The discovery thread!
Nov 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #5,221 of 100,490
You bring up a good point. It is somewhat of a gamble getting units from china it seems. That charge to send stuff back is a killer. I am sure it wont cost as much for other units but this AUNE T1 was on the heavy side made of all aluminum and such which didn't help in sending back.. But you know you can't find great gems without some risk involved I suppose. My curiosity got the best of me. I try n get stuff from Amazon first but many of these newer Chinese made dac/amps are only sold on ebay..Even if sold on Amazon it is the same companies just selling them on Amazon so not all that different in the whole return process as they are 3rd party vendors from China.

I had 2 tubes for the Aune T1 and the shouty nature was still very evident. The stock tube did a better job in curbing the brightness but I kept on listening to it and I found myself fatigued again..I did burn the unit in as in just running music through it using my laptop for over 24 hours straight. I am pretty sure there was something not right about it..Buying stuff unseen and untested is a gamble but hey call me an adventurist. I don't see US manufacturers making something like an ELe dac for $18. If so I would have bought one to try out..

It is a choice all of us gotta make. Go with a well established product that is easy to return or take a bit of a risk for something over seas. I am testing the ebay waters I suppose..You guys should try this. You will be surprised just how many DACs there are on ebay. Type in the word DAC and you will get almost a limitless choice. I had no idea there was that many different kinds using different configurations.. We spend a craptacular amount of cash for better sound and all these I am sure great sounding dac/amps are sitting there on the bay just waiting for folks to discover them. Risky yes but so far I don't regret my experience one bit.

Now I don't plan on making this thread all about cheap made in china dac/amps as you guys should know I am all about my earphones and headphones. But It seems to me many people I know at headfi have never tried an external sound card to get better sound. Something like that Ele dac is a no brainer imo as it gives out a much better sound and is not too much of a risk compared to getting a $200 unit...

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #5,222 of 100,490
i think the question was more to the tune of basis of comparison.  You said yourself that a you are new to the world of dacs and external amps etc so would it not be wise to have at least one recognized brand cheap dac (as mentioned the E10) with which to form some basis of comparison?  Otherwise its just a game of this chinese dac sounds great (and to yourself it may) with no basis of comparison among other things.  Now if you compared to the e10 (or other similar more "mainstream" choices) and said the ele or other is comparable or prefered then that statement would have more weight behind it.

Also iv had the toppin d1 and its nothing to rave about.  However one amp that I did really like that some may want to look into is the c&c amps, they sound pretty decent for sub £100 amps.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #5,223 of 100,490
As a direct comparison. Something I have used for years is my Titanium HD with the Burr brown PCM1794. I know its sound like the back of my hand cus I listen to it for years day in and day out. When I got the Ele dac how surprised was I when the sound was just as good.. In fact I didn't find anything on the Ele dac that was lacking to my ears..This was the reason why I posted the dac as a headliner.. I know what my ears tell me and this dac is crazy good for the cost. Which in the whole scheme of things cost almost nothing to try out well $18.. Yes I am new to dac/ amps myself and that is perhaps why I enjoy finding these unknowns..I could have easily tried out a E10 or anything else that was already around. But like I mentioned before I am testing some unknowns out as there has to be something to all these units. Why would someone come up with them if they didn't do something was my thought. Now I have a better idea just how much and I am just sharing my experiences with you all..

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #5,225 of 100,490
I apologize to you Alberto as I told you I would test it out a long time ago.. The answer is Yes.

I put the same tip I have on my XB90 a much wider one. I believe it is a Meelec tip. Wider tip seems to even out the upper mids to the highs much better than the stock tip. The stock tip was pushing the mids a bit forward. Try changing to a wider tip..Lol This is new to me too. After owning this for all this time..

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #5,226 of 100,490
Quote:
You bring up a good point. It is somewhat of a gamble getting units from china it seems. That charge to send stuff back is a killer. I am sure it wont cost as much for other units but this AUNE T1 was on the heavy side made of all aluminum and such which didn't help in sending back.. But you know you can't find great gems without some risk involved I suppose. My curiosity got the best of me. I try n get stuff from Amazon first but many of these newer Chinese made dac/amps are only sold on ebay..Even if sold on Amazon it is the same companies just selling them on Amazon so not all that different in the whole return process as they are 3rd party vendors from China.

I had 2 tubes for the Aune T1 and the shouty nature was still very evident. The stock tube did a better job in curbing the brightness but I kept on listening to it and I found myself fatigued again..I did burn the unit in as in just running music through it using my laptop for over 24 hours straight. I am pretty sure there was something not right about it..Buying stuff unseen and untested is a gamble but hey call me an adventurist. I don't see US manufacturers making something like an ELe dac for $18. If so I would have bought one to try out..

