The discovery thread!
Sep 7, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #86,027 of 104,027
Though TRN pretty much matched the price of the old 8BA earphone and supplied 2X the drivers. :)

Edit:
I really wonder if the wholesale cost of BAs has gone down, because the are a lot of em everywhere this year?
A conspiracy of the trade to use over produced BA drivers! BAs for all! Until we decide to switch!

Sep 7, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #86,028 of 104,027
If this image to be believed in,

Then TRN is mostly using older BAs (or they are "updated/custom" version or basically old unit with dampers)
this promo image is curiously missing from the the new marketing materials

and its replaced with this image of nondescript BAs instead (and only descriptive BAs "low freq BA" without driver series number)

and yeah no mention of DLP sound tube shell, just "aviation grade aluminium-magnesium shell."
---
while TRN have advantages of "Moar drivers~!", both AS24 and Kumo uses new gen driver who are supposedly better performing + DLP soundtube shells.
well, i guess its depend on the application and tuning.
Given all the discussion... (I am not sure such TRN products are much worth discussing), but here we are:
The cost of old 30095 is definitely below $2, likely close to $1 now that they are old-stock (their price is estimated based on the cost of DDs and simple hybrids with 30095).

Now, take AS16 pro at $45, add 16 30095 at below $2 - the total cost is under $75.
Multiply it by 3 or so for MRSP, some still buy it at the novelty, prompted by hype of promoters.
Then discount at 50% - still highly profitable.
Lastly, do a fire sale at 33-35%, still above the cost.

The same was the case with BA15.
I could not help picking it up at $90-something (from original $200-250), do not ask why...
I consider BA15 with its two 30095 in the nozzle - a shouty beast that I call ZSN+. I do like how it can render some string quartets as a special IEM. Is it a competitive $50-$100 IEM currently- not really.
I am not sure what is different with BA16 - the same BAs are in the nozzles for all the sizzles.

I call BA15: 1-2-3-4-5. The last 5 are 30095 that are not in the nozzle that are most likely largely structural support elements. There are quite a few DD+4BA IEM with 30095 mounted far from the nozzle, and they have really "gentle" sound of 30095 not largely getting through...

Also to add: TRN is the company producing the most ridiculuos all-BA IEM that I ever encountered - X6. X7 are not that far, and no - no improvement with burning "for the treble"- I "burned" X7 and BA15 in parallel to exclude the bias.
Incidentally, my first prominent encounter of cable BS was with X6, where it was claimed that proper cables are needed to improve X6 sound.

Then no matter how ridiculuous IEM is there always will be promoters and positive reviews (a simple definitive law of free samples).

I agree TRN IEMs are really great for parts (then for me, some good KZ sell-outs supplied me with all BAs to some day build my own monstrous 100+BA super IEM for the targeted MSRP of $1234.56 :))

Sep 7, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #86,030 of 104,027
Hidizs super confident with their MP145, seems like they sent a demo unit to a crap ton of people.
Hype , marketing train is what Hidizs does best -tuning a far forth or last on priority list.

Sep 7, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #86,031 of 104,027
Hype , marketing train is what Hidizs does best -tuning a far forth or last on priority list.
I haven't read or seen a review that I trust that makes me want to buy one. I mean I'd try one on a tour, but it's hard to want to pay good money for it.

Sep 7, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #86,032 of 104,027
True, but I honestly have good hopes for the MP145 unlike everything else I've seen come from them so far.

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #86,034 of 104,027
Sep 7, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #86,035 of 104,027
I haven't read or seen a review that I trust that makes me want to buy one. I mean I'd try one on a tour, but it's hard to want to pay good money for it.
I went through thier vetting and whole process to get the MS5 and the emails and marketing pressure to write good review tuned me off so completely on this brand. They go even so far as to offer how to write your review and if you don't like the product to NOT review it.

When I tried to dump my Sample , my fault because I wanted nothing to do with them and they ran a smear compain against me.
Learned my lessen to never sell a sample.
That was a first and last experience. Now I give them away or send away on tour.
Funny thing was it was so badly designed without a driver vent and has a such a wonky tuning nobody wanted to touch it.
In the end I gave mine away.

Next up Hidizs got caught editing and changing the narrative on people's written reviews and reposting. NymPhonomaniac was one I personally saw the edited and original. Not cool very slimey actually.

How come nobody it talking about having a established company run a "KICKSTARTER" Campain on a IEM in production that's not how it works.
That's how marketing works!

SeeAudio/ Tangzu and "drivergate" are no better yet people forget and forgive way too fast.
We need to hold theese companies accountable!

KZ OMG the appitamy of scandle and flinging crap to deflect. Look at the PR2 / HBB

"ChiFi"

There are wonderful companies doing stuff behind the scenes also.
Simgot and it's tunings and service are exemplary. Hisenior is also another company to keep a lookout for , one of the few who actually listen to reviewers and the public alike to make running changes and tuning. simply wonderful to see in the hobby and the reason I keep going.
TDM

Sep 7, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #86,036 of 104,027
I went through thier vetting and whole process to get the MS5 and the emails and marketing pressure to write good review tuned me off so completely on this brand. They go even so far as to offer how to write your review and if you don't like the product to NOT review it.

When I tried to dump my Sample , my fault because I wanted nothing to do with them and they ran a smear compain against me.
Learned my lessen to never sell a sample.
That was a first and last experience. Now I give them away or send away on tour.
Funny thing was it was so badly designed without a driver vent and has a such a wonky tuning nobody wanted to touch it.
In the end I gave mine away.

Next up Hidizs got caught editing and changing the narrative on people's written reviews and reposting. NymPhonomaniac was one I personally saw the edited and original. Not cool very slimey actually.

How come nobody it talking about having a established company run a "KICKSTARTER" Campain on a IEM in production that's not how it works.
That's how marketing works!

SeeAudio/ Tangzu and "drivergate" are no better yet people forget and forgive way too fast.
We need to hold theese companies accountable!

KZ OMG the appitamy of scandle and flinging crap to deflect. Look at the PR2 / HBB

"ChiFi"

There are wonderful companies doing stuff behind the scenes also.
Simgot and it's tunings and service are exemplary. Hisenior is also another company to keep a lookout for , one of the few who actually listen to reviewers and the public alike to make running changes and tuning. simply wonderful to see in the hobby and the reason I keep going.
TDM
Monk, you're a treasure with a story to tell. Without integrity we are nothing, you gotta like or not like what you like or don't.

Sep 7, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #86,037 of 104,027
iBasso PB5 product 2

370616630_696748042496398_5896620010416889045_n.jpg

Sep 7, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #86,039 of 104,027
Are you SURE that these are genuine audio products by virtue of acoustic desirability. Not just being charged to your "Audiophile" account to offset the other expensive crap (er, gear I mean, I lapsed into WIFE101 lingo)
you have been accumulating? :thinking:
The "audiophile" part was to avoid post deletion. Trust me I was supposed to describe the sheet's audio attributes :smile::smile:

Sep 7, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #86,040 of 104,027
I personally can't wait to see the dac/amp segment to grow and get life pumped into it.
DAP are truly limited by their screen, needing to power it, ensuring this noisy led screen don't interfere with your output stage.
Removing that restriction and power demand allows for more space for further enhancements.

1-bit PWD-DAC paired with a tablet acting as end point for Hqplayer, which is upsampling all to DSD, now that is something wort getting excited about.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back