The discovery thread!
Nov 3, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #4,546 of 99,895
Quote:

You will like the Xb90EX. I don't know what the MHC1 sounds like, but IIRC DSnuts said that it is similar, but the sound should be bigger overall. maybe DSnuts will chime in and give some info :)

two things to consider though : stock tips that come with the XB90EX really are a bottleneck for the sound and Burn in Helps a LOT! burn them in long and hard :)

Which tips would you recommend? I think someone mentioned something about auvio tips but they seem to be a radioshack thing and thus are not available here in germany. I was considering something from comply because I always preferred foam and they are mentioned in the forum quite often.

Apropos tips: the tips from the MH1C are really fantastic! Other mentioned they are worth the price alone and I would tend to agree. Great fit and isolation.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #4,547 of 99,895
Quote:
Which tips would you recommend? I think someone mentioned something about auvio tips but they seem to be a radioshack thing and thus are not available here in germany. I was considering something from comply because I always preferred foam and they are mentioned in the forum quite often.

Apropos tips: the tips from the MH1C are really fantastic! Other mentioned they are worth the price alone and I would tend to agree. Great fit and isolation.

I think that the tips that come with MHC1 are wider bored compared to sony hybrids, right? use them on XB90EX too :) or you could get Meelec tips, one of these:

http://www.meelec.com/category_s/383.htm

currently I'm using tips that came with my able planet and are really similar to the meelecs' but meelec tips are even more comfortable, because of the more bubbled shape :) as for meelecs, someone said somewhere here that clear tips are better for treble response, so I would get those. heck, I'd get those tips ASAP, just saving for the JVC FXZ100

almost forgot - I asked the same question about foam tips and people here didn't really recommend them - said that they are bad for high frequencies...

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #4,548 of 99,895
Quote:

I think that the tips that come with MHC1 are wider bored compared to sony hybrids, right? use them on XB90EX too :) or you could get Meelec tips, one of these:

http://www.meelec.com/category_s/383.htm

currently I'm using tips that came with my able planet and are really similar to the meelecs' but meelec tips are even more comfortable, because of the more bubbled shape :) as for meelecs, someone said somewhere here that clear tips are better for treble response, so I would get those. heck, I'd get those tips ASAP, just saving for the JVC FXZ100

almost forgot - I asked the same question about foam tips and people here didn't really recommend them - said that they are bad for high frequencies...

I disagree about the meelec tips. I bought the clear ones and when I got them, they fit loose on the xb90ex.
It's true that the bore is wider but the part that fits on the nozzle of the iem is also wider. It's actually about the same size as the ones that come with the fx40.
I'm not the kind that spends money on tips. I tried that just to make the xb90s worth it.
They did open up the sound quite a bit. But like I said. The fit is loose so it ended up stuck in my ear when I pulled out the xb90s just like the fx40 tips. After that one occurrence, I simply took it out, cleaned them, and put them back in the plastic bag. They're sitting in my drawer. So are the xb90s.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #4,549 of 99,895
Quote:
I disagree about the meelec tips. I bought the clear ones and when I got them, they fit loose on the xb90ex.
It's true that the bore is wider but the part that fits on the nozzle of the iem is also wider. It's actually about the same size as the ones that come with the fx40.
I'm not the kind that spends money on tips. I tried that just to make the xb90s worth it.
They did open up the sound quite a bit. But like I said. The fit is loose so it ended up stuck in my ear when I pulled out the xb90s just like the fx40 tips. After that one occurrence, I simply took it out, cleaned them, and put them back in the plastic bag. They're sitting in my drawer. So are the xb90s.

I just wait till my xb90s get here and then see if I like the tips or not :)

BTW @atomikn00b: you have the xb90s aswell as the MH1Cs, don't you? Could you maybe give me an opinion on how their sound signatures (apart from bass obviously) compare?

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #4,550 of 99,895
Quote:
I just wait till my xb90s get here and then see if I like the tips or not :)

BTW @atomikn00b: you have the xb90s aswell as the MH1Cs, don't you? Could you maybe give me an opinion on how their sound signatures (apart from bass obviously) compare?

you said apart from bass but in short.
xb90 is for true bassheads. you'll be swimming in subbass and good mids. the treble is detailed but I had to adjust to it in order to hear them.

mh1c does everything well.
doesn't excel at everything but does EVERYTHING quite well.

i'm not concerned about the technical aspects yet.
my first goal in iem land was to find my preferred sound signature and mh1c was it.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #4,551 of 99,895
Quote:

I just tried meelec tip that was never used before and therefor not stretched. it sits quite securely imo. it is strange that happened to you :| 

btw, have you tried the MHC1 tips on XB90EX? they are wider than hybrids, right?