It is a choice all of us gotta make. Go with a well established product that is easy to return or take a bit of a risk for something over seas. I am testing the ebay waters I suppose..You guys should try this. You will be surprised just how many DACs there are on ebay. Type in the word DAC and you will get almost a limitless choice. I had no idea there was that many different kinds using different configurations.. We spend a craptacular amount of cash for better sound and all these I am sure great sounding dac/amps are sitting there on the bay just waiting for folks to discover them. Risky yes but so far I don't regret my experience one bit.

Now I don't plan on making this thread all about cheap made in china dac/amps as you guys should know I am all about my earphones and headphones. But It seems to me many people I know at headfi have never tried an external sound card to get better sound. Something like that Ele dac is a no brainer imo as it gives out a much better sound and is not too much of a risk compared to getting a $200 unit...

One last point, you seemed to have thought differently about the T1 out of the box. It must have gotten worse with use/burn-in. This is what you said about it early on (see below), from the T1 thread. Just sort of surprised me when you say it sounded fatiguing and "shouty" because that seems so different from what others have heard from the T1. Guess your initial impression changed. Here is what you said:

Yup this one is a keeper. I was thinking if these didn't sound as good as my Fire Phoenix I was gonna return them to try another one but not so..I can see me using this set up for a while until I get another itch that is. But for now I am glad your enthusiastic OP got me to throw the cash for these. At first I didn't know what DAC chip they was using. Turns out to be a burr brown PCM1793..

Funny thing is I have a burr brown PCM1794 in my Titanium HD card.. This T1 sounds better in every way to it though.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #5,227 of 100,490
Quote:
I apologize to you Alberto as I told you I would test it out a long time ago.. The answer is Yes.

I put the same tip I have on my XB90 a much wider one. I believe it is a Meelec tip. Wider tip seems to even out the upper mids to the highs much better than the stock tip. The stock tip was pushing the mids a bit forward. Try changing to a wider tip..Lol This is new to me too. After owning this for all this time..

Thank you!

Where did you get those tips?  Can you give me a link of the product I am supposed to get?

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #5,228 of 100,490
It did sound good to me at the time it was clean and fresh sounding perhaps a bit of the new toy syndrome. I didn't mention the brightness as I thought it would dissipate with burn in. Unfortunately it didn't. This is what I posted. I did like the sound but it wasn't until I started analyse it a bit more using my HD595 that it started fatiguing me..

I can definitely tell the potential for a great sounding unit. I liked the mids a lot on the sound. But the peakiness just got to me..I remember messaging Danny about the sound on this unit as he was interested in this one too but. That brightness never dissipated. No matter if I used a different tube or kept on using it. It chipped away at my thoughts about it. Everything sounded great until the brightness/ peakiness started to chip away at the great sound I was hearing.

Quote:
Sorry Ds, cant read so many pages.
Whats the Price? 

Thanks

This one is a bit spendy over the others but right now. I would say it was well worth the money. $200. But and I say but. I know better to reserve judgement until everything is broken in. So far.. impressed.. The sound is easily at a nice high quality level.

These tubes need a burn in as much as the components. I can tell everything is not quite 100% as the sound initially was somewhat hard sounding. Best way to describe and a tad on the bright side. But even now the sound is smoothing out. Vocals already sound liquid..Testing bass. Sounds full clean very much textured using my UE6000..I can tell this will overtake the Fire Phoenix already in SQ even at an early stage as the sound is already comparable.  Also very powerful. 3 gain settings will drive any can. Big external power brick is a good indicator.  Now I understand why AUNE will not budge on the price of these..Now I can see why there were some hoopla over this T1s online.

I am very much surprised headfiers have not looked at this little unit..I think for the cost this has to be one of the best sounds that I have heard to date.

This is what I posted to Danny when I got the unit..

What kinda caught me off guard a bit is this unit has a brighter signature than the bravo and the fire phoenix. Using my HD595. But I think it is because of how new the unit is. The tube needs burn in the components need burn in.. The sound is comparable to the fire phoenix but I want it to be better than the fire phoenix. Perhaps in a weeks worth of use. If it is the same SQ and don't improve much. I will send it back. But if it improves even just a little it will be a keeper. My fire phoenix for being $90 is a fantastic sounding unit.. And so far my favorite. This T1 is at a very similar level in SQ but this cost 2X as much if you know what I mean. I have to try the stock tube they threw in there too as I read that this unit was made for that tube specifically. It turns out the guy that advised this voskhod tube is the admin for rock grotto a UK based headphone enthusiast site.. I can understand how this tube could be a good match for a grotto but for the cans I am using I might have to try the stock tube tomorrow.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #5,229 of 100,490
Quote:
Thank you!

Where did you get those tips?  Can you give me a link of the product I am supposed to get?

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts6-cmb-35-bk.htm   Meelec used to have a variety pack. I don't know if this is it or not. but I bought a big variety pack that these tips came with.

