH pairing perfect for my WS99's or CKS1000's (but not with my AD900X's because they have this thing for the Fiio E12 lol).

With a source like the ELE DAC which is already a bit brighter, the Fiio E12 pairs very well because the combination is fairly neutral, and the E12 adds a bunch of power and refinement. And the sub-bass boost of the version 1 E12 that I have is very cool and works very well with all of my headphones and iems. The WS99's sound amazing off of the ELE DAC + E12 with the bass boost off or on. Having said that, the WS99's also sound amazing off of the ELE DAC + C&C BH. Because the WS99's are a bit warmer to begin with, they don't get too bright for me with the ELE DAC + C&C BH combo (whereas I think that headphones that are brighter to begin with would). Also, the C&C's SF switch which widens the soundstage works well with the WS99's. It would be difficult at this point for me to say which amp I like better with the WS99's off of the ELE DAC.

The amp for my AD900X's is the E12 (v1). For some reason, that pairing is just amazing, and the sound is just less coherent or refined when the AD900X's are paired with the C&C BH. It's not that they sound bad with the C&C BH, it's just that they sound perfect with the E12.

My CKS1000's are not as picky though about which amp I use off of the ELE DAC or the Clip Zip - sounds amazing with everything.

I never really intended on having two portable amps, but as you can see, it has become complicated for me lol. So, I'm happily stuck with them both. I find the E12 really isn't all that portable anyway, so it happily sits on my desk, usually attached to the ELE DAC (or used when I watch TV with the AD900X's). Whereas the C&C BH is quite small and portable and has that ridiculous 80 hour batter life and it pairs very well with the Clip Zip, so it's usually dual locked with the clip zip and ready to go.

Apr 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #8,811 of 100,639
Does anyone know anything about the JBL J33i? When it comes to speakers JBL has my favorite sound signature, so I figure I would like their IEMs as well. I really wanna try them, but I already have the CKN70s.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #8,814 of 100,639
Hi wayne, appreciate your thoughts with regards to the C&C BH. Will take some time to go thru the thread you have linked. In the meantime, do you feels that the brightness you have observed would causes sibilant or could it helps to smooth out the highs.

Many thanks.

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #8,815 of 100,639
Quote:
Hi wayne, appreciate your thoughts with regards to the C&C BH. Will take some time to go thru the thread you have linked. In the meantime, do you feels that the brightness you have observed would causes sibilant or could it helps to smooth out the highs.

Many thanks.

If your source or your headphones/iems are bright, then you'll have to think a bit about sibilance with the C&C. It was a concern of mine when pairing with the ELE DAC because I am fairly sensitive to bright treble, and the ELE DAC already adds some brightness. But in reality, it hasn't proved to be an issue because the headphones and iems that I'm using are not sibilant to begin with. Overall, I am thrilled with the C&C BH. It adds detail, resolution, and soundstage. It's 80 hour battery life alone makes it seem like it never needs to be charged. It's LF bass boost switch is still a bit of a mystery to me, but I like it (depending on the headphones and music). It's SF switch is like vodoo how it increases the soundstage, especially for live recordings. And it is quite small (smaller than the E11). Pair the C&C with a neutral to warm source or headphones, and it is friggin amazing. So yeah, the C&C BH is a keeper in my books.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #8,818 of 100,639
Quote:
Don't buy an amp just upgrade your source and get the colorfly c3 or the highsoundaudio n1,n3 and you'll be good without an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure you've got all of them
wink.gif
    ...so which of the 3 would you recommend ?

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #8,819 of 100,639
Fiio X3 might end up having meaning also.

Apr 23, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #8,820 of 100,639
I wasn't sure if I liked the CKN70s more than the S500s. I knew it was inevitable, but it wasn't evident until about 15 minutes ago. I was listening to my music on shuffle through my phone and these songs came up right after another:

I have a new favorite pair of headphones. Yes, I'm comparing IEMs to supra-aural headphones. If you like dubstep check this out (This was the first album by Skrillex that I liked):

If you didn't listen to those songs through the CKN70s you're missing out. I wish I could hear them in the WS99s...

If any of you have an ELE plug your CKN70s into it, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back