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #4,552 of 99,895
Quote:
you said apart from bass but in short.
xb90 is for true bassheads. you'll be swimming in subbass and good mids. the treble is detailed but I had to adjust to it in order to hear them.

mh1c does everything well.
doesn't excel at everything but does EVERYTHING quite well.

i'm not concerned about the technical aspects yet.
my first goal in iem land was to find my preferred sound signature and mh1c was it.

I think I just started on my way to know what my preferred sound signature is, so it'll be interesting to compare different ones. I'll always thought of myself as a basshead but I think it's time to experiment a bit with the other possibilities. I'll definitely keep an eye out for a good offer on the XBA-3 just because I'm curious on their refinement of the MH1Cs.

P.S.: I think I caught the head-fi virus ^^

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #4,553 of 99,895
2 days straight picking the sony's over the fxd70's.............

Watching EWF concert live on blueray thru my Fire Phoneix... For the second time cause once was not enough, And thas all i am gonna say..........

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #4,555 of 99,895
Holy smokes.
I hit the treble boost preset from my awesome beats app (because as I said i felt like the treble was literally begging to be let out. constantly whispering to me that what I'm hearing isn't what I should be hearing).

Anyways.
This sound. It's grea!. It's like the stock speakers in my old 1990 mazda protege with a decent subwoofer added.  And yes. I said 1990.
Do you know how long I've been looking for that sound?!?!?!?!
Looks like when my other two mh1c's arrive I'll be trying that suggested mod on ClieOS's thread.

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #4,557 of 99,895
Quote:
I have been searching the whole thread looking for comments on the differences(in terms of sound quality) between the jvc fxd60, 70 and 80 and I've found nothing, I know it is somewhere in the thread but am too lazy to search through a 300 pages thread, so can someone post the differences between these 3 models again?

Ericp10 and dsnuts have summarized their opinions a few times. Do an advanced search in this thread for "70" by user ericp10 or dsnuts. Here's some recent impressions by eric:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-sony-mh1c-are-for-real-pg-283-the-sony-mdr-xb90ex-danny-bs-take-pg-182/4425#post_8830249

Do the same in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612299/jvcs-micro-hd-line-revamped-for-2012-ha-fxd80-70-60

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #4,558 of 99,895
Hello 304 page thread...

Been lurking this thread for a while to keep up to date on the developments of the budget fi in ears that headfi has been liking. Since getting the etymotic hf3, I have been able to resist buying things from here for quite some time (basically since the 8320 and the philips she3580 were popular). These new sonys have me interested though.

The thing that I like about the etymotics is the detail that they provide. Now, ignoring sound signatures completely, how would the sonys compare to BA etymotics? A "beater" iem that could provide a bunch of detail would be great. Also if people have them instead, how it would compare to the "ety-like" dynamic iems (re0, rexxx, etc.). I know they are just $20-$30 iems right now, but no sense spending the money if it's not going to appeal to me.

On a somewhat different note, does anyone have a picture of the "J" cord that seems to be bugging a lot of people? A quick google search gave a bunch of pictures with the cord wrapped or otherwise difficult to determine the minute details that would cause it to be irritating.

Thanks thread :beerchug:

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #4,559 of 99,895
well, i forgot how much detail i was getting from the tf10. xba-3 bring it all out, i dont think as much kick as the tf10, or the same soundstage, but its all there.
all those who like their bass, and like the mh1c, i cant recommend upgrading unless you want hi-fi detail, precision ect.

will let my mind get used to these for a bit... i know there is no burn in on these, but i heard once that there is like an hour or two to burn, is that true?

Nov 3, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #4,560 of 99,895
The highs for me on open box seem to be a bit metallic for me. The tweeters are the only drivers that seem to need a break in period more than the other drivers. They become much better with some use. The rest of the sound is set however.  I don't think you have to do a big volume burn in that we normally do for dynamics. Just running music through the earphones at normal volumes overnight should do it.

The reason why it seems there is more bass on the TF10 is the lesser flatter mids they have that emphasized the bass end more and the they are easier to drive than the XBA-3s also. When I volume match the XBA-3 to the TF10. The bass is very comparable if not more. This was when I had both to A/B at once.  XBA-3 has better balance than the TF10 and way better tonality.. The sound stage also might not sound as wide but you will be surprised. It all depends on how a tune was recorded on the XBA-3s. I have had some tunes that sound like the stage is as wide as the actual performance took place..I am sure with some more time you will hear the differences. I bet if I sent you my TF10. You will be surprised just how much better the XBA-3 is overall.. The tuning is vastly superior imo.

Just an observation. I noticed the XBA-3s don't need more power to sound their best. What I mean is even though they are harder to drive than most iems. They absolutely shine from a portable source with no amp. The SQ I am getting from just my Sony Z1060 is astounding to begin with but when amped I don't feel they scale like the MH1C does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back