You know just looking at these white ones. I would try this. It looks very similar to what I am using. http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts1-sf-l-50-cl.htm  Yup go with these white ones. This link is for the large size there is another for medium http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts1-sf-m-50-cl.htm

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #5,230 of 100,490
kiteki:

Burn in is a reality for some headphones/IEMs.  The ATH-CKS77 are a perfect example of that reality.  I lent them to a friend of mine.  They were returned after two weeks.  On first listen after I got them, they did not sound the same as they did two weeks before.  I asked my friend if he had been using them for several hours everyday since he got them.  The answer was: "yes, with an average of 3 hours per day".  I asked him if he had been listening with a fairly high volume level and the answer was: yes!  I could figure that out, just by the improvement in sound quality that I noticed.  It was a blessing to let my friend have my ATH-CKS77 for two weeks instead of just one, as was the initial plan.  For those two weeks, I used the R-50.  Those sound the same to me now as when they were brand new.  Burn in does not seem to take place with those.  But, for the ATH-CKS77, it would take dumb ears not to notice a SQ change after 300+ hours of use.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #5,231 of 100,490
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you!

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts6-cmb-35-bk.htm   Meelec used to have a variety pack. I don't know if this is it or not. but I bought a big variety pack that these tips came with.

You know just looking at these white ones. I would try this. It looks very similar to what I am using. http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts1-sf-l-50-cl.htm  Yup go with these white ones. This link is for the large size there is another for medium http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts1-sf-m-50-cl.htm

OK.  The large (L) stock tips are the perfect size for me.  If they were just a little smaller, they would not give me a tight seal.  If they were bigger, they would also give me a good seal, but the fit would be tighter.  Is that an ATH-CKS77 stock tip that you have in the comparison picture, right next to the Meelectronics one?  If so, which size is it, medium or large?  Which size is the wider bore tip that you placed right next to the stock tip?

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #5,232 of 100,490
Ultimately when I get a $18 DAC that shows up at my desk and it sounds just as great as one of my all time favorite sound cards in the Titanium HD but for $18 with absolute no burn in and I am sitting there for the T1  $200 dac that was too bright for me to actually enjoy trying to think it will somehow change for the better after 24 hours of run in and 2 different tubes.. It didn't take but hearing the 2nd tune on the Ele dac for me the start packing up the AUNE T1..

@ Alberto. I use the large tips mostly on all earphones I have. Yes that smaller holed tip is the stock tip. You can see how that is restrictive compared to the Meelec tip next to it. Both are large tips.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #5,233 of 100,490

I started a thread about trying to see if anyone knew what these are called but its also a discovery because these are quite good for what I'm guessing is like a $20 IEM.  They came with my GoGear Muse and I didn't listen to them at all but about a week ago I gave them a try and man they were very impressive.  Good punchy deep bass, nice mids that are a little recessed, crisp but not harsh highs and a very nice spacious soundstage because over the large ports on the back.  I'm starting a loan tour with them because I think they will impress some people so if you want in let me know but you have to have been an active member for awhile with positive feedback, I'm going to cut it off around 8 to 10 people.

I think they're equal to or maybe just a step behind the MH1C in SQ and they have a U-shaped sound signature.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #5,234 of 100,490
Quote:
As a direct comparison. Something I have used for years is my Titanium HD with the Burr brown PCM1794. I know its sound like the back of my hand cus I listen to it for years day in and day out. When I got the Ele dac how surprised was I when the sound was just as good.. In fact I didn't find anything on the Ele dac that was lacking to my ears..This was the reason why I posted the dac as a headliner.. I know what my ears tell me and this dac is crazy good for the cost. Which in the whole scheme of things cost almost nothing to try out well $18.. Yes I am new to dac/ amps myself and that is perhaps why I enjoy finding these unknowns..I could have easily tried out a E10 or anything else that was already around. But like I mentioned before I am testing some unknowns out as there has to be something to all these units. Why would someone come up with them if they didn't do something was my thought. Now I have a better idea just how much and I am just sharing my experiences with you all..

Ahh.. thanks for your answer. I have heard the titanium hd, so now I know where to compare the ele dac too.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #5,235 of 100,490

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

I started a thread about trying to see if anyone knew what these are called but its also a discovery because these are quite good for what I'm guessing is like a $20 IEM.  They came with my GoGear Muse and I didn't listen to them at all but about a week ago I gave them a try and man they were very impressive.  Good punchy deep bass, nice mids that are a little recessed, crisp but not harsh highs and a very nice spacious soundstage because over the large ports on the back.  I'm starting a loan tour with them because I think they will impress some people so if you want in let me know but you have to have been an active member for awhile with positive feedback, I'm going to cut it off around 8 to 10 people.

I think they're equal to or maybe just a step behind the MH1C in SQ and they have a U-shaped sound signature.

I'm in! I'll make an FR profile for them as per my budget IEM reviews. pm me for address. Now if only you can tell us where you can buy these new separately...?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back